16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Elmer Keith's 1-3/8 ounce 16 gauge load ?
Hammer
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:28 am  Reply with quote

From Elmer Keith historian Al Marion, who was instrumental in getting Cabela's and Ted Keith together for the Elmer Keith Museum in Boise...

Quote:

Art,

I ran down to Cabela's Keith Museum and asked "Elmer".

He said, "Check Hell, I Was There!"

He was right.

First, it turns out that the load referenced was 1-1/4 ounce, not 1-3/8 ounce. Quoting from the account of Elmer's week-long visit to the Remington plant, appearing in "Hell, I Was There!", sixth printing (1989), page 197:

"I wanted two things from Remington. I wanted them to factory load my heavy .44 Special load, and I also wanted an ounce-and-a-quarter magnum 16-bore load that I'd been loading successfully for years. There was no problem whatever on the 16-bore load. Peterson had called the boys all together, and they agreed on it right away."

(There were issues, of course, with producing the heavy .44 Special load, but that was resolved with a 1/10th inch longer case and what ultimately became the .44 Magnum.)

Al

Brayhaven
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Slide, my post was meant to be tongue in cheek. I even used to believe everything the man wrote was gospel..right up to the time I read his story about the now famous 800 yard plus .44 magnum one shot kill on a deer.
I also now understand why Jack O'Conner used to lay on some almost flammable sarcasm on Elmer about some of his more outrageous claims. Jack was also an excellent shot with rifle, handgun and shotgun. He also had a penchant for truth and accuracy in his writing, as well as having one of the sharpest wits in the business. Theri arguments are still entertaining reading. They also both made a tidy living in so doing it.

Elmer was known to be a truely excellent shot with either rifle or handgun. He was also a gunwriter during a now long gone era where telling semi-windies was a form of entertainment and not a cause for lawsuits. He loved to promote any of his ideas to the max and his writing as very colorful as well. It was his living, and his fans expected it. Some of his ideas also culminated in some of the most useful things there are for a gun enthusiast. I own and shoot several .44 mags including a nice model 94 16" carbine. I also still cast and use the .45 Long Colt Keith semi-wadcutter. It is about the deadliest cast hunting bullet I've ever used. It will just plain hammer a deer--but probably not at 800 plus yards. Very Happy

Oh Hi TT, I did not see you come in. How's the sword swinging practice goin for ya? Don't trip over your black belt on the way out now. Bye. Laughing

Yes, Elmer "Hell I was There" Keith was a good shot, though some of his claims wreak of BS.. EG: running ermine @ 400 yards with a 4" model 29.. "Only a small slit on each side of the pelt to sew up.."
Keith claimed the 270 Winchester was barely marginal for coyotes. Rolling Eyes I've shot some bear, moose & elk who might disagree with the boy on that..
IMO, Jack O'Connor forgot more about hunting than Elmer ever knew. O'connor was one who questioned some of Keith's outl;andish claims and that irritated him. Most outdoor writers saw Elmer as a braggart and didn't give him much credibility.
Some friends of mine who went through the CO sch of Trades, were hunting the River of No Return Wilderness area in Idaho, and came upon Elmer's hunting camp. They looked in his cache & found a blow up doll (full size & anatomically complete Very Happy ). They inflated it, hung it on the hitching rail & shot it full of holes. They were sure to leave some empty 270 Win cases there for old Elmer to find. Sure wish I'd been there when he found them Laughing

Greg
Hammer
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

Really didn't expect the above type of posting on the 16ga.com forum.

At least Keith didn't claim as friends people who bragged about their criminal activity and stupidity. Doesn't speak well of one's judgment or credibility to have such friends. In Idaho going through someone else's personal property could get someone accidently shot. Getting shot with a hunting rifle or handgun while deep in the Salmon River wilderness area wouldn't be too much fun, one would guess.

