16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  DR16 Wad initial review and capacity.
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:12 am  Reply with quote

I got my bags of the DR16 wads yeterday. What a great, well designed wad. Thanks Charles!

The wad is very tight in a Remington hull, but not so tight as to bulge the hull or make installing it in the hull difficult.

The wad is just a little loose in a cheddite hull, but not so loose as to make powder migration an issue. Basically, it just slides nicely into the hull.

The DR16 is noticably flared at the gas cup, so it should seat on the powder nicely, and prevent any powder migration issues. (More props to Charles)

I took some time to do some capacity measurements in the wad. Of course, these will be slightly different depending on what percent antimony lead you use, and what size shot. I was using #5 1/2 nickel plated lead from BPI (which is basically #6 lead, low antimony, with a nickel wash).

The wad held 11/16 oz of the #5 1/2 shot level with the shot cup.
With 3/4 oz of #5 1/2 there were just a few shot outside the shot cup (not much difference between 3/4 oz and 11/16 oz pellet count wise).
At 7/8 oz of #5 1/2's, there was about a 1/8 inch of pellets above the shot cup.

I hope some of you find this information useful. thanks again Charles!
old colonel
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:39 am  Reply with quote

Did you or can you look at #8 and #7 1/2?

Is capacity affected by what hull is in? (tighter hull fit less capacity)

My experience in RGL hulls was it appeared a good fill and crimped well. However I did not look carefully as you have.

bowbuilder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:51 am  Reply with quote

I can try #7 1/2 Lawrence Magnum shot when I get home, unless someone else has some they can try before that.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:14 am  Reply with quote

Bowbuilder,

Not trying to take anything away from what your doing. I just don't understand why people are so worried or concerned, about how much of the shot is actually contained within the cup.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:28 am  Reply with quote

My sample wad Green Dot powered loads from last summer were all loaded with #8 shot. They were also thrown from the same shot bars I've been using in my MEC grabber for several years now. I did not bother to weigh the shot charges. Since my target and recreation loads all fall into the milder pressure ranges below 10K anyway, volume thrown shot charges work fine for me. I'm betting #7.5 or #9 shot will work as well in the new wads. They were designed with lighter loads of the finer shot charges in the first place according to Nick.

So, no worries here folks. Get them, load them and shoot them. They are a ball to shoot clays with. I know. I been there and done that....and am planning to do so again, and again, and again and a..... Cool .

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:28 am  Reply with quote

Dave, it doesn't matter to me one way or another. I was just posting so people will have the info. Wink
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:35 am  Reply with quote

Sorry about that BB. I did not intend to step on your post. I wast posting whilst you wast posting. We wast posting together at the same time. Laughing

Your info has value, especially if someone were intending to load light charges of bigger shot for specialty hunting loads. I was just putting in my two cents worth, because that is what I generally do. Very Happy
old colonel
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:24 am  Reply with quote

Discussing wad volume with different shot for intellectual gratification only.

pumpgun
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:51 am  Reply with quote

I've loaded 5/8oz. #9 in RGL's with 13.2 gr. Claydot, and a Fiocchi 616, perfect crimps, yielded mid 1200's, (fps) and good breaks on the skeet field. Disclaimer: I am not recommending this load as it is neither published nor pressure tested.
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
especially if someone were intending to load light charges of bigger shot for specialty hunting loads.

I'm thinking 3/4 oz of #4's or 5's with this wad going around 1200 to 1300 fps will make a real nice bunny load... Very Happy

...as long as it doesn't make bunny puree. Laughing
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

bowbuilder wrote:
I can try #7 1/2 Lawrence Magnum shot when I get home, unless someone else has some they can try before that.

After trying the measurements with the # 7 1/2's...I get very similar results as the #5 1/2's.

There is also not a very noticable difference between a Remington hull or a Cheddite as far as shot column with this wad. Yes, the Remington squeezes a little bit tighter, but the effective raise of the shot column is barely noticable to my eye.

What a great wad.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:24 am  Reply with quote

I'd have to say this new wad is perhaps one of the best thought out componants ever. Nick polled this site and everyone had an opportunity to have some input. Fortunately, Nick also has some considerable experience in trap and wingshooting. He also has considerable knowledge and experience in how and why shotgun barrels work the way they do. His knowledge and insight allowed him to accurately assess the input and select the best suggestions for the wad's design along with his own ideas. So this wad was destined to be a winner from the get go.

So now it is up to us 16 ga reloaders and shooters to find the best uses for Nick's wad. Being the creative and imaginative bunch we are, I'm guessing we will find ways that will help change the way America looks at the 16.

The wad is one more important tool that will allow us 16 gauge fans to reclaim quite a bit of the versatility the gauge was famous for during our grandfathers' times. We are now on the way to really putting the 16 gauge shotgun back into its historic spot as the Queen of the Uplands. That is plenty good enough for me--and every other 16 gauge lover. Let's get it done.