16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Get your new Downrange wads!!
birddog
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:49 am  Reply with quote

Ordered 2k from Recob's this AM. Priced @ $31/k. Looking forward to sending some loads to Tom A for testing. Had also called Precision Reloading to check availability, sounded like a couple of weeks out yet for their delivery. Pricing is comparable at $31.5/k
Let the loading begin Cool
Charlie Wink

Winchester Mod 12 16ga. 30" full
Sears mod. 30 Ranger 16ga.
1 NEW Citori 525 Sporting Clays w/30"tubes
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good woman" D. Boone
bdicki
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Recobs lists them online now. Just ordered 2k.

http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/2,204.html
Black&Tan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:56 am  Reply with quote

I ordered 5K from Recobs weeks ago..

I hope they're here soon!

BTW, The folks at Recob's are great people to do business with!
Black&Tan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

At 31 bucks per thousand, these wads are pretty pricey.. About twice the price of all other wads..

I may have to re-evaluate my distaste for fillers...
woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

????????

Ballistic Products

G/BP(SG16) 27.95/1000
Field Commander 37.95/1000
Remingtom SP16 43.96/1000
birddog
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

Black & Tan
It's simple economics, 16ga wads are a specialty item by all regards for the wad makers and they will make you pay for them. 12ga AA clones are 15.99/k but they also sell probably 10 million of these as compared to maybe 300 thousand 16's.
Fillers are fine but also a pain in the a@$
Load on gents Very Happy
Charlie Wink

Winchester Mod 12 16ga. 30" full
Sears mod. 30 Ranger 16ga.
1 NEW Citori 525 Sporting Clays w/30"tubes
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good woman" D. Boone
bcpifish
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

I'm with B&T. I'm really disappointed with the pricing on these wads. When I talked with Kevin at Down Range a couple of months ago he told me they would be priced around $11.95 per bag, similar to the CB WAA16 clone. I thought that was an extremely high price as compared to actual manufacturing costs.

While I will still buy a bag to try out, I think DR has fallen into the trap of trying to maximize return on production cost at the expense of customer satisfaction. This outrageous pricing will just drive another nail for those who keep predicting the demise of the 16 ga. The only reason for this kind of price that I can see, is that they can get it. I can't see how it reflects actual production costs.

This is the same reason I have always avoided BPI wads, they are grossly over-priced.

This just means that I will be shooting more 3/4 and 7/8 oz. loads from my lightweight 12 ga. O/U.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

You guys that piss and moan about the price should be ashamed of yourself. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Sad Do you have any idea how much time and money Mr. Hammack put into this project, when no one else would.
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

Hello All,

You ALL know that I got into the 16 gauge craze to SAVE MONEY.

All those high priced 12 and 20 gauge shells was driving me into the poor house. And the 16 gauge ammo was sooooo much cheaper. So I am into 16 gauges as purely a cost saving venture.

The 16 gauge guns are much more plentiful that 12 and 20 gauge guns, so I am also into 16 gauge for the convenience. Seems like EVERYONE has a 16 gauge gun. Must be the economy.

Yes, these higher priced wads will do MUCH for putting the 12 and 20 gauge guns BACK on the popularity track.

Do you all understand that the 16 gauge is a WONDERFUL speciality and sometime the uniqueness costs extra????

THREE CENTS a wad and some are fussing. At 5000 a YEAR and at a penny a wad difference in cost that comes to about $50, and you HOPEFULLY spent more than that on a 16 GAUGE KNIFE.

Enjoy the day
Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

You two clowns have got to be kidding!!

It is a 16 cavity mold that runs a 25 to 30 second cylce time. (the video is posted somewhere on this site). Do the math.

What do you suppose it costs for mold time $10.00 an hour?? This ain't China. Set-up costs? Plastic costs? Shipping costs? Packaging costs? Advertising costs?

Ain't nobody getting rich making 16 gauge anything. At least no one in this country.

These wads perform exactly as advertised. and cost .03 each, kinda cheap if you ask me.

Tell you what, give me your addresses so I can send each of you two boxes of cherios so you can afford to reload with cheap, ill fitting wads.

BTW, I have been down this road myself (making wads), no one is price gouging, or charging what the traffic will bear.
451whitworth
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

i raised an eyebrow at the price too. still ordered a bunch though.
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:19 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with the sentiments that Charles deserves some major props from the people on this BB. He did some very heavy lifting getting something going for the people on this BB and some guys are b*tching about a few extra pennies to do their reloading versus hassling with fillers. Some people like to throw stuff from the cheap seats when someone does something really good for us on this site...

Way to go Charles!!!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:24 am  Reply with quote

There is an old saying. "Everybody wants to go to heaven. Nobody wants to die." Some folks want everything, but don't want to pay anything. There is another saying. "Dream on, little dreamer, dream on...." Oh sorry, that's a song. Rolling Eyes

I heard the same kind of carping from a few folks over the R16 deal I helped put togther between the folks here and Recob's. I was accused of everything from being a scam artist to being a communist. Laughing I ignored it. Arguing with a few tightwads would have just screwed the whole thing up. We collectively bought nearly a million wads in the first three or four orders and paid more for them than for these new wads---and were damned glad to get them. Still needed fillers for light loads too.

You can't change folks' opinions by arguing with them. Go knows it took me long enough to learn that one. Hey, buy the wads if you want or need them. there is absolutely nothing better (or even close) on the market at a comparable price. Ignore the yammering. Some folks' nerve endings are in their wallets and would yammer if the wads were selling at 1/2 the price. Laughing
Black&Tan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:04 am  Reply with quote

You guys are right, I should have given that one more thought before posting.
I expected to pay more for a specialty 16 ga. wad, just not that much more. And I agree that Mr. Hammack does deserve a timely return on his huge investment. He stepped up when no one else would, and I respect and thank him for that!
I also got in on the R-16 order from Recob's, and remember the carping.

So, I'll stay with my 5K order from Recobs. In large part because I don't want any Cheerios from dogchaser who seems to see himself at the top of the foodchain while everyone else is an idiot.. And BTW Mister dogchaser, I am not a clown!

You seem to have a real knack for making friends and influencing people... I guess every board has at least one.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:16 am  Reply with quote

I am not much of a politician, never will be.

I will not make excuses or apologies for calling it like I see it.