16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hodgdon's explanation of Winchester Hulls
Citori_16
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:42 am  Reply with quote

I spoke with Hodgdon's Customer Service line yesterday. I asked what the differences were between the 4 different designations that they show online for Winchester hulls. They have what they call the X-pert hull, Plastic hull with plastic basewad and Polyformed with plastic base wad.

I was told that the Polyformed and Plastic Hull with plastic base wad were the same thing. I then asked what designation would be considered as the current Winchester hulls. I was told that the X-pert designation is the currently manufactured Winchester hulls.

He also stated that the Polyformed hulls were very close to the same and figured that there was probably a base wad height difference between the Polyformed and current manufactured hulls, but would not state that it was actually the case and that the data could be interchanged. I didn't expect him to do that either.

So, there is the basic differences between what is described on their website. The X-pert hulls are the currently manufactured Winchester Hulls (similar if not Cheddites). The Polyformed and the Compression formed.