16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Finally a 16!
GP16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

Hi guys, really like this site! Finally bought a Mod 12 16 and really want to get into reloading. I am going to buy a couple flats of B&P to get by for a bit but tell me what I need to reload the 16. I live in South Dakota so I am gunning for pheasants with clays during the summer for fun. I am thinking a MEC reloader. Who makes the best hulls? Who has the better deals online for components. I am very rural so ordering online is the best option for components. Point me in the right direction. Thanks guys!
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

GP16 first thing you need to do is drop Russ Gray a private message (he posts as RWG) and join the 16 gauge reloaders group. As far a loaders go I think a MEC Grabber would be a good choice to get started with. When it comes to components Graf & Sons has the best prices around and their shipping is lower than anyone else in the business. To start with I would recommend a powder and all components for that matter that are pretty much available anywhere such as Unique or Green Dot. Lots of good loads for both powders. Primers again I would choose one that is available in your area, Winchester 209s are pretty much the standard. They may cost a bit more but you don't have to worry about running all over the place looking for them and you don't have to pay the $20.00 Hazardous Materials fee to have them shipped in. For hulls it is more practical to start with loaded hulls and make your own empties. I would recommend getting a couple flats of Winchester Super X one ounce loads to shoot at clays over the summer and then load them for birds in the fall (Winchester Super xs use a Cheddite or Cheddite clone hull) or you can purchase new primed Cheddite hulls from Grafs pretty reasonably. For wads there are a bunch, I prefer the Gualandi 1621 for one ounce and lighter loads, other folks have differing opinions. At some point there will be a wad available from Downrange which was designed by a board member that will handle light loads from 7/8th ounces down to 5/8th ounces.
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

Totally agree with the above post... I can understand your situation with wanting to buy online but due to either the Hazmat and/or shipping costs, I would look into your local shooting range to pick up your shot, powder and primers. I can get most of these items from my local ranges at close to the online prices esp. if you include the Hazmat and shipping costs. The only items I do purchase online are hulls and wads. You can buy factory 16 gauge ammo esp. with a special deal on shipping. I rather shoot the factory ammo and just reload the empties...

Good luck...
GP16
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:12 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help so far! This is a nice classy site!