16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bought 16 gauge Reloader and Components
shortymet55
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:36 am  Reply with quote

My father's friend is moving away. He has been a long time reloader, but he sold his 16 gauge shotgun and my father has a 16 gauge, so the guy sold my dad his 16 gauge reloader (as well as hulls and wads). So, now we have a 16 gauge MEC jr. Im excited to start reloading and using my father's 16 gauge more often, but I have questions about the hulls and other components we were given. I reload 12 and 20 gauge, but I know very little about 16 gauge reloading. Here is what I was given:

1.) Hull: On the side of the hull, it says "F2 classic B&P" (24)
- I read the thread just posted here, but those look green. Mine are yellow.

2.) Hull: Estates, high brass (50)
- These a abit too tall. Ive shot this kind of hull and they are too tall to eject from a Model 12. Can I cut them down?

3.) Hull: A single Fiocchi (1, but makes 25 with the B&P hull)

4.) Wad: Remington SP16

5.) Wad: Ballistic Products Sporting 16 (SG16)

6.) Powder: Hodgdon HS-6

I would like to use as much of what I was given as I can, but at the same time I would like a good reliable safe load. First, are either of these hulls worth reloading? They are starting to look worn, but after my inspection, I can still reload them, just only a few more times.

So, now I need some recipes. I tried to look for some, but I dont know which of these components I should try to use and which I should just toss. I assume wads are still good. The powder is almost empty. Hulls are on there last leg.

The components I would like to make use of (I already use on other gauges) are Unique and Red Dot powder and Winchester Primers.

I would like to get two recipes.
1.) Skeet Load: 3/4-7/8oz (Very light Recoil)
2.) Hunting Load: 1- 11/8 (Manageable Recoil)

Also, they will be shot out of a many year old Model 12, so nothing pushing its limits.

Thanks
smashdn
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

A Lyman Manual will give you quite a few different loads though none are for shorter than 2 3/4. The Ballistic Products 16 gauge manual has helped me out some.

I am not a member of the low pressure reloading group here as I have a new 16 that can take the punishment of hotter shells, but they have many tried and true low pressure recipes.

There are some loads using unique in the lyman manual. A bag or two of the fiocchi primed hulls would be a good investment to make along with a manual.
shortymet55
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

I already have the lyman's manual. But, I dont know what I have that is worth using. From what Ive read, I suppose I should get some new hulls. I have plenty Estates though, so I would like to use them if anyone knows what kind of data they work with.

Thanks
JAE 16
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

They are Federal
shortymet55
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:38 pm  Reply with quote

I have read people cut them down to 2.5", so I should have no issue taking an 1/8" off to shorten them to eject right? Right now, there a bit too tall and get caught.
shortymet55
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

ok, Ive been looking at everything I can to find good data. I primarily use alliant powder, but it only has 11/8 shells, so thats worthless, since Im using it for skeet, I want it light (1oz max, less better).

I found a good load in my Lyman's manual though:
Universal (22.5gr), Win209, B.P. SG16, 1262fps, 8,700psi

I see in my manual that Universal and Unique are very close in burn rate. So, I assume there is a similar load with Unique, but I cant find it! The Lyman's only has Unique with a Fed 209A primer in a 1oz load.

Is there a load out there with Unique? Thanks
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

Shorty,

Unique always acts a bit slower than Universal. There probably is data on the Low Pressure Group site.

Personally, Universal would be my choice, it is cleaner burning and fits the application a bit better than Unique. However, I do understand availability issues. You might take a look at Green Dot. That might be a better alternative than Unique if you can't get Universal.

Estate Hulls? What color? Do they have a paper base wad in them? If they do I have some excellent loads for you.
shortymet55
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

The Estates hulls are purple, with a paper base wad. Im always open to getting some recommended loads!
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

Those Estate hulls are made by Federal and are the Federal 16 ga hulls.

2 Unique loads from Alliant Powder Company

Federal Hull(same as your Estates)
Fed 209A Primer
21.5 grs. Unique
SP16 Remington Wad
1 1/8 oz. lead shot
1,185 FPS 8,900 - PSI

Federal Hull(same as your Estates)
Fed 209A Primer
22.5 grs. Unique
SP16 Remington Wad
1 1/8 oz. lead shot
1,240 FPS 9,600 - PSI

I do have some 1 oz loads but they use B & P 16 gauge wads. If you want the data let me know. I am sorry, I thought I had some Unique loads using Gualandi wads but I was mistaken.

I have other 1 1/8 oz. loads, they use 800-X and Longshot powders, the velocities are higher, and they'll drive a roosters d*ck into the dirt. They are going to recoil a bit especially the Longshot load.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
shortymet55
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

Im gonna go out and buy some Universal I think. Unless I find some Unique loads.

As far as my ejecting problem, the barrel says its a 2 3/4. All Fiocchi and B&P hulls eject. But the Estates have issues. Ive started trimming them up.