16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Three Peice Winchester hull reloads
Little Creek
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

I have a supply of the late model 3 peice winchester super x hulls. Has anyone reloaded these? I particularly like 7/8 ounce loads. Thanks!
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, I have and usually use the Winchesters for heavy loads.

I have 3 tested loads two for PB and one for Green Dot. with B & P 16 gauge wads. All with Winchester 209 primers.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:48 am  Reply with quote

Little Creek wrote:
I have a supply of the late model 3 peice winchester super x hulls. Has anyone reloaded these? I particularly like 7/8 ounce loads. Thanks!

Since the demise of the Winchester AA16 hull the latest Winchester hull, which for all intents and purposes is a Cheddite or Cheddite clone, has become one of the most popular hulls for reloading. The 16 gauge reloaders group has quite a number of loads for this hull using components available in your area. There are more loads being developed as Charles Hammacks new wad becomes available from Down Range. This wad will allow the loading of light shot and powder charges without the use of filler materials which will speed your loading time if not possibly improve the quality of your reloads.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:03 am  Reply with quote

Is it okay to use "all purposes and intents" instead? Cool
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:03 pm  Reply with quote

"Is it okay to use "all purposes and intents" instead?"

NO! Laughing
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:45 am  Reply with quote

[quote="shootingsioux"]TB -- The latest Win 16's are not Cheddite clones. They are the real thing -- made by Cheddite -- Cheddites in every way except for the lack of stars in the headstamp. Load them with any recipe for Cheddites. They work great. You need a wad suitable for thin wall Rieffenhauser hulls such as Fiocchi, Cheddite, hulls. i.e. Big enough diameter to prevent powder migration. Use B&P, Gualandi, or Cheddite wads. Remington and Claybuster Winchester AA clone wads will be disappointing, giving powder migration problems with fine-grained powders in shells you carry a lot (hunting). You can get away with these wads if you use large flake powders (Unique, Herco, Green Dot) and only carry them a little (to the skeet range), or screw around with add-on pieces of polyethylene sheet to make them fit tighter, but it probably isn't worth it. Get the right wads. These cases load beautifully.[/quote]

X2, I just finished a trial batch of a cut back shorty load in this Win hull that will be on their way to Tom A. for testing. They loaded and roll crimped great. I'm sending the exact same recipe in a Ched and Fed hull along for a side to side comparison. Mike

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:27 am  Reply with quote

shootingsioux wrote:
TB -- The latest Win 16's are not Cheddite clones. They are the real thing -- made by Cheddite -- Cheddites in every way except for the lack of stars in the headstamp. Load them with any recipe for Cheddites. They work great. These cases load beautifully.

Tony that is good to know however, Winchester 16 gauge shells are currently made in Australia and since the hulls do not have the Cheddite trade mark stars I didn't want to make a statement that might not have been accurate. As you well know other manufactures that use the Cheddite hull retain the stars on the case head. Did Winchester strike a deal with Cheddite to drop the stars when Winchester started using their hulls in their offshore manufacturing?
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
Tony that is good to know however, Winchester 16 gauge shells are currently made in Australia and since the hulls do not have the Cheddite trade mark stars I didn't want to make a statement that might not have been accurate. As you well know other manufactures that use the Cheddite hull retain the stars on the case head. Did Winchester strike a deal with Cheddite to drop the stars when Winchester started using their hulls in their offshore manufacturing?

Here's a link to Cheddite's website - click on "empty cases". If you will look at the bottom of their chart they state that you can buy their hulls with your own headstamp - I'm sure it's simply an extra charge with a minimum order quantiy.

http://www.cheddite.com/indexENG.htm
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:20 am  Reply with quote

[quote="FlyChamps"][quote="Twice Barrel"]Tony that is good to know however, Winchester 16 gauge shells are currently made in Australia and since the hulls do not have the Cheddite trade mark stars I didn't want to make a statement that might not have been accurate. As you well know other manufactures that use the Cheddite hull retain the stars on the case head. Did Winchester strike a deal with Cheddite to drop the stars when Winchester started using their hulls in their offshore manufacturing?[/quote]

Here's a link to Cheddite's website - click on "empty cases". If you will look at the bottom of their chart they state that you can buy their hulls with your own headstamp - I'm sure it's simply an extra charge with a minimum order quantiy.

http://www.cheddite.com/indexENG.htm[/quote]

Do I smell the possibilty of a 16ga Society stamped hull? That'd be pretty cool. With enough volume I wonder what the cost might be. Hmmm?