16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bill Hanus Test Loads
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

I am afraid that the powder companies are not going to give this wad a second look, until they absolutely have to. 16 Gauge stuff just isn't that important to them. If it doesn't start with 12 gauge...

The best bet is Tom Armbrust or Precision Reloading, they can probably get stuff going as they aren't backlogged with their own powder and agenda issues.

Dave Miles,

You gotta understand my friend, this isn't going to be cheap. 10 shot strings are going to be at least $125.00 a piece. Trust me, there will be a lot of strings to get good data. If you want the lab to load them, the price goes up farther. I bet that on average, one load costs close to $300.00 to develop. That is for the easy target loads, by a small lab. Plus the cost of printing the data sheets, plus the cost of the wad mold, plus the cost of plastic, plus the set-up time cost, plus maintenance fees on the molds, plus the actual molding time, plus ++++++++. And you haven't even marketed this wad yet!!!!

Unfortunately, if we, as 16 gauge shooters, really want this wad we are ALL going to have to help. Nobody is getting rich making a 16 Gauge wad. That is why the big boys aren't offering us much.

Last edited by dogchaser37 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Black&Tan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
I'm sure the low pressure group boys (me included) will jump on things when the wads are released. I'll be starting with International Clays.

Way to go Dave..

That sounds like a great starting point.. for me at least..

I see we've got some good people on the case!
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:

Dave Miles,

You gotta understand my friend, this isn't going to be cheap. 10 shot strings are going to be at least $125.00 a piece. Plus the cost of printing the data sheets, plus the cost of the wad mold, plus the cost of plastic, plus the set-up time cost, plus maintenance fees on the molds, plus ++++++++.

Unfortunately, if we, as 16 gauge shooters, really want this wad we are ALL going to have to help. Trust me, nobody is getting rich making a 16 Gauge wad. That is why the big boys aren't offering us much.

I'm affraid you lost me. I'm not talking about making this wad, I'm taking about getting different loads tested that are of interest to us.
I know what it cost to have loads test, as I've paid to have 60 or 70 loads tested myself. When these wads are become available with their 3 or 4 tested loads. I will buy some wads, make up some loads, and pay to have them tested. Your correct, it won't be cheap, but it won't cost you a nickle.
If the few loads that are available with this wad, aren't to you're liking. You'll have to do something yourself, or be at someone else's mercy.
The choice is yours.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:08 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,

I believed that you were talking about what Charles and Downrange needed to do.

Sorry.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like Catch 22 to me. Wads will not be released without load data but there is no load data because the wads aren't being released.

WHO'S IN CHARGE OF THIS GOAT SCREW? Oh yeah the Lawyers.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

It would be nice if the 16 gauge low pressure group could get some of these wads ahead of the general public for testing.

Like we all did, when I submitted a load for the Gualandi 20 gauge wad, Rem hull with International Clays there was some cautious "wildcatting" involved. My goal was a fillerless 7/8 oz load with a clean burn and moderate pressure.

I studied manuals and loads long and hard, looked at what was working in the 20 gauge, while staying away from the ultra fast burning 12 gauge target powders, and felt I was putting together a reasonable combination. I then test fired on my own with my own chronograph and found I had the velocity where I wanted it with a pretty low standard deviation. Then I sent 3 loads to Tom Armbrust, and at that time he charged $5.00 per shell for testing. As it turned out the loads were at 9000 psi and this has been a rock solid load. Turned out by dropping to 3/4 oz I get a slightly concave crimp and they shoot wonderfully, too. I'm comfortable not even testing those as they are 1/8 oz less shot, and the pressure aint going to be higher!

I think Dave Miles has it right regarding us, the low pressure group, getting together and talking through some load ideas and having a strategy. If we need to wait for some "official loads" to be generated by the powder companies before the wads are marketed to the general public, so be it. At least we'll have the loads "we" really want developed and ready to go.

Last edited by Dave Erickson on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

I was givin some of these wads about 4 months ago. I studied my existing data, and hand weighed about 4 different loads to get tested. (5 shells in each bracket) Then I found out the actual wads to be produced, will have a larger dia. base section. Well, no since testing these loads for low pressure, if the wads are going to change. Confused I'll just wait till the wads are available to the public, and no my own development from there.
I'm not real big on a 5/8 or 3/4 oz load for the 16 gauge anyways.
I've got a 28 gauge for that. Wink
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

Folks I will post some info on the wad progress thread .

Regards Charles

and I have found out that I cannot post my load data , dang law thing so I will have to work on my own thing .
carpe dm
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

I'll look forward to the wads AND the data! Very Happy

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

I visited with Keith yesterday and found out this load to produce 1470 FPS and the 11,500 PSI mark on pressure , this is pushing the limit in the 75 degree temp , would be much less in hunting weather .

So off to Bill Hanus the Loads go .

Regards Charles
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

Charles, that sounds like a very interesting load. What shot size were you testing with? 7.5?