Last edited by Hammer on Fri May 08, 2009 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:28 am  Reply with quote

I think we might be forgetting some of our own American heritage in this matter. We are a nation which has pretty much risen from the blood of common folks. We have no legacy of royalty or divine creation or intervention to inspire us to greatness. Our founding fathers rejected those concepts when they framed our constitution. They believed in the ability of a common people to govern and inspire themselves to greatness. So the earliest generations of common Americans invented the tall tale and our own set of fictional or semi fictional heros like Paul Bunyon, Pecos Bill, and Mike Fink to to help us reach beyond the common and accomplish the extraordinary. Elmer Keith grew up in that era. I think he understood the importance of the tall tale to inspire folks to greatness.

Jack O'conner was an extraordinary person in his own right. He was a remarkable hunter and a gifted marksman. He also was a college English professor and an excellent and very precise writer. Jack could tell you what could be done, and he also could tell you how to do it. His technical expertise and sharp intellect are still drawn on today. However, Jack's writing was a bit dry at times and not exceptionally inspirational for many folks.

Elmer's sense of the dramatic and his willingness to stretch the facts a bit could actually get folks to try some of the stunts he professed were possible. He did it to me. I actually swallowed enough of his particular brand of myth and attempted to go beyond what some folks considered the limits of what could be done with a rifle or a shotgun. I believed in Elmer's claims enough to actually accomplish some exceptional things too. I went beyond my own self imposed limitations and those of commonly accepted beliefs and reached some of the goals he inspired me to set for myself.

If any of the folks here remember Walt Disney's story about Dumbo, then some of you might understand the importance of the magic feather. It inspired that little elephant to reach beyond his imposed limitations and fly. Elmer did the same thing for a whole generation of shooters and sportsmen. I for one, will always be greatful.
Brayhaven
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:15 am  Reply with quote

Hammer wrote:
Really didn't expect the above type of posting on the 16ga.com forum.

At least Keith didn't claim as friends people who bragged about their criminal activity and stupidity. Doesn't speak well of one's judgment or credibility to have such friends. In Idaho going through someone else's personal property could get someone accidently shot. Getting shot with a hunting rifle or handgun while deep in the Salmon River wilderness area wouldn't be too much fun, one would guess.

Actually 2 of the guys were friends of his. One was an instructor at the gunsmith school. And, it was done to get his goat. He took some private ribbing over the incident. He reportedly didn't deny the existence of the "latex lassie", but claimed it wasn't his... Rolling Eyes The story is true. I hope it didn't shake your hero image of old Elmer.. Who knows, his relationship with old "vinyl virgin" may have been strictly platonic Laughing
As for the rest of the description, his penchant for braggadocio was legendary. He elevated self promotion to an art form.. Smile
I always felt he inspired people to take irresponsible shots at game with handguns. I think anyone who would shoot at a deer 800 yards away with a 44 magnum (or anything else) should be banned from hunting for life.
I, and some fellow gunsmiths, have even coined the term "Keith Syndrome". It's reserved for those folks who match their bore size to their hat size, and try to propell the bullets as near the speed of light as possible. They then brag about the groundhog they shot with their 458 Lott from half a mile away Razz
Chill out, Hammer. Life's too important to be taken seriously Very Happy
Greg
ALMODUX
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:53 am  Reply with quote

Laughing Man, if you don't miss ol' Elmer and all those yarns and the hoopla with Chuck, then you ain't American! I used to sit out with a .44 as a teenager and try to shoot trees and rocks past 100 yards...thinking I could do that, too.....tough, that. I sided with elmer, and it's why I've sold every .270 I ever came into posession of, and have never bought one with the intent to keep it. Very Happy Very Happy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:54 am  Reply with quote

There is a huge gap between acting irresponsibly and trying a shot on a game animal that one has not proven himself capable of, and pushing one's limits to improve in a sensible way. A responsible person will test out a new gun or load or technique on paper or clay targets first, and then practice to make perfect. If he succeeds in improving his equipment and his abilities to a reach a reliable and consistant level of proficiency, then applying those improved tools and skills to hunting is perfectly acceptable. This is the best way to make progress IMO.

