16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Biodegradable wads?
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:00 am  Reply with quote

Charles mentioned in the new wad update post that future runs of the new wads will be made of biodegradable plastic, and will have a two year shelf life. I didn't even realize any wads were made like this. Does anyone know what other 16 ga wads have a shelf life?
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:22 am  Reply with quote

There aren't any other 16 Gauge wads currently offered to the reloader, that are biodegradable.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:35 am  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:
There aren't any other 16 Gauge wads currently offered to the reloader, that are biodegradable.

Unless you want to use fiber wads. Wink
Black&Tan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:44 am  Reply with quote

I don't want wads with a 2 year shelf life!
I've got old wad designations around here probably from the 1960... May or may not ever find a use for 'em again, but at least they haven't biodegraded to dust, and someday they just might be pressed back into service..

Lead shot in a biodegradeable wad?? Makes sense.. I'll do my part for the environment by adding a little cereal filler to a light load to feed the birds at the range...
bcpifish
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

All plastic wads degrade or deteriorate over time, losing pliability and flexibility. This process is exacerbated by heat and/or direct sunlight (UV?).

So the issue here is how fast the degradation will take place and what is the process? Does the wad only degrade in sunlight? What effect will extreme heat (desert SW type heat) have on the degradation process? I don't mind a two year shelf life, if I get the two years. I hope that Down Range will clearly mark all packaging with the date of mfg. and any special storage requirements that will inhibit the degradation process.

If the wad is only good for two years from the date of mfg., I want to know it. What I really don't want is to purchase a bag (I won't buy case amounts if they are biodegradable, as I don't think I can shoot that many in that short a time!) that is 20 months old and only have a few months left to load the wad. Further, I'd like to know what happens to the wad in a loaded shell. I have many boxes of shells that are well over 2 years old. Will the wad continue to degrade in the loaded hull? Hmmmm!

Next time I talk to either Kevin or Charles H. I will bring these questions up.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

I think those are good questions bcpifish.

I'm with B&T on this and I hope I can get in on the regular plastic wads from Downrange/Charles before they switch to the bio's.
Square Load
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:49 pm  Reply with quote

I think they should make the long life plastic wad the regular item and make the biodegadable as an option for those who like that kind of thing.

I hate to see them setting a precedent like this. The anti's and hugger's will want all wads made this way. I don't think a few wads laying around the country side are screwing up the environment. I have never heard of any birds or animals dying from eating them either. They are certainly less noticeable than empty hulls.

Dennis

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:38 am  Reply with quote

I think they should make these new wads, so they desolve in water. That way they'll last forever in your basement, you shoot them, they get rained on and their gone. I won't buy any wads that are designed to self destruct in 2 years. At least not in large amounts. And you have to buy components in large amounts, to keep cost down. Confused
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:37 am  Reply with quote

Why not edible ones. We can shoot 'em, then pick them up and have a snack. Laughing Make mine chocolate please. Cool