16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Data for Down Range Wads
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

Lefty Dude,

Sounds like something you should send to Precision Reloading, you get 6 free load tests with a purchase of wads. Load 'em up, mark down the contents and you will be all set.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:03 am  Reply with quote

I'm only surmising here based on my experience with American Select. I used to load my H-cap trap rounds with it for a while. AS might be usable for low velocity 3/4 ounce loads and for faster 5/8 loads if loaded in an RGL hull. I'd not recommend it for a 7/8 ounce load though. It might also be okay for low velocity 7/8 ounce loads in the rooomier Cheddite and Federal hulls.

AS does usually burn evenly and cleanly without any sudden pressure spikes. However, it does not meter all that well when throwing very light charges, even if a baffle is in place under the powder bottle. It has a fairly big flake diameter and throws better if the charge weight is over 18 grains in my experience.

After Alliant managed to clean up some of the original Hercules 12 ga. powders, I went to 19 grains of Green Dot for my 2-3/4+ dram eqiuv. 1-1/8 ounce H-cap trap loads, because of the inconsistant throw weights I was getting with AS. GD gives me more consistant velocities and the usual and customary excellent H-cap patterns it is famous for.

I've found GD to be the single most useful powder I've tried for 3/4 and 7/8 ounce 16 gauge loads. It works very well with any charge between 16 and 17 grains if loaded under an R16 wad with fillers in the shot cup. 16 grains of GD worked perfectly for both 3/4 and 7/8 ounce loads under the sample wads Nick sent me last summer. I think 16.5 grains would be the limit for 7/8 ounce loads in an RGL hull. The new wads are quite snug in an RGL hull, which will up the pull a bit.

This is all just a guestimate on my part, but it is based on my experience with GD and AS. Hope the info helps.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:09 am  Reply with quote

Thanks GG for your insight , I would have to say your very close indeed with your guesstimations , keep on working on ways to promote the 16ga as you have always done .

Thanks for everyones help , more good things on the way .

Regards Charles
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:21 am  Reply with quote

Will do Nick... and gladly. Now if I can just figure out a way to avoid repeatedly stepping in cow pies like some of us are prone to, it would nice. Laughing
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Under the General Discussion you will find an ALERT that should , if the script is taken ?

Should reduce or lessen the occurances of that particular ailment .

Regards Charles