16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Data for Down Range Wads
old colonel
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:24 am  Reply with quote

I need reloading data for the Downrange DR16 wad

I just picked up a case the new wads expecting to find a data sheet in the bags. There was none. So I have the wads but no data.

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:34 am  Reply with quote

Welcome to the party!

Just be glad you got your wads for now. Load data will be springing forth, stay tuned in!

AAAAh ah ah ah.....

Twisted Evil
RWG
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

Dave:

What are you thinking about testing? Your pet 7/8 oz target load with the new wad?
old colonel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:37 am  Reply with quote

del

Last edited by old colonel on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

old colonel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:38 am  Reply with quote

Actually yes, I am thinking about testing aload. That said I have a good comprehension of ballistics yet still don't feel daring with vintage guns. I may use my Citori as the test gun if i do. Likely I will send the loads out to be pressure tested prior to using them in my old doubles.

I did some 7/8 test loads (which I dissambled and have not shot) in order to see how they crimp. In my TEXAN and PW single stages I got the good looking crimps on the fiochi and RGL hulls, on the Win POLY I could not get a decent looking crimp despite playing with the adjustments. I did not test the Win AA (I have a few thousands of these, but that is because I hoard them and save them for hunting loads only), Fed Purple Hull (high volume interior like the Win Poly so I did not want to waste them) or any of my limited supply of Activs ( use them for hunting loads only)

I am looking these loads to test in RGL hulls(I have tons of these on hand):
Rem RGL 16 // 21.0 WSF // REM-209P // 16 BP G/BP // 7/8 oz lead // 9300 PSI // 1220 FPS from Reloading for Shotgunners (Fackler-McPherson) 4th Edition
** Exchange DR16 wad for 16 BP G/BP

Rem RGL 16 Hull // 19.5 grains Universal // CCI-209M // 16 BP G/BP // 1 oz Lead // 8400 PSI // 1165 FPS // from the Hodgdon-97 booklet
**Exchange DR16 wad for 16 BP G/BP
**Reduced the load to 7/8 and add a polywad insert

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

RWG wrote:
Dave:

What are you thinking about testing? Your pet 7/8 oz target load with the new wad?

Russ,
I'll probably start with that Int. Clays loading, but I also want to take a look at American Select. We'll see. If someone else comes up with some good loads I'll be all ears!

My criteria will be:

7/8 and 3/4 oz loads
Clean burning
1150-1200 fps
pressure in the 9000 psi range
BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

Might weigh and measure a few of the new wads. Compare to what you are using now for light shot charge loads, dial back a tad on powder and try a few in a modern gun. I will tinker with light loads, but not full power target or hunting loads. As I understand it, these wads are designed for light payloads.

dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

BigCreekMI,

The weight of any wad doesn't have much to do with pressure.

The amount of the wad that actually contacts the barrel (friction) has the largest effect.

With limited experience with this wad, I don't see this wad jumping pressures up very far.

I am working with Clays, American Select, Universal and SR7625.

As soon as the new wads get here from Precision Reloading, I will get the loads tested, and have the info available on the LPG Reloaders site.
kgb
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, thanks for including American Select!! That's one I'm using with 3/4oz and 7/8oz loadings in Winchester Australian hulls, got plenty of powder left!

kgb
old colonel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser, I am curious as to what loads you have actually shot so far. you can email me the universal and SR7625 loads if you do not want to post them online send them: michael.dittamo@us.army.mil

dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

I wasn't real impressed with the SR7625 load with 7/8 oz. So I will forego that info for now.

Cheddite 16 gauge green hull, Federal 209A primer, 23.0 grs of Universal, Downrange 16 ga Wad. 7/8 oz of lead shot.

Federal 16 gauge hull, Federal 209A primer, 22.0 grs of Universal, Downrange 16 ga Wad. 7/8 oz of lead shot.

I have NOT chronographed or pressure tested either of these loads. Both operated an older Remington 1100, perfectly. My impression was that the Federal load is right on the mark. The Cheddite load seemed a bit hot. The recoil levels of both loads were about the same as my 1 oz lead loads at 1,300 FPS, with the Cheddite load possibly a bit stiffer.

I shot these loads at wobble skeet and crushed the targets with a .005 choke. I liked them a lot and will continue with them once I have them tested. I really didn't notice any difference in performance from my regular 1 oz. loads, in either my 16 or 12 gauge guns.

USE THE ABOVE LOADS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK, THEY HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED. DO NOT USE THE ABOVE LOADS IN DAMASCUS BARRELED GUNS.
old colonel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:36 am  Reply with quote

thanks dogchaser.

I am putting together 6 sets of loads this coming weekend to send out for testing using RGL, Fiochi, and Win Poly Hulls, two each.

I think you may be wanting a little faster performance than I am, as a general rule I try to keep all my loads in the 1150/1165 FPS range. My experience has been that that is more than enough for the range I engage both live birds and clays at. I do not initiate on live birds pass 30 yards very often. I am also of the belief that in practice keeping all loads in the same velocity category keeps the leads consistent and the feel of the gun similar.

dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:10 am  Reply with quote

Michael,

I am not too sure that Universal is the correct powder for the lower velocity loads, it might not stay consistent. I think you could back the Universal loads down 2 - 3 grains, but I would continue with the Federal 209A primer. Get it going hot and keep it hot will help. Forget SR7625 at the lower velocities, it burns way to slow.

You might try either PB, American Select or even Clays for the velocities you want,
BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:20 am  Reply with quote

I am looking forward to receiving my 1st 1000 of the new wads this week. Depending on how they look (weigh & measure) I am going to start with some light 3/4 and 7/8 using Unique and Green Dot. Also like to see how they might work in 2 1/2" hull. Speaking of 2 1/2" .... does anyone use one of those $40 brass crimp starters? A big improvement in results? Erik

old colonel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:26 am  Reply with quote

What kind of $40 brass crimp starters are you referring to, what from who?