16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Remington Game Loads
KolarDan
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:38 am  Reply with quote

I have hunted all week for the Remington 1 oz. Game Loads. Just found them at Dick's and, because I bought 4 Cases, I received $1.00 off the shelf price of 6.98/Box.
Very Happy
Including the 6% WV State Sales Tax, this comes to $6.33/Box. Does anyone know where they might be bought cheaper than this?
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds pretty inexpensive to me Kolar Dan. I saw the same price at Dick's the other day but the only had one case and wouldn't give me a case discount because, the clerk claimed, that they couldn't get more ammo right now.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

Right now $6.00 a pop is pretty reasonable for ammunition considering it was probably loaded when lead was sky high. My recommendation is to wait until August or early September, just before dove season. Dick's has discounted their Remington ammunition by as much a 25% at the start of the hunting season. Don't know if their discounts will be that deep this fall but it can't hurt to watch and wait.
oldcoldranger
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

That sounds like a great price to me. To find a case or enoungh to make a requires driving and calling around. Confused

When you can find any 16 gauge here it is at least $10.00 a box for anything to be used for clays. It is $20.00 or more for hunting loads. Mad
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

I've been debating whether to buy more at Rural King for$6.99 a box--I know that the price will not go down but still hate to pay 50% over what the price was only a short time ago--in my mind anyway ayear or so ago Mad Evil or Very Mad
KolarDan
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:33 am  Reply with quote

That was my reasoning behind buying up a bucnh now. I just bought another reloader P&W 375 Duromatic - 16 Ga. --- matches my .410 loader.

Now that I have the capability to reload, I'm looking for the Remington game loads for the hulls. Like you say, "they won't get any cheaper" and thats why I bought all (40) boxes they had --- 30 boxes #6's and 10 boxes #7.5's.

Hopefully, my RBL will be in by the end of August, but if not, my Rizinni will do just fine on those Doves and I won't run out of ammo! Very Happy Very Happy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:35 am  Reply with quote

Back a couple or three years ago, one of our local Dick's SG shops were selling The Remington GL16 loads at about $3.69 a box with a discount on their case price of an additional 10% (plus the usual 5% charge for our state Govvie). I bought 10 cases and never looked back. Net cost--$3.49 per box.

Unfortunately, this was about the time Remington decided to go ultra cheapo on the hull plastic in these shells. The hulls reload about 1 or two times and the mouthes split all to hell. I still can't complain. The price was ridiculous. I still wonder if it wasn't a pricing error. I didn't ask. They didn't say. Very Happy
KolarDan
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:20 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy,

Dick's is famous for price screw-ups! They hire a lot of young kids who could not care less if Dick's is making any money. I'll bet good money and have actually seen it happen that an individual could walk up to the counter, tell the young lad or las that this item is marked down to $.99/box and they would not argue or check to see if this is correct and enter that price into the register.

I've seen this happen!

Cheap Labor! You get what you pay for in almost everything! Shotgun shells are no different

If you buy your shoes at Pick-Way, don't bi----ch when your feet hurt!

I hate the idea of buying the cheapest shells on the market. They are all junk, but I shoot a lot of shells each year and every nickel adds up!

I would love to punch the guy in the nose who came up with the idea of steel case heads! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

They don't eject well out of autos and stick in my skeet tubes!
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:55 am  Reply with quote

Dick's advertised discounts on 12's and 20's "only" for 2 or 3 years around Boston, but that didn't prevent some cash register clerks from extending the discount to other gauges. One friend of mine managed to buy 7 cases of 3/4oz - 28 gauge Remingtons for $4.15 a box (tax included) at one Dick's store. He was going to buy one case of 28s for reloading that were marked $7.95/box (a fair price for 28 gauge target loads), but the clerk at the register insisted the advertised sale- and case- discounts applied to the 28 gauge shells he put on the counter. My friend promptly aborted the sale, returned to ammo counter and took every case of 28s they had.

The cash register clerks at Dick's stores in more urban locations around Boston don't seem to know the difference between gauges, calibers or quality of ammo and discount it all the same. I've been the beneficiary of the same mistake with a couple of cases 16 gauge shells. Another friend bought 4 boxes of Federal Premium rifle ammo (normally $25/20 rounds) for the $9.95 advertised sale price of some Remington Core Lokts.
Ash Goodwin
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:51 am  Reply with quote

Dan-

Off subject. I hunted with a very nice fellow in SD who had just bought his new heavy cold weather hunting boots at Wal-Mart the day before our hunt.

He made it a day and a half of our 3 LONG days of hunting. Sad thing was it wasn't cold, and he could have hunted in tennis shoes! I doubt he'll ever hunt again.

As you say you get what you pay for, and Stupid is as stupid does.

ash

Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well- Diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery Munjor, KS 1902
KolarDan
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:56 am  Reply with quote

Spike,

It is great to get these SUPER DEALS, however, Dick's had better get a handle on this and educate their employees/clerks on shotgun shells or we will have another ammo supplier "going out of business".

The only thing that could be worse than paying too much for a box of shotgun shells, is not being able to obtain the merchandise at all from local suppliers!

Ash,

Right on!
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

Kolar Dan is exactly right about not running a good and convenient discount supplier out of business. The Dick's near my home seems to have figured the problem out because now the guy or girl behind the counter at "The Lodge" where the ammo is dispensed writes the price of a box of shells on the outside of a case. We buy during Dick's sales whenever we can, but also patronize them on a regular basis for fishing and hunting equipment. Dick's has a community relations person at every store and donates at least $1000 work of disounts and coupons to our Local Ducks Unlimited Chapter banquet every year. The selection of fishing and hunting equipment is not at the Bass Pro Shop level but they touch almost all the bases and their locations are more conveninet.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Dick's can run its business any way it wishes. I'm not on the payroll. In my case, the sticker price was on each box. I asked for a couple of cases and was told about the 10% discount after the fact. That is when I asked for 10 cases and got them.

I never argue with good fortune or a bargain price. I just stock up and thank the fates for the savings. It's good to win one every now and then. I also tend to give repeat business to those who are good to me. I later outfitted myself and a certain young NA fellow for our ND pheasant hunt out of the same store a while later.
TJC
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

Dicks has been very good to me when it comes to the RGLs. 2 yrs ago I was buying a fair amount of RGLs to use for trap and SC. I got to know the 1 manager quite well. He ordered me in from other stores 22 cases of 7.5s. Forget exactly what I paid but it was a lot cheaper than the advertised price AND I still got the 10% case discount on all 22 cases.

I didn't shoot last year very much due to surgery but I've been hitting the supply in the basement quite good this year. I'm "down" to 41 cases of 16ga ammo, mostly RGLs with some Fed GLs added in.

I might have to think about a reloader. Question

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
I might have to think about a reloader. Question

TJC I wouldn't waste my time on a reloader if I were you. Too many moving parts you know. Besides don't you listen to the President, he says the economy needs stimulating.