16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bill Hanus Test Loads
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

I have been ask by Bill Hanus to provide 2 Flats of my loads for his testing , he will conduct these test over the next few months shooting these loads from Sea Level to over 8,000 Feet

Bill is going to write a series of articals that will appear in 4 different publications .

I have loaded the following New 69MM Cheddite Hull with primer , DR 116 3/4 - 7/8 OZ Wad , 20 Grains of Rex - 1 , 3/4 OZ #9 Shot , .060 Crimp Depth , over the shot card .

Here is pic of the loads and crimps and a pic of the candled wad as it is nudged by the crimp only , the wad does all the work , no pressure at all on wad seating .

Regards Charles
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

Chuck!!
Yeee Hawww!!!!
Awesome pictures, What JOY!!
I can hardly wait until wads are available
Mike
Black&Tan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Have those loads been tested by Armbrust, Charles??

And, will that loading data be coming with the wads? What is your best guess of when wads with data will be available?

Thanx!
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

No these loads are on the way to Precision Reloaders in SD , Keith is going to test this batch for me .

I doubt if any of this data will be included with the wads , the American based powders will have the data work up .

I am not sure when they will hit the dealers but my guess would be around the middle to end of April , just a guess mind you .

Regards Charles
prefsnider
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:37 pm  Reply with quote

Why did you use Rex-1 and not one of the more common powders?
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:20 am  Reply with quote

Rex is what I have been shooting for a good number of years now , I only wish it were made in the US it is a wonderful powder indeed , but just not made in this country .

I know folks with slide rules will tell me otherwise but it is one of the most efficent , clean burning , consistant and economical powders I have ever shot , the only powder I have ever thought more of was the Accurate Nitro 100 when it was made by IMI , now it is made in the Balkins and not the same powder .

Regards Charles
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:34 am  Reply with quote

I forgot to give you this Black & Tan , for liability reasons, it is a lengthy process to work up data for just one load it takes about 144 shells if everything goes , right not just a few loads sent off to Tom .

All I am sending Keith is 3 rounds enough for my comfort zone but not enough for a true blown data sheet .

It is quite expensive to work up data so a few loads will be done at a time and the list will be built upon as can be in the future .

Also it will give you folks a fun time building up your favorite loads as well .

I will focus on the Ultra fast and fast burn rate powders for my use and let everyone else work on the other .

Regards Charles
Black&Tan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Charles,

So, will we have to wait for all the data to be finished before wads become available, or will you pass along the pressure readings of your REX loads so we can get started?

Champin' at the bit...
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

I'm sure the low pressure group boys (me included) will jump on things when the wads are released. I'll be starting with International Clays.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

Hello B&T :

When the wads ship they will have 4-5 loads worked up with acompaning data , I will jump on Bullseye powder for the next loads for me .

The Rex load are the High Velocity for hunting for myself and the bullseye will be my target loads I think .

I am going to start working on a 3/4 or 13/16 OZ @ 1600 + fps I will see just how far I can strech the envelope with the small shot .

Slow powders have no place in my world for upland shooting or target shooting , burns the hulls up too dang bad , I want as many loadings as I can get out of a hull and slow powders are contrary to hull life , just scorches the life out of the plastic , kinda like a steak not well done just plain ole burnt .

Regards Charles
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:04 pm  Reply with quote

Charles,
Whatcha' using as a reloader? Take your point about the slower powders shortening case life, for 12 and 20 ga I can pick hulls up for free at the ranges, so I don't care about not getting many loads out of them. But buying the 16ga cheddites and having them start cracking up after 4-5 loads is starting to annoy me.
Cheers,
R*2
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:12 am  Reply with quote

Rrusse11 wrote:
But buying the 16ga cheddites and having them start cracking up after 4-5 loads is starting to annoy me.
Cheers,
R*2

Is there a 16 gauge hull available, that will consistantly give you more than 5 reloads? Personally, I think the Cheddite hull is the best hull going for the 16 gauge. I would love to have it in STS or AA, but so far it's just not ment to be.
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:50 am  Reply with quote

Charles, I couldn't find through a quick search of the forums, but do you know what powders WILL be used in the data included with the wads? I've emailed Alliant and Hodgdon, heard back from Hodgdon saying "Nope, I have no idea. It is so far down the priority list for the lab it is not even on the schedule"

If we have an idea of powder(s) used to make up loads with the wad, we can guide our powder purchases! I'm all for Alliant powders if Winchester, IMR and Hodgdon aren't being worked with, at least by the producer.

kgb
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:30 am  Reply with quote

You guys are going to have take some control of this yourself.
Get together and have some guys work up some loads and have them tested. talk with each other, so you don't duplicate loads, and you'll have data in a matter of weeks, instead of months.
I wouldn't rely on anyone to do this but yourself, if you want it done in a timely manor.

Maybe we need to start a seperate post, with who's going to test what.
And then the data can be posted when it becomes available.
I will be working up some low pressure loads when the wads are available.
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:38 am  Reply with quote

I disagree, as I'm only talking about what it will take to get the wads out.

Charles, correct this if it's wrong, but the wads WILL NOT BE RELEASED to the public without data included. From a liability standpoint, they'd be cutting their own throats sending them out without tested data.

kgb