16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Downrange 16 wad strategy
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:19 am  Reply with quote

My crummy old need-replacing iMac won't let me participate in the "16 gauge low pressure group" chat anymore, so please let me know if all of the following is already being discussed over there.

I think we need to have a place to discuss "who" is testing "what" hull/load for the new Downrange 16 gauge wad. That said, I'm assuming this will all undertaken by the "16 gauge low pressure group" members, or at least in partnership with the 16GLPG with data being reported to the group.

Hopefully we are testing all of the common hulls (Federal, Fiocchi, Chedditte, Rem, and any others).

I'll start.

Federal hull, 7/8 oz /International Clays

Federal Hull, 7/8 oz/American Select

If anyone is already testing these please post up. It doesn't matter who gets what done. With summer right around the corner it's time to get going on this, and shooting those sweet light loads at targets!
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
I'll start.

Federal hull, 7/8 oz /International Clays

Federal Hull, 7/8 oz/American Select

If anyone is already testing these please post up. It doesn't matter who gets what done. With summer right around the corner it's time to get going on this, and shooting those sweet light loads at targets!

And a good choice these are! I too would like to see results from the above baseline loads!

Slidehammer
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:08 am  Reply with quote

Dave,

LPG isn't doing anything that I can see. So you aren't missing a thing.

I believe that trying to get a strategy going is going to be an excersise in frustration. Everyone has a different set of componenets and parameters (myself included), and since this is personal money, that's the way it goes.

I have 5 or 6 loads in mind, 2 are going to Precsion Reloading on Monday. I will share the results of all the tests I have done both good and bad.

The 2 going are:

16 Ga.Cheddite Green Hull 2 3/4"
Fed 209A Primer
20.0 Grs, American Select
DR-16 wad
3/4 ounce of lead shot

Fed 209A Primer
23.0 Grs, Universal
DR-16 wad
7/8 ounce of lead shot

I have played around with a few 3/4 oz. combinations, but they haven't reliably functioned my 1100, so most of the stuff I do will be 7/8 oz. The 3/4 oz. load above seemed very good in my pumpguns so I will proceed with it and maybe another 3/4 oz. for my Model 12 in a 2 9/16" load also.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:53 am  Reply with quote

Well, let's at least try to get a sense of what is being tested.

Is anyone planning on testing a 7/8 oz Fiocchi-hull load?
mtjim
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Well, let's at least try to get a sense of what is being tested.

Is anyone planning on testing a 7/8 oz Fiocchi-hull load?

I'm interested in the Fiocchi hull with 7/8 oz load as well. I bought my wads from Recobs so I don't have the free testing option.
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:18 pm  Reply with quote

"16 Ga.Cheddite Green Hull 2 3/4"
Fed 209A Primer
20.0 Grs, American Select
DR-16 wad
3/4 ounce of lead shot

Fed 209A Primer
23.0 Grs, Universal
DR-16 wad
7/8 ounce of lead shot "

GMTA! (Great Minds Think Alike), 20gr of Green Dot here with the DR16 for the 3/4oz,
and 24gr of Herco with a Gu1621 for the 7/8oz, Rio primers.
Same hull,,,,,,, love to hear the results of your loads. Might be able to bump mine up a grain or so with the slower powders.
Cheers,
R*2
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:30 am  Reply with quote

I plan on testing both the Fiocchi and Nobel Sport hulls with 7/8 oz loads, and 15.0 gr H-Clays with the DR-16 wad in hopes of finding a load around 1200 fps for targets using the same powder that I use in the 12 ga. If Clays doesn't work, the Universal should, which is what I use in 20 and 28 ga. I have them loaded, I just need to get off my backside and send them in to Tom for testing.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:47 am  Reply with quote

Hi USAF1, glad to know you are back to enjoying your shotguns again. I think you should be on the right track with International Clays. 16 to 16.5 grains under the new wad in a Cheddite type hull should give you about what you want. IC is a near duplicate of Green Dot except for having a slightly lighter density. I used 16 grains of GD under the new wad in a Remington hull with 3/4 ounces of shot for a great performing, easy to shoot skeet load. I'ver been using the same charge weight for my 7/8 ounce loads as well without any problems. I ran it all past the folks at Alliant a couple or three yeras ago and got the green light. Hope the info helps you find a starting place for your desired load. Good luck.
last dollar
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:48 am  Reply with quote

