16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Velocity vs. Mass.... "The Summary"
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:50 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
PS, I could have simply posted, "Razz Razz Razz !!"

Please try!

As your attention span grows short allow me........

"RESEARCH TALKS; ... WHILE BULL$H_T MOCKS!"

Slidehammer
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:20 am  Reply with quote

Like I said originally Slide Barrel, I appreciate your efforts and am not mocking them. I am mocking your apparent self-important, haughty, and POed attitude toward my simple suggestion to use a well soaked wet media if you intend to equate the results with what will happen when a game bird is taken with lead shot.

I am questioning your conclusion that lead pellets tend to remain round and don't flatten out when penetrating a bird carcass. The results run counter my own field observations gathered from cleaning many bird carcasses taken with lead shot. I've actually picked too many somewhat flattened and misshapen shot pellets out of too many dead game birds to accept your thinking that lead shot does not flatten out to some degree when penertating a bird. It most certainly does. I believe the enlarged frontal area of a somewhat flattened pellet will disrupt more vital tissue and will impart more shock while doing it better than the smooth surface of a round pellet. I also believe that higher impact velocities cause lead pellets to flatten out more, which amplifies the tissue disruption and the resulting shock.

I've witnessed too many birds being hit with high velocity loads of relatively small pellets to discard them as ineffective. If used correctly, they kill birds very quickly and cleanly. On the other hand, I've learned that trying to take birds with the same loads at longer velocities results in crippled and lost birds. Once the velocity falls below a certain threshold, the pellets will not flatten out much and the effect is lost. At this point, bigger pellets carrying more kinetic energy do a much better job of taking gamebirds.

I've actually used both small pellets at high velocities and bigger pellets at more moderate velocities to cleanly kill birds. If used properly, both types of loads work very well. Each type is a tool. Using each tool properly will give good results. I don't see this as a contradiction. I'm a pragmatist. I'm not for or against either type of load. I like them both in their place. Simple. To me, it is the results that matter.

I think you made a simple but important mistake in setting up your experiment. My suggestion is to repeat your tests using well soaked media with a volumetric fluid content which closely resembles that of of a bird carcass. Then check the results against your initial findings. Valid procedures produce valid results which amounts to sound scientific research and not BS. Good luck.

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:35 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Like I said originally, I appreceiate your efforts. One suggestion. Repeat your tests using well soaked media with a volumetric fluid content which closely resembles that of of a bird carcass. Valid procedures produce valid results which amounts to sound scientific research. Good luck.

16gg this is sound scientific research the only possible difference between the results of Slidehammer's tests and the ones that you are proposing is the depth of penetration into the media. The ratio's will remain constant if the density of the media is constant.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:19 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:44 am  Reply with quote

I don't believe that TB. Water does not compress. The effects and results will almost certainly be significantly different when using a wet media. This is why ballasticians rely on ballistic gel to observe the effects of a projectile.

Penetration is important, but so is the effect of the surface texture and the frontal area of the pellet has it penatrates the media. The inertia and energy of the pellet at the time of impact is important as well, so velocity and range automatically come into the matter. It is all relative. Disregarding any of these factors will result in overly simplistic and inaccurate conclusions.

One more point is being overlooked here. Wet or dry media cannot die. It is already dead. So we can't observe how quickly and cleanly either type of load kills. The only way to learn is to do it. I suggest folks learn to use both types of loads to their own best advantage. This way, they won't have to take anyone's word or opinion for it.

All I ask is for anyone to apply some simple common sense, and keep in mind that any hunted animal deserves a quick clean death. Stretching things out too far to prove a point is not being a good hunter and sportsman. Use the tools correctly and in good conscience. Thanks.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:50 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
I don't believe that TB. Water does not compress. The effects and results will almost certainly be significantly different when using a wet media. This is why ballasticians rely on ballistic gel to observe the effects of a projectile.

Penetration is important, but so is the effect of the surface texture and the frontal area of the pellet has it penatrates the media. The inertia and energy of the pellet at the time of impact is important as well, so velocity and range automatically come into the matter. It is all relative. Disregarding any of these factors will result in overly simplistic and inaccurate conclusions.

