16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Federal hull/DR16 wad 7/8 oz velocity data
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

Here are the results of my preliminary velocity tests involving the DR16 wad in the Federal hull. My goal was to find a 7/8 oz load right around 1200 fps to send in for pressure testing. I looked at two powders (International Clays and American Select) and used Winchester 209 primers. The chronograph was set up with the mid-point of the chronograph screens at 36" from the muzzle. The test gun was a 28" barreled Remington 11 with a modified choke.

International Clays

16.0 gr. = 1120 fps
16.5 gr. = 1222 fps*
17.0 gr. = 1245 fps
17.5 gr. = 1303 fps
18.0 gr. = 1502 fps

American Select

15.5 gr. = 1155 fps
16.0 gr. = 1194 fps*
16.5 gr. = 1230 fps
17.0 gr. = 1241 fps
17.5 gr. = 1286 fps

I also tested the middle load in each string substituting the Win 209 primer with a Remington 209P primer. They went:

Int Clays-17.0 gr = 1208 fps
Am Select-16.5 gr = 1227 fps

Keep in mind, these are only tested for velocity, not pressure. I would strongly suggest you wait for the pressure data before you adopt these loads. I'll send in the loads marked with the asterisk for pressure testing as these were pretty close to my goal.

The crimps were a bit concave, but they sealed well. Based on the results at this point, I like what I'm seeing with the American Select. Seems to be more stable and predictable based on this admittedly small sampling.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Black&Tan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

Good work, Dave!

That's exactly what I'm looking for.. Got those powders, those hulls those primers..
Will pressure results be listed over at the LP group when they become available?
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

Yep! I'm waiting to hear from Russ before I send things to Tom.

Thanks, B&T! If the pressure loads check out, I'll be loading a bunch of those American Select loads!
Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

If you would, post the pressure data whenever you get it.
I have never used either of those powders, but looks like 17-17.5 of either works pretty well.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch, as long as the LPG is paying for the pressure test, that data is belongs to the group, so I can't post it here.

If for some reason these pressure loads are not able to be funded by the LPG and I pay for the testing myself, then all I will ask of you is a "thank you" and you are welcome to the pressure data.

If that doesn't work for you, then take the data I freely listed here today, duplicate the loads and send them in yourself to be tested.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or other names I have been called over the issue LPG funded data. I'm just loyal to the rules until told otherwise by the group.

No problems, please! Cool
mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
kgb
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, that sounds promising!! I did a "bracket test" with PB some time ago and when I chronographed a few I wound up with higher velocities than what they turned out having when later submitted. Wound up shooting my chronograph's display, too and had to buy a new panel!!

Will look for the results on the LPG pages, thanks for submitting those!

kgb
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:46 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,
I'm with Mike,,,, you sure about that last Clays load at 1502fps? If so you've gone over the edge of a gradual pressure curve and into dangerous territory with only .5gr of powder.
The Select is looking very consistent and predictable. Did all loads cycle your Model 11? Change the ring settings at all?
Cheers,
R*2
Black&Tan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:16 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Hootch, as long as the LPG is paying for the pressure test, that data is belongs to the group, so I can't post it here.

If for some reason these pressure loads are not able to be funded by the LPG and I pay for the testing myself, then all I will ask of you is a "thank you" and you are welcome to the pressure data.

If that doesn't work for you, then take the data I freely listed here today, duplicate the loads and send them in yourself to be tested.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or other names I have been called over the issue LPG funded data. I'm just loyal to the rules until told otherwise by the group.

No problems, please! Cool

I know Dave Erickson from other boards.. I know him to be a stand-up, ethical guy. I applaud him for his stance on sticking to the rules of the Low Pressure group.
I believe that membership is open to everyone. When I joined, I think it was 15 bucks for more data than I could handle. Today, I look back on it as being the best fifteen bucks I ever spent!
I have a few friends that I could have shared data with, but I just don't, because it is the property of the group...

It's cheap enough to join, and well within everyone's budget...
Black&Tan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:16 am  Reply with quote

Duplicate... Sorry.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:24 am  Reply with quote

B&T, thanks for the backup buddy!

Mike and Russe11, yes, I believe that 1502 fps is legit. I stopped on the fourth round of that string (1303 fps) because I was a little nervous about that jump from 1245 fps tp 1303 fps. When all the loads where fired I decided to fire that last International Clays load and it really recoiled HARD!
Probably shouldn't have fired it, but I figured the old humpback could take it. Based on the violence of the recoil and the jump in velocity, I wouldn't do that one again! I also didn't like that 100 fps jump on the first two shots of that International Clays string (1120-1222).

Mike, it was just one shot per load. I know the shot-to-shot deviation makes this data less than complete, but I think it will steer me toward the American Select in this hull with 7/8 oz. I love the Int. Clays in the black Remington hull for 7/8 and 3/4 oz (GU2025 wad), but I've seen enough in this test to focus my efforts now on the American Select in the Federal hull. I'm sure other powders will also work well.

Russe11. my Remington 11 cycled all of the loads except that first Int Clays load. The rings were set on the heavy setting.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:37 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:00 am  Reply with quote

Mike, I agree with all of your post. I have seen enough however to pick American Select in this case (npi). Smile I FELT that recoil rise substantially in the last two shots on the International Clays string. i was shooting while my buddy was recording, so it was apparent when that recoil was rising sharply. That last round was in the danger zone and I should have listened to my gut and stopped after the 4th load.

But that's OK because I'm done for now!

I'm just sending in the 16 gr. of American Select load @ 1194 fps. Russ even balked a little because these are more "moderate" pressure loads, and not true low pressure loads. Keep that in mind new LPG members.

Now pending pressure testing I have what I need for the Federal hull. I also have what I want for the Remington hull, so now hopefully some others can find some moderate 7/8 oz loads for the Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls and I'll be completely set!
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:39 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:10 am  Reply with quote

mike campbell wrote:
Dave,

Does anybody know what the hull construction is for 2009 vintage Winchester-Western Xpert hunting loads? Is the AA-type hull really extinct or is it still being manufactured for their premium pheasant loads?

Mike there is no Winchester-Western Xpert being made currently. Hodgdon keeps calling the current Australian Super X (Cheddite) the Xpert hull and when this is pointed out to them refuse to change their data base to reflect the correct hull nomenclature.

Here is a link to their (Hodgdon's) explination:
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7643