16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Which MEC?
GP16
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:58 am  Reply with quote

Hi guys, I posted a couple weeks ago about getting into reloading and now am getting ready to do the purchases. I am going with the advice given of shooting Winchester Super X's to create the hulls and then reloading them late summer for the Fall. My question is, which Mec model do you like? Really am leaning towards a new 600 Jr but I only want to do this once so maybe I should throw some more money down. I am not talking high volume during a year, 500 on the low side, 1000 would be the very most in a season. Thanks for the advice.. this is a great site and resource.
sheabert
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:08 am  Reply with quote

For that volume of shells a 600jr will be perfect. It really doesn't take that long to load up a flat of shells once you get the rhythm down.
woodcock
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:15 am  Reply with quote

2nd vote for the 600jr.....but if you think you are only going to do this "once" Laughing Laughing Laughing
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:17 am  Reply with quote

My first MEC loader was a 600 Jr. in the 12 gauge. I used it for all of my 2 3/4" loads and later picked up a 12 gauge Sizemaster for 3" non-tox loads. When I decided to shoot more sporting clays in 12 gauge, I picked up the MEC Progessive just because I like the fact that I had a loaded round everytime I pulled the handle. When it was time for my purchase to get a 16 gauge reloader, it was a no brainer to go with another MEC Progressive. Since you're in the area of 20-40 boxes, you will find that you will reload extra shells due to the efficency of a progressive, hence; allowing more practice sessions with your 16 gauge gun. That's basically a "win..win". The only time I would stay with a single stage is with loading non-tox where it's a low volumn of rounds along with the non-tox giving you a "bad drop" which can mess you up with a progressive but not an issue with a single stage. Just pick up a decent scale with the adjustable charge bar (one for the progressive loader) and you're in business...

Good luck
GP16
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I kind of forgot about non tox. It is an issue for me. I hunt mostly public ground. Thanks for the help so far!
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

For your volume of shooting a single stage is fine. Do yourself a favor and get the Sizemaster, tho. The primer feed alone is worth the extra $.
woodcock
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

The Sizemaster isn't a bad reloader but the auto primer kit is available for the 600jr. as well.
With regard to non-toxic shot: A steel shot bar is available for all MEC loaders. If you plan to load steel 16ga., plan for a max 15/16 oz. or so. Bismuth shot is rare--probably will be impossible to get. If you use the "Nice shot" the lead charge bars will do just fine.
GP16
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

Forgive my dumb questions but what is the story on the bismuth? I know it disappeared after Peterson passed away. But is there no source for bismuth? I really liked the bismuth factory loads a few years back. Seems like someone would be all over that unless the demand isn't there?
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

The problem with Bismuth was the company, they were all over the place. They started by themselves, then got abused by Winchester. Then they went to Kent cartridge, then back by themselves. There might be another player or 2 in there that I have forgotten about

Bismuth shot is expensive to make, basically each pellet is cast. Then it got a bad reputation for fracturing unless you buffered it, and that was true, especially when it was used in larger payloads.

Great product but marketed poorly. It isn't the first product that happened with and it won't be the last. I don't think that the original investors really knew what they were getting into (possibly mislead by owners), and were upset when the 'return on investment' wasn't exactly on a rocketship ride.

Lots of other stuff that I don't know went on, I am sure, but those are the basics. You have to understand that the firearms market is not very strong, and it is tough on new products. You gotta have deeeeeeeeeeeep pockets, brains and patience, to make a new product go in this arena.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

Go with a Sizemaster to start with--1st it will completely resize the brass with a collet sizer you can adjust unlike the sizer ring on the 600.2nd yes you can buy a primer feed for the 600 but why mess with it when they are standard on the SM??
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:03 pm  Reply with quote

The Sizemaster, is the way to go, stronger powder/shot measure assembly, collet resizer, primer feed, worth every cent extra over the 600 Jr.
Square Load
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:16 am  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:
The Sizemaster, is the way to go, stronger powder/shot measure assembly, collet resizer, primer feed, worth every cent extra over the 600 Jr.

+1

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:26 am  Reply with quote

I'd get a used 600 & a decent scale 1st off to gain some reloading experience. If the SM looks better after awhile then sell the 600 they hold their value in the used market and dont last long on ebay.

For those in the know; what is the average price difference between the SM & 600?

Welcome to reloading GP, I'd bet you'll never look back. Good luck, Mike

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:56 am  Reply with quote

I'd advise going with the Grabber. Easiest progressive to learn to operate on the market. Once you get into reloading, you will soon wish you'd skipped right over single stage presses for everyday reloads. The speed and convenience are worth the extra money in the long run, especially if you intend to do any target shooting on weekends. you can knock out 100 rounds of ammo inside an hour easy. You will easily spend over two hours doing it on a single stage. The collet resizing station on the Grabber is a big advantage when considering that all modern 16 ga hulls now have steel rims. You can always pick up a used 600 Jr for short money later for small batches of specialty reloads.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:13 am  Reply with quote

One big deterrent of that Mec Grabber is there are no die sets available should GP16 decide to also load 12, 20 or any other gauge shells. What makes you think he needs a high speed machine to load 500-1,000 shells per year?

I'd say the Sizemaster would more than suffice.