Jack O'Conner's writing taught me to test things first in a scientific manner. Elmer inspired me to try. They both had a hand in helping me become a better shot and a better sportsman in my opinion.
Brayhaven
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:06 am  Reply with quote

ALMODUX wrote:
Laughing Man, if you don't miss ol' Elmer and all those yarns and the hoopla with Chuck, then you ain't American! I used to sit out with a .44 as a teenager and try to shoot trees and rocks past 100 yards...thinking I could do that, too.....tough, that. I sided with elmer, and it's why I've sold every .270 I ever came into posession of, and have never bought one with the intent to keep it. Very Happy Very Happy

Yep, I sure do miss him, & the "feud". Elmer's columns & outlandish claims were always good for a laugh. I recall someone tried to see whether it was possible to kill (or even vitally hit) a deer at the claimed range (44 mag). He put the gun in a ransom rest to see what the margin of error was at that range. Seems it was something like 10-14 feet. He had to put sandbags under the front to get the mortar like trajectory to even put it on @ 800 yds. And the energy left in that bullet was such that it could be caught in a baseball cap Surprised). You bet I miss that guy. Especially when I was negotiating for an old pre-64 win 270. I would tell the owner that Keith said you couldn't hunt coyotes with them and the price would always come way down. Very Happy

Greg
PS: do you know how big an ermine is Laughing
Hammer
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:25 am  Reply with quote

Quote:

I think anyone who would shoot at a deer 800 yards away with a 44 magnum (or anything else) should be banned from hunting for life.

Normally, folks who fabricate stories get at least the part of the story that is well documented straight to help the credibility of the rest of their fabrication. For example, if one wants to claim that he is a Pearl Harbor Survivor it helps to know that Pearl Harbor happened on December 7th.

Trying to stop an animal that has already been wounded by a rifle hunter, getting his permission before trying to stop an obviously wounded escaping animal, and then successfully stopping the animal due to a lifetime of developed skill is a lot different than taking a shot at a passive, undisturbed animal. Realize that this is a shotgun forum, but there are more than a few people who have spent a lifetime of developing skill with a handgun. It wasn't that long ago that the general shooting population did not think you could hit anything beyond ten yards with a handgun. Skilled handgunners have shot perfect scores in IHMSA competition which includes targets at 200 meters with revolvers. Before claiming knowledge of what can be done with a handgun by a skilled person, attend one of John Linebaugh's symposiums and see a real live demonstration.

Passing along such crap hearsay concerning the dead who cannot defend themselves doesn't put one high on the list of honorable gentlemen or people who are concerned with the truth.

I came from a generation who took honor and reputation as one's most important asset and worth defending. Unfortunately, that code of conduct has passed.

Again, am surprised that 16ga.com is used for such trash and don't see how it could possibly improve the knowledge and experience of 16 gauge shotguns and its users.

Slidehammer
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:51 am  Reply with quote

Brayhaven wrote:
I recall someone tried to see whether it was possible to kill (or even vitally hit) a deer at the claimed range (44 mag).

Well Brayhaven Laughing

You attempt to "goat" is quite apparent here..... But know it's still a city goat... To an ol' Rocky Mountain Goat like a couple of us here who knew the "real" Elmer; not something read somewhere by someone else... Well that city "goat" may as well have a flashing beacon on its forehead!

All of your comments are like your quote above.... See the "highlighted" word??

I don't really care what you have heard or read! What have you done? You have killed game with a .270.... Big deal, and also off subject.