What kind od f pressures are we looking at with the IC powder 7/8 oz shot ,the discussed wad and Fiochi hulls???? I'm loading a bunch of stuff right now for a Vintagers shoot at NRA Whittington in a couple of weeks...Gonna shoot a couple of 16's
mtjim
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:38 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Hi USAF1, glad to know you are back to enjoying your shotguns again. I think you should be on the right track with International Clays. 16 to 16.5 grains under the new wad in a Cheddite type hull should give you about what you want. IC is a near duplicate of Green Dot except for having a slightly lighter density. I used 16 grains of GD under the new wad in a Remington hull with 3/4 ounces of shot for a great performing, easy to shoot skeet load. I'ver been using the same charge weight for my 7/8 ounce loads as well without any problems. I ran it all past the folks at Alliant a couple or three yeras ago and got the green light. Hope the info helps you find a starting place for your desired load. Good luck.

16gg - what kind of primers did you use with your Rem. Hull and the 3/4 and 7/8 oz loads?
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

16gg - I was hoping to use H-Clays, instead of Int'l Clays, for the light target loads since that is what I use in the 12 ga/7/8 oz loads. I know the pressure in the 16 ga will be higher than in the 12 ga, but the LPG has a few loads with 17 gr. of Clays, giving higher pressures and velocity than I need, so I was hoping that around 15 gr of H-Clays will bring the pressure and velocity down to acceptable levels. These loads will be used in a BPS and a Citori, so I am hoping for under 10K psi. I just want to see if I can get a good target load without having to buy another powder! If not, I can always fall back to H-Universal.
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

I'll be sending the following out for testing on Friday:
Quote:
1) 7/8 oz, 18 gr Greendot
2) 7/8 oz, 22 gr Universal
3) 3/4 oz, 19 gr Greendot

All 3 loads using a Blue Cheddite Hull and Win209, and the DR16 wad.

These 3 loads for the DR16, and a whole bunch of other loads...including a 1 1/4 oz load in a remington hull using a CSD 20 wad. I'm hoping this one works out, as it makes a real nice shell, and a real nice pattern.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

last dollar wrote:
What kind od f pressures are we looking at with the IC powder 7/8 oz shot ,the discussed wad and Fiochi hulls???? I'm loading a bunch of stuff right now for a Vintagers shoot at NRA Whittington in a couple of weeks...Gonna shoot a couple of 16's

I'd guess they will be 9000 psi or less. See what they test out at before you start shooting with them.

Looks like we are covering the bases nicely! Keep the loads coming!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:08 am  Reply with quote

mtjim wrote:
16gaugeguy wrote:

16gg - what kind of primers did you use with your Rem. Hull and the 3/4 and 7/8 oz loads?

I have used just about all of the standard strength 209 sized primers in these loads to economize. I buy my primers by the 5K case and get the cheapest ones I can at the time. I've been doing this for many years now. I am (or was) a serious trap shooter. I found that I could always tweak my powder charges up or down a bit to match performance and or pressures if need be. Generally, this has worked out very well for me if the primers are of good quality and give consistant performance.

My main goal here has been to obtain good, consistant target breaks with any target/practice load in question. I've always managed to do so regardless of the primer being used as long as it is a good, reliable one. I've never obsessed over a bit of pressure or velocity up or down as long as the swing was not too great. If I noticed some deterioration in the consistancy of the breaks, I'd do a bit of fiddling with to improve things. I've always been able to do so. Experience has taught me how to make an informed guess which way to go. It works for me well now.

I'm presently using the newest version of the CCI 209. It is a much improved primer now that Alliant has acquired CCI and has revamped the QC standards. I also got them very cheaply too. It seems to be a tad stronger or hotter than a Remington STS or Win 209. However, it is not as hot as a Federal 209 or any of the magnum 209 primers.

My 3/4 ounce 16 gr. GD loads are all mild ones, so switching out any of the standard strength 209 primers should not pose any real problems. Load performance on the targets has not seemed to be negatively affected either. This switchability is one of the reasons I like GD over some of the faster powders. My loads remain flexible, reliable, and safe.
spr310
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:31 am  Reply with quote

16GG. Why do you keep saying that Alliant has purchased all these companies? They were all purchased by ATK. Maybe Weaver set up the QC for CCI as they are in the same family.
http://www.atk.com/customer_solutions_armamentsystems/cs_as_cammo_default.asp