16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Turkeys
sheabert
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a decent 16ga turkey load? i have longshot and fed/win/cheddite hulls. I was thinking 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 of 5's. Also, I thought that the bp MM16 wad would probably keep patterns tightest. Thanks
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:10 am  Reply with quote

The only recipes I know for the MM16 wad are listed in the BPI 16 Ga Manual, however, I have tried a few of their loads and they are way overpressurized. I'm currently trying to make a 16 ga load using the MM16 wad...or even the MM20 (it fits in a remington wad nicely), but I won't have it tested before this turkey season.

Here is some of the progress I have made:

You are right that the MM16 will give the tightest pattern. In my testing, I have had the best patterns with the wad split in 4 equal petals, with the splits being about 2/3 the length of the wad.

I have had my best patterns so far with 1 1/8 oz load rather than 1 1/4 oz, although I am still experimenting.

BPI nickel plated shot is a scam. It is very soft, and seems to be just a nickel wash over almost pure lead. The patterns I have with it always clump up and leave holes. Also, the size is not correct. I ordered #5 1/2's. What they actually are are #6's (by diameter) with the nickel coat. I'm getting ready to test some high antimony #6 shot (Remington) to see how that patterns. Copper plated #5's might be a good option as well, but I don't have any on hand as of yet.

These loads have the highest recoil of any 16 load I have made to date. Keep that in mind If you try and make a turkey load.

About the only useful powders for these loads are Steel, Bluedot, and Longshot. I'm trying to focus on Steel, as it has the lowest pressure characteristics for the heavy loads. Bluedot tends to get physically to hot and melts the ends of the hull. I don't like that. Steel isn't quite as bad about that.

My test loads are buffered. I find Mix47 works the best so far. The BP Original buffer patterned the same as Mix47, but had a tendency to melt and leave a thick residue in the hull.

The MM16 wad is a little deep, even for a 1 1/4 oz load. I have been using a 1/8" 20 ga felt wad in the bottom of the cup to raise the 1 1/4 oz loads to the apropriate level, and 2 felt wads for a 1 1/8 oz load. I have also experiemented in cutting the MM16 wad to length, removing the gas skirt, and using an OB16 with a 1/8" Nitro Card. That has promising results with a 1 1/8 oz load...not so much with a 1 1/4 oz load.

But this is all experimental, and as I said, I won't have test results by this season. My goal is to make a 16 ga turkey load that rivals a commercially available turkey load for the 20 and 12 ga. So far, I have the pattern size that I want...but not the evenness. I am hoping that the use of the high antimony lead will fix that problem.

Other will probably recommend just to use one of the other available recipes for a 1 1/8oz or 1 1/4 oz load, using an SP-16 or other wad. These will work if the turkey is close. You might look at the LPG website and see what they have listed. I believe the load listed as "Scott's Pheasant Slayer Load" might be a good choice. Or, you could try the 1 1/4 oz load listed on the Alliant website using a federal hull and an SP-16 wad. If you do a search for turkey loads, or under Charles Hammack, on this site you will find a load listed for turkey, I think using 7 1/2's at about 1500 fps. I think it is Charles's go to turkey load. I tried it, but the patterns were not great for me. I would like to know the choke he recommends for that load.
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:16 am  Reply with quote

The alliant 1 1/4 oz load: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?shotype=&weight=1.25&weightdis=1%201/4&shellid=526&gtypeid=3&gauge=16

or a 1 1/8 oz load on the Alliant site: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?shotype=&weight=1.25&weightdis=1%201/4&shellid=526&gtypeid=3&gauge=16

You could try the Hodgdons Reloading Center website for more 1 1/8 oz loads as well.
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:26 am  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack's load:

Charles Hammack wrote:
Hello Duncan:

For many years I used the old 540 Win powder untill it was discontinued then I went to the Win Super Field

All of these loads were in 12ga for this is what I done all of my shooting with for so many years

