16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Paper Ammunition for a Ithaca 37s?
TankerT
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

Hi,

I inherited an Ithaca 37s recently. I was told that my grandfather quit using it because shells on the market went to plastic, and the gun had a problem with plastic shells.

Are there any manufacturers of paper 16 ga shells that would work in this gun? It's from the 40s, and I will admit, I know very little about shotguns and I don't want to start messing around with it until I am comfortable knowing I'm loading shells in the firearm that will work with it.

To be clear, I have no interest in reloading.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

RST produces paper hull ammunition for the 16 gauge. If shells with paper hulls will work in the gun modern plastic hull will also. Try a box of Winchester SuperX (the ones in the silver box). They are the lowest recoiling ammuntion available in most areas. I think you will be satisfied with their function and performance.
Roadkill
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

TankerT,
If the gun has 'problems' with plastic ammo, it may have a dirty or rough chamber. I'd try cleaning it thoroughly. Another possibility is a worn extractor, I had to replace one a few years back in my 1945 vintage 37R 16ga. Brownell's had the part for about $12 at the time, and it was a relatively simple job to swap out.
Do you know exactly what the 'problem' was?
Bill
TankerT
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

Roadkill wrote:
TankerT,
If the gun has 'problems' with plastic ammo, it may have a dirty or rough chamber. I'd try cleaning it thoroughly. Another possibility is a worn extractor, I had to replace one a few years back in my 1945 vintage 37R 16ga. Brownell's had the part for about $12 at the time, and it was a relatively simple job to swap out.
Do you know exactly what the 'problem' was?
Bill

According to my grandfather, he had both paper ammunition and plastic ammo, when the plastic came out. He said that the plastic wouldn't eject properly. (If I recall correctly.) He still had some paper ammo, and said that it would work fine.

(Actually, I still have some of his old paper ammo, but I'm guessing that after 40 or 50 years, it's not exactly good for use.)
TankerT
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
RST produces paper hull ammunition for the 16 gauge. If shells with paper hulls will work in the gun modern plastic hull will also. Try a box of Winchester SuperX (the ones in the silver box). They are the lowest recoiling ammuntion available in most areas. I think you will be satisfied with their function and performance.

I'll try a box of the SuperX. Thanks.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:33 am  Reply with quote

I have a 1946 Ithaca 20 gauge and I've shot several thousand plastic shells through it with no problem.

I'll bet all current 16 gauge plastic shells will work fine. If not the problem is probably a rough chamber or dirt behind the shell stops.