16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Setting up a State of the Art Ballistics Lab
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

Due to the recent and ongoing difficulties of getting prompt and accurate load testing done for all componets , Ole Ben and I are doing a Feasibility on this very subject .

I have contacted some of my Friends that work for the Federal Government that do this sort of thing for a living and have gotten lots of good information from them and as well as our very own Dogchaser ( Mark ) I would like to thank those that are making a contribution to the Feasibility study .

We are looking at a set of Dynamic Pressure Transducers for the following purpose .

To Measure the pressure of the Chamber and MUZZLE PRESSURE so each barrel will have not only one but two Transducers , I feel the second one is as important to the event as is the first one .

Below is a Screen Dumpshot of the Program that we have been looking at , this program will be in ASCII Format and will be compatable with any Data Crunching Program .

We will look at doing things that have yet to be tested so it is an ongoing study .

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Signal_Express_FFT.PNG

I am not satisfied with Math to calculate downrange velocities or energies so we are addressing this issue as well .

We are including the use of ULTRA HIGH SPEED CAMERA'S as well in order to capture things in flight that are currently not being done .

Regards Charles
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Charles and Ben,

Glad to see you are going forward with this project.

As you know, if you ever wanted to have all the loads tested that would be relevant, you would go broke. (No offense to any lab). And the powder companies aren't always into the loads that a reloader wants to see, as they are trying to sell powder and the 16 gauge isn't ever on the top of the list. You also will not have to wait for testing to be done, or have to put a new idea on the back burner.

This will be a big advantage for you in the long run and for your customers Charles, in ways that you are yet to discover. A lot of armchair ballistic ideas are going to be blown away, right before your eyes.

To say the least I am jealous!!

Is there an associate membership with SAAMI, in your future. I hope so as they have a lot of good information available, as well as access to industry reference loads.
Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Charles, where do you get your time? I only have 24 hours in a day up here in Nebraska.

I say go to town. I want to test some 10ga, some 16ga, some 24 ga.......
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

We will be visting all the way down to the Tenn State Shoot on this subject and after we get there as well .

I even changed my mind on the load that I will be shooting , I loaded up 19.5 gram loads , one half with homade shot and the other half with #9 shot , thought what the heck go on the cheap this time and see what happens .

Regards Charles