16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New Wad: 1 oz. loads in Federal Hull?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:19 am  Reply with quote

Since this new wad takes up more space to allow light loads to crimp effectively, would it also hold true that this new wad could be used for 1 oz. loads in 2 3/4" Federal hulls without having to use puffed wheat or spacers? If so, this could be my new go-to clays and light hunting wad.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:58 am  Reply with quote

The B & P 16 ga wad is already a perfect fit for one ounce loads in the Federal hull.

With a one ounce load a good portion of the lead will not be in the shot cup, and you will have to crush the lliving sh*t out of the new wad for it to fit into the hull, with an oversize load of lead.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

I thought the B&P 16ga. wad is the same thing as the sg16 wad from ballistic products. Is it different? The sg wad doesn't take up enough space in a 2 3/4" hull for me without using puffed wheat.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

Not sure what an SG wad is. Baschieri & Pellagri (B & P) 16 gauge wad sold by Precision Reloading and Ballistic Products, is the wad I am referring to.

Precision sells it as Baschieri & Pellagri. Ballsitics sells it under some stupid name, trap commander, I believe, but the B & P wad works perfectly if you have proper load data.

If you are trying to use 700x, Red Dot, Clays or one of the faster burning powders, you probably will have to use fillers. Unique, Universal or SR 7625 are really better choices and you won't end up with filler wads.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Ok, that makes sense. I do have the trap commander wads you're speaking of, but I still have to use fillers because I'm using longshot, which doesn't take up much space. I'll be trying Unique or Universal soon to see how different they perform. I like longshot, but it does kick. I think I'll start using it for hunting loads only.

dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

Two things about these wads.

1) Do not use any wad pressure, if you crush the wad 'legs' you will mess up the wad column height. The crimp will take care of wad pressure.

2) If you are using a MEC Reloader be careful not to have the plunger in the final crimp die set too deep, as it will give a concave crimp, and have you looking to add fillers, when you don't need to. The best way to set it is to back it off too far and slowly creep up on the right setting.

Longshot should be OK.