16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Data for Down Range Wads
bdicki
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:31 am  Reply with quote

Maybe this.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=0740006
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:35 am  Reply with quote

Try any load between 16 to 16.5 grains of Green Dot under 7/8 ounce of shot in the new wad in an RGL hull. I think you will be very happy with the results. I've turned a fair number of folks on the site to GD for light 16 ga loads. I've gotten back plenty of positive reports as well.

I've been loading that range of GD in an RGL hull under an R16, 1 ounce wad with one 1/8 inch thick 28 ga filler wad in the bottom of the shot cup for at least 3 years now. I used 16 grains of GD when I tested the sample wads Nick sent me last summer. The load crimped perfectly and was a fine performer. Hope you like it. Good luck.

PS, International Clays also would be a good powder with similar charges. It has an almost identical burn rate to Green Dot and was designed as a direct competator. It throws about the same volume for volume as far as performance goes but weighs slightly less. I consider the two powders to be interchangable if thrown volumetrically. Again, good luck.
woodcock
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:56 am  Reply with quote

I believe that "brass crimp starter" you are referring to is the MEC Crown Crimp Starter. I have used one for some time now and, for NEW HULLS, it's the bee's knee's. For once (or more) fired hulls it does not provide the 'spindex' indexing feature and hence is considerably less useful, IMO.

FWIW--I've used Red Dot and PB with Charles' new wads and 3/4 oz. loads in Federal hulls (and their clones) and have been well satisfied with the apparent results. As these loads have not been tested for either pressure or velocity I will not post the particulars at this time.
My observations with SR7625 are similar to DC37's and, although there might be a place for this powder at higher velocities, it's an expensive fuel.
I have mitigated wad friction (at least as far as one can infer from increases in velocity) by dusting wads with Ballistic Products dry mica based lubricant. (nee Motor Mica).
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:06 am  Reply with quote

Woodcock,

Just so you know, I have tested Motor Mica, it did absolutely nothing to either lower pressures or raise velocities unless you consider 10 FPS a change. I tried it on lead loads, Bismuth loads both buffered and non buffered, and steel shot loads. It sounds like a great deal but it doesn't do much of anything.

Motor Mica will allow the tighter fitting wads to assemble a little easier and as an added bonus make a mess out of a reloading machine.
woodcock
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:11 am  Reply with quote

Not my experience at all DC37 Confused

The lubricant increased the velocities in my loads 3%-5% according to the lab. I did not compare types of shot as my intention was to evaluate bore lubricity for wads compatible with lead/bismuth/'nice shot' only.
I haven't used steel to any appreciable degree.
Wad type did apprear to be correlated with velocity increases; the G-B/P wad showing the least variation (3%)and the R/SP-16 and the WAA-16 showing the greatest(4-5%).
Neither have I had any "mess" using the product for a decade now. I use it to lube bushing bars, and apply it to the metallic portion of every 10th case or so that goes through the ring type resizer on the single stage units-it 'eases' case abrasion IMO.
It does seem to ease wad insertion on the MEC units and a P-W. The excess brushes/vacuums off readily; I rarely use other lubricants on my machines with the exception of a heavy collet lube on the 9000 series MEC resizers.

I am at a loss at to why our experiences seem to be different vis a vis velocity----hull type/brand maybe?
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:29 am  Reply with quote

Not sure, but Mr Armbrust and I have both had the same outcome with Motor Mica, when the loads were put through the pressure gun.

Winchster hulls and wads for lead.

Federal hulls and Remington wads for bismuth.

Remington hulls and Precision Reloading Steel wads for steel.
woodcock
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

Hmmm. An interesting conundrum. Confused
Mark, just off hand, do you happen to know the barrel length of Tom's test gun?

Ron
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

I believe we both had 30" barrels with cylinder chokes. The barrels were made to SAAMI specs. and are true test barrels.
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

woodcock wrote:

Mark, just off hand, do you happen to know the barrel length of Tom's test gun?

Ron

woodcock,

I'm not Mark, but my test data sheets from Tom for 16 gauge lists the test barrel as 28" cylinder bore, with a .665" bore diameter. The chamber is 2 3/4" length.

Slidehammer
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

Slidehammer,

I tested the Motor Mica in the 12 gauge, I didn't try the 16 with Motor Mica.
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:08 am  Reply with quote

DC & SH Thank you for the information.
It is my surmise (and only that) that, as I have read that virtually every shotgun barrel is a law unto itself, ALL our data may be accurate.

The changes in velocity certainly aren't enough to warrant serious consideration IMO and the differing views of Motor Mica's utility smacks of Ford vs.Chevy or Coke/Dr.Pepper I think Wink .
It is always useful for me to learn of the experiences of others as well as the data collected by them---adds to my compendium of speculation Laughing

Ron
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:17 am  Reply with quote

Hi Ron,

You never know, a difference in wad plastic might be the cause, for the differences in our findings.

I am really against, extra steps in any process, no performance gain and dusty stuff on my reloaders. So Motor Mica has 3 strikes.

Anyway, I will always try the new stuff, keep the good and toss the stuff that isn't.
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

I understand perfectly Mark. It is this kind of exchange of information that makes this site so interesting and worthwhile....and keeps Baskin & Robins in b'idness. Very Happy
Don't forget to post your findings using PB with the new wad when you finish your evaluation.

Ron
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

woodcock wrote:

Don't forget to post your findings using PB with the new wad when you finish your evaluation.
Ron

I second woodcock's quote above!

I also see no advantage to dusting wads with "Motor Mica" for what it's worth. I'll use it for inside case neck lube while sizing brass on metallic loads, but even prefer other (better) lube here...

Slidehammer
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

Sure would like to see some 16 ga. light loads using Alliant American Select.

This powder is one of my favorite 12 ga. for a 1 oz load and WW12 ga AA hulls.

I would like to use AS for my 16's.

Any one care to share a receipe ?