HOW MANY HEAVY HANDGUN LOADS HAVE YOU PERSONALLY SHOT AT LONG RANGE? Whatever your number, multiply it by 50,000 or higher for Elmer's number. Shooting all those rounds gives a man something... That something is called experience. Do you make every long range shot? Nope.... Elmer himself would tell you that if he could. WHAT YOU DO MAKE IS MORE AND MORE LONG SHOTS THAT AMAZE EVEN YOURSELF!

No.... My number isn't close to Elmer's... But it is tens of thousands of rounds from heavy handgun loads at long range. Elmer shot everyday (almost) I can't claim that but I shoot over 300 days a year... Can you say that Brayhaven??? I can go out in my backyard and chronograph or pattern at a whim.... I make a lot of positive statements that may iritate some on this board BUT KNOW THE COMMENT HAS BEEN THOROUGHLY TESTED BEFORE I SAY IT>>>> NOT SOMETHING I READ! Keith was this way.. My recomendation to you is don't scoff about what you don't thoroughly understand...
Even a pea-brained parrot can repeat what its heard! Speak experience not BS.... yours or someone else's.....

Brayhaven wrote:
And the energy left in that bullet was such that it could be caught in a baseball cap Surprised).

Well, what do you know! Here's an example already! Elmer's .44 Magnum load from a 6" gun even with his flat-nosed "Keith" bullet of his design still has 652 feet per second velocity at 800 yards and 236 ft. lbs. of energy left. That's about the energy of a 38 Special load at the muzzle! Still want to hold that ball cap in front of you like a catcher's mitt and catch Elmer's bullet? Not if it was him shooting you wouldn't!!!
See how experience trumps what you have heard or even worse what you guess at!

Elmer was a lot better than you think.... Experience talking not what I read..

Slidehammer
Hammer
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

Slidehammer,

Thank you for your comments.

I knew Elmer Keith. My family knew Elmer Keith. We knew Bob Hagel, close friend and hunting partner of Elmer, and other lifelong friends of Elmer. To hear a man's reputation smeared by umpteenth removed trash hearsay turns my stomach.

As to handguns, have been accumulating handguns seriously for 30+ years including 45 Colt Linebaughs, 454 Casulls, 475 Linebaughs, 500 Linebaughs, built by folks like John Linebaugh, Hamilton Bowen, and other master gunsmiths. Been swaging bullets since I was 16. Have been experimenting with cast bullets with a wide variety of shapes and alloys in a wide variety of media from Hagel Boxes to water to newspapers to boards to gelatin. When you have your own lab and never have to travel to the range in order to shoot at a mile distance you can accelerate learning a little.

Shot in IHMSA competition back in the 1980s.

Have taken 6 x 7 elk with a Ruger Bisley 44 (at less than 25 yards). Have hunted Africa with handguns using revolvers and Colt 1911s.

Have taken prairie dogs with revolvers and semiauto handguns at close range. On bull prairie dogs at under five yards, my youngest son likes the 380 KelTec over the 32 KelTec due to its wind bucking capability (see the light humor).

Participated in John Linebaugh's seminars in Cody. Provided the medium and big bore guns (378 Wby, 460 Wby, 500 A-Square, 500 Nitro Express, etc) and ammunition that was used in the comparisons published in the American Handgunner articles by John Taffin and in other magazine articles. Personally fired the shots into the soaking wet newspapers and measured the depth and diameter of the holes in front of 100+ witnesses. Yes, in several cases revolver bullets outperformed the elephant guns. People still comment about the 460 Wby 500 soft Hornady that only penetrated 9 inches into wet newspapers and turned that 9 inches into real confetti. That recovered bullet was flat as a pancake. On the other hand, there were hard cast LBT revolver bullets that approached 4 foot of penetration in the same media.

Ross Seyfried reported similar results on African, Australian, and American big game comparing big bore revolvers to rifles.

I wouldn't want to stand in front of Elmer Keith, John Linebaugh, Jeff Cooper, or Ross Seyfried with them firing their personal handguns at me at any range.

