16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Old A5 loads
wigeon jim
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

Hi all this is my first post on this great forum, i have been given an old bulgium made A5 16 gauge no.FN20029 with short chambers,with info seen on this site i had to change its setting and fit a washer in font of the barrel ring to keep the barrel in the right place,shot it yesterday at some pigeons with no problems,as i have been handloading 8,10,12,20 gauge hulls for a few years i am now looking for some 16 gauge loads for this gun,i have longshot,bluedot,steel powder but will get the powder you all think is best, i also have the vp80 multi metal wads as well as some 1oz wads, any info would be greatfully receved on any lead or steel loads if this gun would be ok with small steel, also does anyone how old this gun is,many thanks,
Jim.

bowbuilder
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum.

My first suggestion in to join the Low Pressure Group. It is a Yahoo based group that many of us here belong to. There is a wealth of reloading data there now, available in an excel file...including many 2.5" loads, which would work great for your gun.

Longshot is a very useful 16 ga powder, from fast 1 oz loads to 1 1/4 oz loads. There are a few loads for bluedot for 1 1/8 and 1 1/4oz loads...but I think they are all for 2 3/4 inch shells. There a very, very few loads for STEEL (the powder), and they are all 1 1/8 oz or heavier.

For 1 oz loads, my favorite powder is Universal.

Greendot and Unique are popular to.

Check the Low Pressure Group out first, then choose your powder from the data provided for whatever load you want.

Have Fun.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

wJim: Do not use steel shot in that classic. I would second the recommendation of joining the low pressure group. I was going to recommend getting some shells from RST (2 1/2") however, I see you are in Scotland. I would recommend you get some new cheddite or Fiocchi cases and cut them to 2 9/16" or 2 1/2". Lots of loads listed on the low pressure group site. Somebody will chime in here with a date of your gun pretty soon. I don't understand about using a washer under the barrel ring?

Matt
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

Hello
Here is what you can do.

Cut a Remington hull to 2.5 inches.

Use a Rem 209P primer

17.0 grains of Hodgdon Universal Clays

Gualandi 16 Gauge Super G mini -TUWG1816 wad
http://www.precisionreloading.com/2004catalog.htm

7/8 ounce of shot

Six point crimp

Great load. About 1200 Feet per second

Mike
wigeon jim
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

Hi, thanks all for the info, i have joined the low pressure reloading group and receved lots of info via email, but to use there web site do i have to set up a hahoo account to enter it? Jim.

Rrusse11
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

Jim,
Add some Unique and or Herco to your Alliant lineup, GreenDot for light loads.
Guessing here that the Gualandi wads should be available, the 1618 will load 3/4 or 7/8 oz loads with no need for fillers. Rio and Fiochi primers, cheddite hulls are all Euro manufacture. Actually the only thing american I'm shooting in my 16ga reloads is the powder, lol, most of the shot I get is "Eagle", made in Peru. Lots of help here and over on Shotgunworld.com on the Browning forum for all things A5.
And yes, you may have to register with Yahoo to get in to the website.
Cheers,
R*2