One more point is being overlooked here. Wet or dry media cannot die. It is already dead. So we can't observe how quickly and cleanly either type of load kills. The only way to learn is to do it. I suggest folks learn to use both types of loads to their own best advantage. This way, they won't have to take anyone's word or opinion for it.

All I ask is for anyone to apply some simple common sense, and keep in mind that any hunted animal deserves a quick clean death. Stretching things out too far to prove a point is not being a good hunter and sportsman. Use the tools correctly and in good conscience. Thanks.

Read my response. I am talking about ratios. Of course the penetration distance will differ but the ratio of penetration between the wet media results and dry media results will remain constant.

Mike you need a better example because you are comparing an apple to an orange. Of course a solid projectice which retains its original frontal area will penetrate farther than an expanding projectile that doubles it's frontal are as it penetrates the media.

Don't argue with Slidehammer or I'll sick Toney on you Very Happy !
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:05 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
One suggestion. Repeat your tests using well soaked media with a volumetric fluid content which closely resembles that of of a bird carcass.

I have tested hundreds of rifle and handgun bullets over the years using wet newspaper and old wet phone books. Penetration and expansion are very measurable. Trauma to the test medium somewhat less measurable and difficult to photograph.

I have not disregarded this type of test for down range shot impact either. I guess we could try it for expansion tests. I don't think "Magnum" shot mushrooms much at extended ranges so I guess we could see what the data tells us.

Actually though, I want a test medium that would simulate bird flesh and also keep the wound channel trauma area intact for photographing. A medium that could then be cut or sectioned for a picture. (side view) So far I don't have anything that accurately simulates and holds the trauma pattern as well as I want.... Anyone have any ideas?

Here's what I think is the main issue here..

So much, so called "data", is now calculated or even worse, guessed about in regards to down range affects from shot impact and performance. The dynamics of a cluster of shot (independent projectiles) leaving the muzzle of our shotgun and going down range is far more complex than a single projectile from our rifle or pistol traveling down range! At least this paper penetration test that has been done takes real shot pellets, shot from a real gun, and examines the actual down range impact results. Much more could make this more conclusive as to actual trauma to our game bird. But none the less, this testing has been "real world", not calculations or guesswork.

Slidehammer
bigkev
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:23 am  Reply with quote

Slidehammer, great info, though I am not surprised by it at all. I love the American #7 shot. I use it on prairie birds and ruffed grouse. I prefer larger sized pellets and fewer of them as long as the density is good. Also, with larger pellets, in addition to the increased penetration and knock down power, they are more apt to fully penetrate the tissue/meat and thus leave you less birdshot to spit out while you are enjoying your harvest.
Thanks for taking the time to do this testing.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:03 am  Reply with quote

.....Don't argue with Slidehammer or I'll sick Toney on you Very Happy ![/quote]

Oh please, God no!! Anything but that. Very Happy
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:11 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:25 am  Reply with quote

Mike I agree in general and in practice with what you are saying but again you are comparing shot with two different properties and the only thing they really have in common is the diameter of the shot. In a head to head comparison I'm not sure which will have the greatest penetration the #7 steel with its hard non deformed sphere or a #7 lead with its higher density and increased retained energy. But that is not really the question. In order to get a valid comparison you must control the variables in Slidehammers case the variable was shot size in your case it is density and malleability. Its difficult to isolate the cause and effect when you are working with more than one variable.
woodcock
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:33 am  Reply with quote

Available data (Thompson, Oberfell, [/i]et.al.) suggests that pellet deformation if a result of pellet impact with bone rather that the result of tissue contact.
In Mike's example he indicated that the flattened pellets "snapped the spine" before ending up "under the skin".

It seems to me that much of the 'data' available is of little practical use to the average shotgunner. Generally, if the shot cloud insersects with the flight path of the bird................ Wink In short I suspect good shotgun pointing is a more germane issue than any other...it seems to be for me at any rate.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:55 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

I can't keep up. Shocked

Let me know when you're done with this and what you come up with. Cool

I'll be out cleaning the garage.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

I've got dibs on any gold boullion you might find. Very Happy