Personal experience over umpteen years and lots of experimentation with a wide variety of guns and ammunition on a variety of targets is needed to form useful opinions.

That is why I come to the 16ga.com forum. Looking for real expertise on 16 gauges by people who have actually done it and done it more than once.

Repeating trash about the dead is never acceptable.

Brayhaven
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:53 am  Reply with quote

Wow, you guys are sure touchy about someone quetioning your shooting deity. Very Happy
No, I was not, and am not an Elmer Keith fan. Though I recognize his contribution to shooting, I was never attracted to people who brag & are careless with the truth. Or people who encourage hunters to take shots that inevitably will cause wounded game or worse. I also thought he was out of line, personally attacking other writers who had differing opinions. Especially when they were usually right ...
As for the hunt camp story, I got it from one of those who was there, who I've known for 40 yrs. It was a funny incident that you seem to let bother you. Lighten up a little Smile
In my life, in competition, military, business etc, I've found it's not the one who brags the most or talks the loudest who wins the races or the shooting matches.
I was not aware Elmer won any national shooting titles, though some friends who shot with him say he was a good shot. My skepticism of many his claims comes from his own writings. The horse's mouth, so to speak..
As for the number of heavy handgun rounds I shoot, it's none (these days). I have a bad elbow that is aggravated by heavy recoil. I do shoot 2-3 matches a month in bullseye & muzzle loading pistol, which is IMO the most difficult pistol disciplne. When you think you're a good pistol shot, try a flintlock offhand @ 50 yards. Laughing All my shooting is offhand, one handed, which is how I think one should shoot a "handgun" Confused
I never thought the number of rounds you sent downrange was nearly as important as how well you shoot. You obviously have a different opinion on that. Since you asked, I have only placed 2nd in one match in the past year (won all the rest) and have won the FL state ML pistol match the past 5 years. Which probably shows I can shoot a pistol as well as the next man/woman. But even with that, I would never, ever shoot at a deer over 100 yards with a handgun, and prefer to shoot @ 25 yds or less.
Are you advocating that 200 fpe is adequate for deer hunting, even when you can't place shot within 10-14 feet of each other? Let alone 3" accuracy needed for responsible, humane kills.
I've also been a gunsmith for 40+ years and have heard it all and seen a lot of it.
I'm sure your vast experience is far greater than mine, and all the recognized experts with great experience, who demonstrated many of Keith's statements to be BS, were also inferior to you.
So, no one can can question the statements of someone who died? Once he's kicked up to the big range in the sky, everything he said, no matter how outrageous, becomes gospel... right ? Rolling Eyes
They really should quit picking on that Darwin fellow Wink

All that righteous indignation must weigh heavy on your shooting arm Very Happy

Greg

Slidehammer wrote:
Brayhaven wrote:
I recall someone tried to see whether it was possible to kill (or even vitally hit) a deer at the claimed range (44 mag).

Well Brayhaven Laughing

You attempt to "goat" is quite apparent here..... But know it's still a city goat... To an ol' Rocky Mountain Goat like a couple of us here who knew the "real" Elmer; not something read somewhere by someone else... Well that city "goat" may as well have a flashing beacon on its forehead!

All of your comments are like your quote above.... See the "highlighted" word??

I don't really care what you have heard or read! What have you done? You have killed game with a .270.... Big deal, and also off subject.

HOW MANY HEAVY HANDGUN LOADS HAVE YOU PERSONALLY SHOT AT LONG RANGE? Whatever your number, multiply it by 50,000 or higher for Elmer's number. Shooting all those rounds gives a man something... That something is called experience. Do you make every long range shot? Nope.... Elmer himself would tell you that if he could. WHAT YOU DO MAKE IS MORE AND MORE LONG SHOTS THAT AMAZE EVEN YOURSELF!

