16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  7/8 oz Load for Federal Hulls
spr310
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser. You are right. The powder manufacturers designed powders for different rates of burning. Clays a fast burning powder for target loads. In a 16 gauge hull used for 3/4oz or 7/8oz loads. In 12 gauge can be used up to 1 1/8oz loads. Why? Because the rate of burning is controlled also by the volume of the hull. Once you load your hulls with a certain powder, now the burning rate is decided by you. What primer you use, what wad, amount of powder, amount of shot and above all how good of crimp you placed on that hull. If you have a poor crimp and get a blooper you effected the rate of burn for the powder. You'd better look down the barrel and see if the wad is there. The manufacturer did there job, but you didn't do yours.
[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

16 GG

No shit Sherlock, you finally realized the point.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:
16 GG

No shit Sherlock, you finally realized the point.

Again, thanks for being such a gentleman. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

You Know GG, you take a guy right to the limit, then you expect royal treatment. It doesn't work that way.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

I'm sorry there DC. I just do not get you. I've simply been rewriting the same understanding of the subject I've had for some time. All I've been doing is changing and rearranging some of the words and terms to try and get my concept across and come to some mutual understanding. Now I'm asking myself why.

After all your short tempered horse manure, you suddenly write that I "get it". At least, I think that is what you mean by your "No shit Sherlock." retort.

Sorry to disappoint you there DC, but I did not suddenly "get" anything. I already had it. Get it?

I guess you are just another short tempered nut ball without a shred of patience who's joined up for the cruise. Welcome aboard. Please make sure you have your meds packed. You're probably gonna need them. Laughing

Of yeah, I almost forgot. Razz Razz Razz .
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

How can you call a guy short tempered, when we have twice had this long back and forth. The only guy that has changed his wording is you, and then you tell me that basically I am full of B.S.

If I am incorrect about this subject, then someone needs to present some evidence.

I believe one of my last posts makes it clear. With the Winchester hull example.

You talk about burn rate as if you can manipulate it at will. You can't. Even when you change components to get more velocity or less pressure, you can't change the powder 'burn rate' you can only work within the perimeters that the 'burn rate' affords you.

It is you that won't give in and agree that we are basically just at odds over the defintion of 'burn rate'. Then you edited your post and made my point when you acknowledged that the closed bomb test is how the powder companies rank a given powder by burn rate.

I thought you had finally got it. Guess I was wrong about you again. I was truly hoping for some common ground.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Bruce do you think you could jump in here and help out ????

Hey Mike do you think you could jump in here and help out ???

Regards Charles
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

Charles no help needed, my friend, but Thank You for your concern. As you can tell I need to learn to ignore stuff. I need to learn your ability to be a true gentleman.

I have learned my lesson, again, the hard way.

I just shouldn't respond to 16 Gaugeguy.

Everything will be fine.
spr310
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

What do you need help with. 7th and 8th graders can understand it as they build there rockets. Why can't a bunch of grown men get it? It's in black and white and easy to understand if you just stop and think for a couple of minutes. For christs sake, take some powder, through it in a coffee can and throw in a match, it will just sit and burn slow, I don't care what powder you use. Make a rocket with a pcv pipe and make sure it is tight and light off the powder with a fuse and it will fly. Pressure makes the powder burn at a faster Rate
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37, when will you be headed West to Texas?
Amarillo specifically?

We NEED to go shoot some FUN stuff.

I have a private clay pigeon shooting location.
We can shoot LOTS of ammo with no one bothering Very Happy

Enjoy the day

Mike
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds good Mike.

Be careful on the invite, I just might take you up on the idea. I have a business trip to Vegas in a few months. I could take a detour on the way home.

I suppose you folks in West Texas are shooting in short sleeves by now
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

SPR310

you understand the topic less than the other guy.

Read his posts shake your head yes, and you will be on your way.
spr310
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:
SPR310

you understand the topic less than the other guy.

Read his posts shake your head yes, and you will be on your way.

That's what you say. Like I said 7th and 8th graders understand it better. You just can't stand that anybody may know something. Have a good day. He's right and you are wrong, period.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:12 am  Reply with quote

DC, frankly, none of this stuff is all that serious to get all hot and bothered over unless we know for certain someone is heading into danger--like trying to up the performance of a max load. As long as folks stick to moderate loads and sound guns, a bit of pressure change either way will not hurt a thing.

You will come to realize that the madder you get and the harder you push, the more I will yank on your chain and the less I will be likely to step back.
I've been on this site for some time. I've made friends. I've made some enemies too. I have never intentionally tried to hurt anyone or take unfair advantage of anyone. I'm as patient as a clam in most situations, and can take a lot of heat. But I do not let folks intimidate or bully me. I simply let their anger roll of my back and go sailing right along enjoying myself.

I figure we all have a right to our opinions and also a right to add to the input. We do not always have to be right. I've been wrong a number of times. When I've finally realized it, I simply say so and move on. It's not all that hard to do. Yup, folks have poked fun at me. Why not. I enjoy the humor and laugh too. If I can't laugh at myself, I figure its gonna be a long sad life for me. Hell, sometimes I just plain crack me up. Laughing

We are having a "failure to communicate." I think you understand what you are stating, but can't seem to agree on the words and terms being used. So why can't we agree to disagree on the terms and simly acknowledge each other for having some understanding of this matter. As long as folks aren't gonna get hurt, what's the harm. It's up to you. Thanks for listening.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

GG,

I already acknowledged that fact 2 topics ago.

Bye.