16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  MEC 8567 grabber vs MEC 650 ?
Colt1917
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:40 am  Reply with quote

My only reloader for the past two years is a 28 ga MEC Sizemaster.

I now also need a 16 gauge reloader, and I think I'm coming around to seeing the value of a progressive.

Is the only difference between the grabber and the 650 the grabber's ability to resize?

If so, do I really need that resizing capability if I'm always shooting the factory shells and subsequent reloads in the same O/U shotgun?

(I picked up a very slightly used Browning 525 Sporting 16 ga w 30" barrels yesterday and she's a keeper. Also, I'll mainly be reloading black RGLs for skeet.)

Thanks,
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:48 am  Reply with quote

Simply ask yourself why you bought a Sizemaster over a 600 Jr to answer your own question. The 650 has been obsolete ever since they introduced the Grabber back in the 1970's IMO. I don't understand why MEC continues to make the 650. The Grabber outsells it by a huge margin, and for some very good reasons.

One more point here. All shotshell manufacturers are moving away from brass to steel for rim material--even for their premium ammo lines. You will have to resize steel rims everytime--especially if you ever buy a repeater.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:28 am  Reply with quote

The 650 will be fine in the situation the gentleman has, shooting the reloads in only one gun, and starting off with factory loads, as a source for hulls.

The only questions I would ask are, is the Citori the only 16 gauge gun you will ever own, and will the only source for hulls be new factory. If the answer is yes to both the 650 will be fine, if not the Grabber is the better choice.

Personally, I would buy the Grabber and be done with the what ifs.

On another note GG, how are you privy to MEC's sales figures?(This should be good)
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:04 am  Reply with quote

Actually DC, I don't need to see the sales figures. Anyone with eyes and and some common sense can figure this one out. Grabbers don't sit on the sales tables in gun shops gathering dust year after year. 650 models do. But like I said, it takes some common sense to figure it out for yourself. When you get some, try it for yourself. You'll be amazed how much easier life will be from then on. Very Happy

Wait for it.....
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:36 pm  Reply with quote

Brother, you are the greatest speculator on the planet, keep up the good work.

Not sure if you are retired or not, but you must have been in finance, naaaaaaaah, with your record of being incorrect, I got it, a weatherman!!!

You probably are correct with the 650 vs Grabber sales comment. Why did you do that and screw up a perfectly good record of being wrong.
Colt1917
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

Gee, you guys should get a room.

To answer what's been asked previously, I really would be doing all the reloading for the 525 and from factory shells that I first shot in that gun. I do in fact have another 16, a 60 yr old sweet sixteen with a fixed IC barrel that I'm considering having Briley fit a skeet, light mod, and extra full to, so that I can hunt almost anything that you'd want to hunt with a 16, but all that would be with factory loads.

A local friend who has a basement full of loaders has suggested I either buy the parts to convert my relatively new sizemaster to 16, or take one of his unused grabbers (not in 16) and refit it. I could probably swap him an 870 for everything I'd need to do that.

Stay tuned, I'll let you know how it plays out and thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to getting in the low pressure group for some decent RGL skeet loads.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Colt,

You need to check with MEC on the Grabber parts, a while back I converted a 12 gauge 9000G to 16 gauge, and it took an act of congress to get MEC to release the parts I needed to do the conversion. So before you get taking the outer shell plate off one of those Grabbers make sure you can get the pieces parts from MEC, as I don't believe they make a conversion kit for their progressive reloaders at least they didn't. The conversion ended up working great but there is more to it than just changing dies like you would on a Sizemaster. the problem won't be in the doing, that is easy, it will be with getting all the parts.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

Keep your 870--Buy a Grabber and watch the silverware if your "friend" visits Shocked The headache of switching it over is uneeded --IF you can get all the parts--yes it can be done but you don't buy something one piece at a time Embarassed
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

I have a ton of 12ga Grabbers and thought the same thing , and nope they SELL PROGRESSIVE PARTS FOR CONVERSION well in excess of the price of a new Grabber , I was out of luck as well .

Always get the Grabber and you will be able to do it all .

Regards Charles