Old style AA Hull
35gr 540 Win Powder Listed 1400fps actual 1380+ -
AA12 WAD
WIN 209 Primer

Then I went to the Super Field load

Old style AA Hull
30gr Super Field Win Powder Listed 1400fps Same as above
AA12 Wad
Win 209 Primer

Now I use BPI loading for their SUPER PIGEON LOAD
This is the ultimate long range load with lots of power to spare but it sure is not for a light upland gun ( I AM VERY RECOIL SENSITIVE , always have been back when I was shooting a case of shells a day , back in the day when a case was not a flat, I could not stand 1 1/8 oz 3dram loads . Turkey is the exception I only use one shell LOL but now in Missouri we can kill 2 the same day so I might use a couple of shells

the BPI load is as follows

Cheddite Hull
CH 209 Primer
37. gr Longshot Powder
HCD21 Wad
over the shot card
1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 Mag or Nickle Plate Shot
9,300 psi
listed 1600fps actual 1560fps

Now for the 16 ga
Win Polyformed Plastic Basewad
30gr Longshot
BP/SPTG16 WAD
Rem 209P Primer
11.300 psi
1500fps Listed and will do it
1oz Mag or Nickle Plated 7 1/2 shot

I took a guy from Colorado this past spring hunting here in Missouri on our farm, I met this guy Bowhunting for Elk and we became friends .

Well Larry was telling me of the woes of his Turkey hunting having never killed a bird while actually hunting for Turkeys LOL ( this guy is one hell of a bowhunter for elk can call em in like I do turkeys , I wanted to learn about calling bulls and he about turkeys so we made a trade LOL)

So I invited Larry to come to Missouri and I would show him the finer points of Turkey Hunting

Well Larry shot my shells after much debate about his shells LOL I called him in 9 birds total that I taught him how to call and what to do then he took 2 birds the first day , was tickled to death with this and said I will now teach you to call elk ( I had to pony up first LOL no one trust anyone now days LOL)

Four days later Larry calls me up and tells me that he , his son in law and his 10yr old grandson all killed birds in Wyoming on the same day using what I shared with him and MY SHELLS NO LESS so when I went to CO in Sept to hunt I took Him 4 boxes of what he was shooting , well needless to say I had a GREAT TRIP BOWHUNTING THIS FALL I learned a ton about Elk indeed

THis fall I am taking my Setter with me and My 16ga Marlin 90 with me and bowhunting in the morning and evenings and going to hunt BLUE GROUSE AND SAGE GROUSE during the day, Larry has got em all scoped out BOY OH BOY I CANT WAIT TILL THIS FALL SMILING

I hope this helps a bit, this is contrary to the math, but an ole man that used to be Bob Rays personal Gunsmith turned me onto the 7 1/2 size for Turkeys when I was a kid and boy was ole Mac right.

Regards Charles
sheabert
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:03 am  Reply with quote

Bowbuilder,
thanks for all the info. That last one of Charles' looks like a thumper. I think I'll try it. I am shooting a remington mod 11 with a full barrel so I think it should work nicely. I'll try that and a 1 1/8 load of fives with the sp-16 and let you know how they pattern through my full choke.
Your goal of developing a turkey load to rival 12 and 20 is very cool, and i am sure it can be done. I might have to start fooling around with something like that myself.
woodcock
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

Turkey loads around here are typically the 2-2-10 formula for the 12 gauges. 2 dr.eq./2 ozs. shot/#10.

I have had good luck with a similar load for the 16 using 1 ounce of fine shot (71/2's do well) loaded to produce a lower velocity (900fps or so)and hence allow the shot cloud to remain dense.
In my experience turkey shots are generally head shots and are at relatively close ranges. Tighter chokes and slow dense patterns will take the head right off old Tom.
Try this load on paper(remember for turkeys you may actually be "aiming" your shotgun) and compare it with your hyper-velocity loads of larger shot--see what you think and what your gun 'likes'.