16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Skived and unskived hulls?
QUAILSHOOTER
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:44 am  Reply with quote

Could someone be kind enought to explain the difference between skived and unskived hulls ? How do they relate to crimping?

Thank you,
Glenn
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:30 am  Reply with quote

Hi QS,

A skived hull has a slight taper at the mouth of the hull, that extends, on a 16 ga. about 1/4", from the mouth of the hull to just above the shoulder of the crimp.

It does make for a smoother crimp especially an 8 pt.

I am on the fence about whether I like a skived hull, as I have no problem using a 6 pt. crimp, which are not as sensitve as applying the 8 pt. variety. I have had unskived hulls last longer than their skived counterparts.

I believe that skiving is helpful, to us as reloaders on new hulls, once they are fired, there really isn't any difference.

As far as roll crimping goes I have never tried it with a skived hull(not much of a fan of roll crimping anyway), maybe another member has info on that.

Last edited by dogchaser37 on Mon May 11, 2009 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:33 am  Reply with quote

QUAILSHOOTER,

As you are posting on the 16 gauge site I'll answer in reference to the 16....
Skiving by definition is a releaving of plastic from the I.D. out of the hull mouth. The material is removed in a tapered manner, ending 3/8" to maybe 1/2" deep. (varies with manf.)
The 16ga has sadly, gone to almost all 6 point crimps! Six point crimps in the 16 don't need skiving; thus saving a step in manufacture and $$$.. Remington is an exception, and still skives their hulls mainly because they use a considerably thicker hull wall and are "forced" to skiv because of this...
The main reason for skiving a "normal" hull thickness would be the application of an 8 point crimp... These used to be fairly common in 16 but have disappeared as of late.... Sad, as hull life seemed better with the 8 point.
If one reloads new hulls the eight point could be used. Crimp quality would improve by skiving in this case as it allows for the additional folds of the crimp to better flatten into place.

Slidehammer
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:40 am  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:
As far as roll crimping goes I have never tried it with a skived hull, maybe another member has info on that.

I load more roll crimp lately in the 16 than folded!

Appearance-wise a skived hull roll crimps fine..... Performance-wise I much prefer un-skived.

Chronograph results are much more consistant with un-skived hull which leads me to think the stiffer crimp is a benefit to better performance.

A skived hull trimmed to 2 9/16" improves the quality/performance of the roll crimp as well when compared to rolling the full length skived hull. This is in reference to Federal, as I don't roll crimp the Remington blacks.

Slidehammer
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:56 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Slide, I wondered about the skived and roll crimping.

I would never have enough patience to reload my target loads and roll crimp them.
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:27 am  Reply with quote

One more roll crimp comment......

Using hulls which were previously crimped folded... (factory loads)

I have found it imperative to "iron" out all of the folded crimp memory that is possible to acheive the best roll crimps. I place the fired hull on a tight fitting heated mandrel and then roll them against a hard surface. Some even use an iron set on low! The difference between a great job and melting the plastic is narrow and something only learned by experience however!

Slidehammer
spr310
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:42 am  Reply with quote

A question on roll crimping versus fold crimping. When fold crimping the actual pressure placed on the wad depends on how well we fold crimp, does the roll crimp put as much pressure on the new plastic wads? Also does this impact the performance then? Myself I like the looks of the roll crimp, but I prefer to roll crimp loads using fiber wads. Also I do this on once fired hulls where I cut the hull down removing the folds and the skiving.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:23 am  Reply with quote

SPR310,

I have always had the same concerns.

There isn't a big difference in roll crimping and fold crimping. In the few tests that I ran both fold and roll were consistent, with roll crimping showing a slightly higher pressure figure (under 500 PSI i.e insignificant). While roll crimps were as consistent as fold crimps, they were more time consuming to produce.

Yes the roll crimp will compress the plastic wad just like a fold crimp will.

While roll crimps do afford some advantages, for most situations fold crimping is the way to go. Folding crimping is easier, faster, will produce consistent shot to shot performance on par or exceding roll crimps, and you don't have to worry about a cardboard over shot card getting wet in bad weather.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:32 am  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:
SPR310,
Folding crimping is easier, faster, will produce consistent shot to shot performance on par or exceding roll crimps, and you don't have to worry about a cardboard over shot card getting wet in bad weather.

Perhaps but they aren't nearly as cool Cool

And nothing and I mean nothing is as nostalgic as the aroma of a freshly fired roll crimped paper hull on a brisk autumn morning.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:41 am  Reply with quote

LOL you are right about that.
spr310
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:37 am  Reply with quote

I quess I've got a little of that nostalgia also. I remember when I was a kid al of those roll crimped paper shells. I stll have some of those roll crimped green slugs we used on deer. Got my first ducks with those remington-peters roll crimped paper hulls. My first slug gun was an old noble 16 gauge pump, which is still laying around someplace. My duck gun was a Sears 12 gauge pump. Probably $35.00 to $40.00 in both of them.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Slidehammer wrote:
One more roll crimp comment......

Using hulls which were previously crimped folded... (factory loads)

I have found it imperative to "iron" out all of the folded crimp memory that is possible to acheive the best roll crimps. I place the fired hull on a tight fitting heated mandrel and then roll them against a hard surface. Some even use an iron set on low! The difference between a great job and melting the plastic is narrow and something only learned by experience however!

Slidehammer

How true you are.
I love a roll crimped hull, but I only roll paper hulls now.
I don't have the patience for all the prep work required for the plastic hulls.
Even if you roll crimp a new plastic hull, you have to heat the crimp out of it, before you can load it again. Too much trouble.
QUAILSHOOTER
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

THanks to all . I was going to buy some hulls ,new and primed, mail order
the company listed skived and unskived at a difference in price. If I readthe
answer to my question correctiy unskived (cheaper hull) will work fine.

Thanks again,

Glenn
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:34 pm  Reply with quote

Glenn,
I use the Fiocchi skived hulls and they work great with either 6 or 8 pt crimps. The skiving is only about 1/8 in but it definitely helps seal the 8 pt crimp so that it almost looks airtight. It also helps the 6 pt but they don't look quite as nifty as the 8 pt. I would admit that the 6 pt crimps are more consistent than the 8 pt on the MEC 600 jr that I use.

Good Luck,

Brewster