No.... My number isn't close to Elmer's... But it is tens of thousands of rounds from heavy handgun loads at long range. Elmer shot everyday (almost) I can't claim that but I shoot over 300 days a year... Can you say that Brayhaven??? I can go out in my backyard and chronograph or pattern at a whim.... I make a lot of positive statements that may iritate some on this board BUT KNOW THE COMMENT HAS BEEN THOROUGHLY TESTED BEFORE I SAY IT>>>> NOT SOMETHING I READ! Keith was this way.. My recomendation to you is don't scoff about what you don't thoroughly understand...
Even a pea-brained parrot can repeat what its heard! Speak experience not BS.... yours or someone else's.....

Brayhaven wrote:
And the energy left in that bullet was such that it could be caught in a baseball cap Surprised).

Well, what do you know! Here's an example already! Elmer's .44 Magnum load from a 6" gun even with his flat-nosed "Keith" bullet of his design still has 652 feet per second velocity at 800 yards and 236 ft. lbs. of energy left. That's about the energy of a 38 Special load at the muzzle! Still want to hold that ball cap in front of you like a catcher's mitt and catch Elmer's bullet? Not if it was him shooting you wouldn't!!!
See how experience trumps what you have heard or even worse what you guess at!

Elmer was a lot better than you think.... Experience talking not what I read..

Slidehammer

Last edited by Brayhaven on Sat May 09, 2009 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Hammer
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:03 am  Reply with quote

Quote:

I was not aware Elmer won any national shooting titles

Yeah, it might be good to research your topic before writing about it.

bdicki
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:19 am  Reply with quote

Looking through "Shotguns by Keith" I see no mention of any 16ga load bigger than what he calls the heavy 11/8 ounce loads. He does speak highly of the 16 bore.
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:10 am  Reply with quote

Brayhaven wrote:
My skepticism of many his claims comes from his own writings. The horse's mouth, so to speak..

Skepticism has no basis unless you have experience in and on the subject. Your self-admission says you don't....

Brayhaven wrote:
As for the number of heavy handgun rounds I shoot, it's none (these days).

HUMMMM??

Brayhaven wrote:
When you think you're a good pistol shot, try a flintlock offhand @ 50 yards. Laughing

Here is a great example! Nothing was said about your heavy handgun long range ability until you self-admitted it was nil.....
You then throw this comment out as if you are the lone star on the subject! Yes! Shooting a flintlock pistol tests (and improves) probably the most important handgun disiplines. Trigger control for one! It will get a "flincher" everytime as well. But please don't "bray" as if none of us have had the pleasure of a "flinter" as you would be wrong again!

Brayhaven wrote:
I never thought the number of rounds you sent downrange was nearly as important as how well you shoot.

How well you shoot IS from the number of rounds you send downrange. You know this!

Brayhaven wrote:
Which probably shows I can shoot a pistol as well as the next man/woman.

It only shows you can shoot, maybe very well, in one particular handgun disipline. Doesn't hold any water on heavy handgun long range work.

Brayhaven wrote:
Are you advocating that 200 fpe is adequate for deer hunting, even when you can't place shot within 10-14 feet of each other?

I will say this.... If that shot goes in the boiler room....Well, it beats an out-of-stater putting 2000 foot pounds from his .270 into the fleshy part of the ham on a bull elk! The Ransom rest test you are stuck on was flawed by the way... I won't waste time educating you... Believe what you will from your "experts". Many just a drip under pressure!

Brayhaven wrote:
I'm sure your vast experience is far greater than mine, and all the recognized experts with great experience, who demonstrated many of Keith's statements to be BS, were also inferior to you.

While tongue in cheek, maybe even condescending by you..... You might be ahead in long range handgun knowledge it you did believe this as fact!

Brayhaven wrote:
They really should quit picking on that Darwin fellow Wink

Whether you know the truth about long range handgun use is probably not important to you or to me.....

But knowing the truth about your above and last quote is very important to you! I highly recommend you devote your time to finding out this truth... It is eternally important!

Slidehammer