16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New Guy and a question
AWS Ron
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

Good Evening,
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My Screen name is AWS Ron. I live in a small town in mid-Michigan and am on the far side of 50. I started hunting at age 14 with my 16 gauge Savage 720 and used nothing else until Steel shot came along in the 70's. I currently own 3 16s, the 720, a 1939 Model 12 and a new Remington 1100 that I plan to use on decoying ducks. I have been lurking on this site for a month or two since I discovered it and enjoy the wealth of knowledge (and differing opinions that I have seen). Now since this is the reloading forum, I have a question. I am loading some Cheddite hull using a formula from the Hodgon web page and am having issues with the load not filling the hull. I have checked all of the amounts by weight and they are correct, but the hull has too much space left for a good crimp. The load is
Cheddite Hull
WAA16 wad
19.9 gns Univeral
Cheddite 209 Primer
Has anyone else noticed a similar issue with Cheddite hulls
Thanks

Iver Johnson Champion
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

Hello AWS Ron
Welcome, Welcome, Welcome
Yes, but easily solved by a cherrio in the bottom of the wad cup.
What reloader are you using?

What did you say your shot charge was?

Enjoy the day
Mike
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Ron,
How much shot? Lots of solutions whatever you're loading, some here use cheerios, others pinto beans,,,, depends on what flavor you like your bird.
Personally I prefer an undershot wad of cardboard, cut with a hollow punch set, easily obtainable on Ebay. 9/16" works for me. Though these days, with a growing range of available wads, I've usually got something that'll bring the overal powder wad shot column to an appropriate height.
Cheers,
R*2
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:14 am  Reply with quote

[quote="AWS Ron"]Good Evening,
I am loading some Cheddite hull using a formula from the Hodgon web page and am having issues with the load not filling the hull. I have checked all of the amounts by weight and they are correct, but the hull has too much space left for a good crimp. The load is
Cheddite Hull
WAA16 wad
19.9 gns Univeral
Cheddite 209 Primer
Has anyone else noticed a similar issue with Cheddite hulls
Thanks[/quote]

Welcome aboard! How much shot is in this recipe? And, what preasure are you seating the wad with? I ask because sometimes too much could be collapsing the wads' crush section creating space for the shot column.

AWS Ron
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:50 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. In answer to the questions:
1. The loader is a Lee Loadall- I know not great, but it's what I have until I can find dies for my Pacific 155 or the right deal on a MEC.
2. The shot charge is 1oz of #9's
3. I have tried varing the wad pressure, but with the Lee it's hard to tell. I did take the shells apart and don't see any wad damage though.
I will try the cherrios or cardboard in the wad.

Thanks
AWS Ron

Iver Johnson Champion
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:26 am  Reply with quote

Ron,
Have you got the real WAA 16? Practically a collector's item I'd imagine. Claybuster has a clone out, and though it lists as a 1oz wad, I've found that the shotcup is more suited to 1 1/8oz. Use some kind of filler in the bottom of the cup, you just want to displace a bit of shot to bring the column up.
Cheers,
R*2
old colonel
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:40 am  Reply with quote

Reference the leftover space in the hull causing crimp problems: The earlier post on stating put a cheerio in the hull to fill the space is one workable solution. Another book solution would be to use a 28 gauge felt or cork insert in the bottom of your shot cup. These can be purchased from a number of places to include Ballistic Products.

Reference the discussion on the WAA16, I actually have bags and bags of them as well as AA Hulls. At one time the 16 AA was all I shot and reloaded. I got busy for awhile and did not reload for a couple of years and now that I am back to it I hoard them and save them for hunting loads while I use other stuff (Fiochi, Remington, Win Poly) for the clays range.

bowbuilder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:59 am  Reply with quote

AWS Ron:

The type and size of lead you are using might be the problem as well. For instance 7.5's will displace a different volume than # 9's given the same type of lead. The recipe could have been made with a larger pellet. Or the problem might be type of lead. By this I mean antimony content of your shot. A high antimony shot pellet weighs less than a low antimony or pure lead pellet. The result is that 1 oz high antimony lead will take up more volume than 1oz of pure lead.