16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1 oz load for Federal Hull?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Terry Imai wrote:
Quote:
"It is better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt."

It was actually Mark Twain that said this quote...

Most of the guys on the BB are pretty knowledgeable with their contribution and if they don't know the topic, they don't start shoveling the bullsh*t.

It just the huge pile of manure in Mass. that is affecting the global warming due to the amount of methane gas permeating from their waste pile...

I take it you are not all that interested in my PM suggestion TT. So I guess you insist on removing all doubts about yourself. Figures. Very Happy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

Actually, I have a pair of these Multi scale red and aluminum MEC Grabber models sitting unused on my reloading bench in their original light blue boxes as I write this. They have sat there collecting dust for nearly 20 years or more now. Neither one would throw consistant enough charges for my 12 ga trap or skeet loads. The most accuracy I could get with Red or Green Dot, 700X, or any of the other powders that are known to meter very well, was about plus or minus 3/10s of a grain or so--even with a good baffle in place. I also found the adjustments have a lot of backlash, so setting them is a real pain.

And yes, I did consult with a MEC technician about it nearly two decades ago. I can still remember his very succinct reply. He said, and I quote, "THEY SUCK!!"

My most consistent charges have always been thrown using the MEC bushings and a baffle. My average throws will stay inside about plus or minus 1/10th of a grain on an average day and have been reliable and repeatable from season to season for a very long time now. The bushings can not change on me unexpectedly either by going out of adjustment. Simple is good. Simple is safe. I like simple.

Sorry to let the gas out of your hot air balloon DC. Time to come back down to Earth now from your all seeing, all knowing godlike position. Do try to control the temper fits. Folks are beginning to notice it.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

The only thing this proves is that (A) you can't read directions as they address the backlash issue and (B) you must have all the mechanical ability of a rock.

This complicated backlash works like this, you open the cavity a turn more than you want, then you turn the knob in the opposite direction to make the cavity smaller to setting that you want, this whole process might take 2 - 3 minutes to fine tune. It never moves if you tighten the set screw.
Wow was that mind boggling.

The Tonka truck comment wasn't originally meant for you, but it does seem like a natural fit.

BTW, asking MEC about Multiscale Charge Bars is like going into a Chevy dealership and asking what they think about Fords.

Second BTW, If you like simple, then shorten your essay length posts, all you have to do is cut out the B.S. I figure that would keep them to one word.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:59 am  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:
The only thing this proves is that (A) you can't read directions as they address the backlash issue and (B) you must have all the mechanical ability of a rock.

This complicated backlash works like this, you open the cavity a turn more than you want, then you turn the knob in the opposite direction to make the cavity smaller to setting that you want, this whole process might take 2 - 3 minutes to fine tune. It never moves if you tighten the set screw.
Wow was that mind boggling.

The Tonka truck comment wasn't originally meant for you, but it does seem like a natural fit.

BTW, asking MEC about Multiscale Charge Bars is like going into a Chevy dealership and asking what they think about Fords.

Second BTW, If you like simple, then shorten your essay length posts, all you have to do is cut out the B.S. I figure that would keep them to one word.

Translation: Wackity Quack #@^&***!@#@!!

Thank you Mr Duck. I will take it under advisement. Oh, and don't forget. Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz !!! Laughing