16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Downrange16 disappointment
rizzini 16
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:14 am  Reply with quote

I tried the new wad in the Fed purple & the green cheddite, couldnt get a decent level crimp. Played w rammer tube..blah blah...then I notice the damn new wad has no friction whatever inside these hulls, it just slides up and down loosely in there. Rem black hull only slightly better. Is the diameter wrong? Glad I only bought 500-anyone want them at half price? What are you guys finding out?
Thanks, Rizzy

Rrusse11
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:17 am  Reply with quote

rizzini,

What shot/powder charge are using? What reloader? They're working just fine for me in the green Cheddites with 3/4oz & 20.4 GreenDot. Yes, I had to play with wad rammer and back off the final crimp setting in my P/W 800, I do get a tad of crimp dish, but that doesn't bother me at all, better that than a convexity. Deadly at the clays course for me.

Cheers,
R*2

Ps. If you can't get 'em to work, I'll take your bag.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:49 am  Reply with quote

I am using a PW375 and the 7/8 oz. loads in Win. (both types)and Remington cases with International powder. I am still playing with the loader. My first hulls had a little dishing goig on. It is fine untill I push the hull out of the die where the dishing occures. Like I said I will need to work on my adjustments a little. Each time I change my loads the PW needs tweeking and this one is no exception.
Best,
Ron
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:59 am  Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by dogchaser37 on Sun May 24, 2009 6:39 pm; edited 7 times in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:12 am  Reply with quote

I find it somewhat ironic that your wads are not fitting snugly in a Remington hull. The prototypes I was sent last year were perfectly snug. The final version is a tad bigger. Most folks are reporting the new wads are a very snug fit in the Remington and fit the bigger hulls nicely as well. I'd suggest some experimentation and some patience before throwing in the towel.

If you still wish to get rid of them after some time, I will swap you out an equal amount of R16, SP16, or Gualandi wads for yours. Your choice. You can PM me to work out the details if you wish to.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:06 am  Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by dogchaser37 on Sun May 24, 2009 6:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
kgb
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:45 am  Reply with quote

My PW's a 900 but should operate the same as an 800 for the most part. I haven't loaded any downrange wads but if they require -0- pressure with the MEC presses, the same for a PW progressive could be achieved by backing out the wad seating ram so that it is just inserting a wad into a case. Then, screw in the seating ram (mine uses a screwdriver but it could be turned in by hand) until you feel the wad seat in the shell.

If that doesn't work, try turning the seating ram in or out a little at a time until the shell comes out like you want, or at least as close as you can get and then you might be able to fine tune with the crimp starter/finisher.

I've also found my press will alter the final crimp when punching out the shell, for those loads that have a flat crimp. For any load that has a dished crimp, the punch doesn't make any difference, but it is another potential variable.

When I first started in on my press I only loaded 12ga hulls and could interchange Win AA, Rem Premier, and Fed Gold Medal loadings interchangeably without altering anything on the press. The Wins were 7/8oz using grey wads, the Remingtons and Feds 1oz using Fig 8 and 12SO clones. In 16ga, it's always taking a tweak here or there for a particular round.

BTW, on my press that light seating of a wad, just atop the powder, allows 3/4oz and 7/8oz loads in shortened Cheddite/Win hulls, the variable crimp making it all come together well. My 7/8oz bushing also happens to show a slightly light weight, the 3/4oz is right on, so variables abound. A light seating of the wad also gives me nice 7/8oz loads in a full-sized Rem GL with the Rem R-16, 1oz with the Rem SP-16, a big part of the reason I haven't tried the Downrange wad yet.

kgb
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

shootingsioux wrote:
However, the so-called powder migration rings are worthless in Cheddite and Fiocchi cases (didn't try any Federals) -- they are just too small to be of any consequence. For me, this wad works best for in RGL's, with their thicker walls giving smaller inside diameter. But why would I need to use the DR16 in that hull?

I'm a bit confused here. I thought Charles had designed the DR16 primarily as a wad to be used in the larger capacity Reifenhauser type hulls with the powder anti-migration rings and over powder cup large enough to seal the powder chamber and stop any potential migration (which I find a bit of a non problem to begin with) in the largest capacity hulls.
spr310
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

personally I use thw gualandi 1oz wad in 2 1/2 " hulls and makes a perfect 3/4oz load. 3/4oz of shot just fills the cup. There are also 3/4oz and 7/8oz loads using both of BPI wads in 2 3/4" hulls. Have no problem with these either.
Square Load
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

spr310 wrote:
personally I use thw gualandi 1oz wad in 2 1/2 " hulls and makes a perfect 3/4oz load. 3/4oz of shot just fills the cup. There are also 3/4oz and 7/8oz loads using both of BPI wads in 2 3/4" hulls. Have no problem with these either.

I use the R16 wad in RGL and Win CF hulls cut down to 2 9/16" with 7/8oz of shot and no fillers. Have never tried 3/4 oz in these hulls but I bet it would work also. When I want to shoot loads this light I just use one of my 28 gauge guns.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
kgb
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
When I want to shoot loads this light I just use one of my 28 gauge guns.

And for those without 28ga guns, a 16 with 3/4oz of shot works fine. So would a 20.

kgb
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:37 am  Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by dogchaser37 on Mon May 25, 2009 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

Well, my very first reaction to that is, I don't think I'll rise to that bait, but will continue to use the R-16 wads I have; they work wonderfully well......hope everyone has had a great weekend. I shot a 50 straight at skeet yesterday with a Citori and an A-5 so I'm feeling just fine..

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

These DR16 wads are part of the overall 16 gauge puzzle.

I haven't even begun cleaning my reloading area to do my summer loading. Just too busy at work and related activities. Embarassed

I hope to come up with some good 7/8 oz. Federal/Cheddiite/Fiocchi loads with the DRT16. I'll keep shooting my Gualandi 20 gauge loads in my Remington hulls.

All good for now!

Glass half full!