16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Nice Shot
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody have any experience with Nice Shot??

Impressions?

I know sooner or later I will need to use non-toxic shot in my 16 gauge guns. I was all set to use Bismuth as I have loading data for it. Now Bismuth seems to have messed up and don't know which end is up.

I like the idea of Nice Shot, with a bit of information from their website.

But...
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:04 am  Reply with quote

Mark,

I have no reason to use the stuff.
However, I have a couple of friends that are hard core duck hunters.
They used some of the NICE shot shells loaded by RST, and where very pleased with the loads. For whatever thats worth.
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:42 am  Reply with quote

I bought a kilo (2.2lbs) of #5 Nice Shot for trial on waterfowl this coming season. Nice Shot weighs the same as lead shot and is relatively soft. I like using the lead shot reloading recipes that Nice Shot allows. You don't need buffer, mylar wraps or special wads often included in Bismuth, or Hevi Shot or steel recipes.

I believe Nice Shot is the most expensive non-toxic shot option, but I'm lucky to fire 50 rounds a year at waterfowl so the incremental cost isn't all that high for me. I shot three rounds of #5 Nice Shot at wobble skeet just to make sure the recipe I use would work and it "killed" clays just fine. I'll let you know how lethal it is when I try it out on waterfowl this fall.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:52 am  Reply with quote

Spike,

I would be very interested in trying it out. I only duck hunt a few times a year, but I would really like to use my 16. Right now this Nice Shot seems, like the way to go.

BTW, I haven't forgotten your invite to shoot some wobble skeet. It might take some time to shake loose on a weekend, but I will make it!!
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:01 am  Reply with quote

My experience has been identical to Spike's.
Early in the 'Nice Shot' campaign I contacted Ming Huan and got some early 6's (they soon became unavailable for awhile). Far as I'm concerned the stuff is lead and loads with the same recipes and components. As Spike sez, one may not shoot much of it so cost doesn't seem to be an impediment, particularly when considering the cumulative costs of one's firearm, dog, dog upkeep, boat, outboard, calls, camo, etc.,etc.,etc.
I've never understood the tendency to 'go cheap' on ammunition. The game deserves the best we can offer to make a clean kill IMO.
A5Mag12
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

I use it in a 3/4 oz 28 gauge load and it is quite effective on wood ducks.
putz463
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:32 am  Reply with quote

[quote="A5Mag12"]I use it in a 3/4 oz 28 gauge load and it is quite effective on wood ducks.[/quote]

What size shot?

Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:25 am  Reply with quote

A5Mag 12

Your name belies your shooting habits, but I like your approach. A 3/4oz 28 gauge load sounds just about right for wood ducks, teal and mallards and blacks over decoys, which is most of what you see on opening day anyway.

Spike
A5Mag12
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

#6 shot, sorry. I have 3 kilo's of #5 shot and I think I bought 8 kilo's of #6. I bought mine very early at what was called the introductory price of $42.00+ some change a kilo that worked out to $20.00 a pound. So at 3/4 oz of shot I have $1.00 worth of shot in each load. A 3" 12 ga would need twice that. When you do the nath the little guns just look better and better. That's 2 ducks with the little gun to 1 duck with the big gun.

I still like to get the big gun out ever so often. But I have lots of walk in holes and that 5 lb 4 ox 48 AL and half a pocket full of 28 ga shells sure makes the walk back lots better. And after all, how much gun does one need to kill 3 wood ducks?
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I am going to give it a shot this fall.
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:19 am  Reply with quote

The more reloaders who buy Nice Shot the more likely the cost will come down. My 16 gauge guns were manufactured before the advent of steel shot shells and although I don't believe that smaller size steel shot (<#2) will harm barrels with modified or more open chokes, steel is just not as lethal as heavier shot types. I only shoot at 20-30 ducks and geese per year so lethality is important to me.

I have been shooting Tungsten Matrix for waterfowl since it came out because it is essentially identical to lead and far more lethal than steel, but I've never seen TM shot available for reloading. I will probably try the 16 gauge Hevi Shot Classic Doubles on waterfowl this year also. The product information from Hevi Shot claims that this shot is a lot like Nice Shot or TM. I use as much of my puny purchasing that I can to support non-toxic shot development.
A5Mag12
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot lots of T/M also. I have cases and cases of it from 2 3/4" 20 ga to 3" 12 ga. I love the stuff also. It's just like back in the old days with that stuff. The only way to get it for reloading is to get someone in the UK to get it for you and ship it to you. But the last time I checked it would have been cheaper to just buy the loaded shells. I picked up all my T/M before the price went up. And I stocked up on several good clearance sales on Rem Hevi and Federal Tungsten/Iron shells plus close to 65 lbs. of bulk Hevi and the Nice shot I have to last me the rest of my shooting life unless we start having to shoot non-tox for every thing.
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:28 am  Reply with quote

If nice shot would come down some in price, I would load it and it only. I am going to use it next year more and get a better feel for it.

I shot a few birds with last year, and I am pleased so far with the penetration. But the birds I shot with it were pretty routine nothing out of ordinary shots. I would like to see how it works at longer ranges etc.

I was using #5 shot.