16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  "Hallucinating" over High Velocity...
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:
Slidehammer,

The reason I wondered, was for a comparison between the 3/4 oz. #6 load at 1200 FPS and a 1 1/8 oz. load of # 6's at a similar velocity. I was just looking for pellet count in the turkey

It is interesting that the #5's pattern better in your shotgun than #6's in that load. I had to really work to find a load that would work better with #5's than #6's in my favorite shotgun.

I got yah.... My first post had the 1100fps data pictured! 3/4oz of #6 at 1200 was shot for penetration but I don't have a head shot of it!

I'll shoot one next outing. As I compile data and see the difference between 6's and 7 1/2's as to penetration number 7 shot is screaming at me to show its stuff!

That 16 gauge Model 97 likes 5's! 4's too for that matter. Winchester made the best fixed full chokes IMO. I've had buffered 4's right at 100%. Doesn't like 6's as well. I've had different guns like 6's and 4's and not 5's. This ol' gun even likes 1 1/4oz of buffered Lubaloy BB's (I have a few left) GOOD GOOSE LOAD! Could of been anyway!

Slidehammer
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Slide,

My Model 12 - 16 Gauge of 1916 vintage is marked full at .026 constriction, and it shoots like a full choke should, though I have never patterned it with anything larger than #7 1/2. It went about 80% at 40 yards with a one ounce load at 1250 FPS or so.

What constriction is the model 97?
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:
What constriction is the model 97?

The one shooting the good patterns is .670" bore and .640" choke for .030" constriction.

Slidehammer