16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  lead shot, chilled and magnum
KolarDan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:03 am  Reply with quote

jbiss wrote:
Good Morning Gentleman,

I am still confused, is magnum shot lead shot? Is chilled shot lead shot? And what is soft lead in comparison to the others? Is antimony added to the lead and that makes it harder Mr. KolarDan?

Are there manuals of any sort out there about reloading? If there are where would I be able to purchase them?

MAGNUM SHOT AND CHILLED SHOT ARE BOTH LEAD. DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS, BUT SOFT LEAD WOULD BE LEAD SHOT WITH LESS ANTIMONY, MAYBE 2-3%. MAGNUM SHOT CAN HAVE AS MUCH AS 6-8% ANTIMONY ADDED TO THE LEAD DURING PRODUCTION AND YES THE ANTIMONY MAKES THE SHOT HARDER.

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THOSE PERCENTAGES! I THINK I'M CLOSE, BUT DON'T HAVE THE INFORMATION RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME TO VERIFY, BUT YOU GET THE POINT (THE MORE ANTIMONY, THE HARDER THE SHOT)

THERE ARE MANY RELOADING MANUALS OUT THERE. HOWEVER, MY SUGGESTION IS TO GET YOUR RELOADING DATA FROM THE MANUFACTURER WHO PRODUCES THE PARTICULAR POWDER THAT YOU ARE USING Exclamation Exclamation

HOPE THIS HELPS Very Happy Very Happy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:16 am  Reply with quote

They are all forms of lead alloy shot. Each has a different amount of antimony, and/or tin in the mix, depending on the desired grade of shot.

All modern small lead shot is made in a drop tower by a specific process that forms the right size globs of alloy and allows them to harden into spheres as the globs fall a specific distance through controlled temperature, cool air into a recovery tank of water. It is the cheapest and quickest way to produce shot. The method produces excellent results if it is controlled well.

Dead soft lead shot has no antimony in it, but does have a minor amount of tin. Pure lead does not form up into smooth round spheres very well. Tin helps the glob become round and smooth as it falls, but adds very little hardness to the pellet. Dead soft lead pellets tend to deform very easily and is dirty to handle as well. So the shot tends to become damaged during normal handling and shipment. I think this is why dead soft shot is no longer made by the bigger shot manufacturers.

Chilled shot has both tin and a very minor amount of antimony in it to help toughen the lead pellets up a bit. The alloy used still produces a somewhat soft pellet, but the shot is easier to handle, bag, and ship without damaging it.it is also much cleaner to handle.

Magnum or extra hard shot (same stuff) has a higher percentage of antimony in it. Antimony melts at a significantly higher temperature than lead, so it also hardens faster as the alloy cools. The antimony cools and becomes less dense which allows it to gravitate to the surface of the glob as it falls and hardens. This toughens the pellet by giving it a harder outer shell. The percentage of antimony in the alloy is reduced a bit for bigger pellets, because too much tends to crystalize too quickly on the surface of the glob and hampers the drop shot process. #7.5 and #8 shot have the highest percentage of antimony and also are the hardest pellets. This works out quite well, as these two sizes aee the most commonly used for trap shooting. They tend to produce the best patterns at the longer ranges the game is shot from.

Tin is used because it also melts at a slightly higher temperature than lead and is a bit harder as well but its very close in both respects. Tin is softer than antimony and also melts at a lower temperature as well. Tin adds to the surface tension of the glob in a way that helps it form up nice and smooth. This produces a pellet that is cleaner to handle. The tin also helps prevent the antimony and lead from seperating too quickly as the alloy glob cools as it falls. It prevents the antimony from crystyalizing too much on the surface of the pellet and helps the antimony to distribute itself more evenly on the pellet's surface.

Anyway, that is just about all I know about this matter. Hope the info helps you. Good luck with your reloading. 16GG.
smashdn
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:31 am  Reply with quote

If a body was want to produce some of their very own lead shot how high a shot tower would one need to make inorder to get approx. 4-5-6-7 size shot? I recall seeing in a Backwoodsman someone making shot, but it was decidedly not round and was infact more tear dropped shaped bordering on slag. Even worse looking than Hevi-Shot. He claimed no less deadly however.

To be able to produce some 4 and 5 shot without having to buy a 25 lb bag would be nice.

My biggest concern would be melting the lead on the top of the house without burning a hole in the roof. Laughing
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:07 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
However, if you or anyone could steer me to some dead soft lead shot, I'd appreciate it. I've never found any for sale. I'll bet the stuff would be great for similar uses at more moderate velocities.

You don't pattern much do you, GG?

Drop shot (Virtually pure lead) hasn't been available much, if at all, since WW2 in sizes smaller than BB.

Suggestion: Get on the threads about "making your own shot".... Ask if someone would make you up a few pounds of 7 1/2's from pure lead....

Then load them up good and fast like you like or slower.... you choose! See how they work! Then pattern them against the same size in Magnum shot.... To reverse the order would be better....

Shotguns kill with multiple hits if we disregard central nervous system hits for a moment. (Cervical and brain shots are usually very fast dispatchers.) Let's call the vital hits being in the "boilerroom" then.

I would venture to say if you get four of your "deformed" pellets in the "boilerroom" that five of the magnum variety would still dispatch better. A century ago exactly your belief of mushrooming pellets and greater "killing" power is what kept "drop shot" alive up until WW2.

I have killed a lot of ducks with lead #2's.... Why? I used to hunt a lot of geese and I'd "pop" Mallard or Sprig that came in too quick to allow me to change loads. Higher birds may only get two number 2's into the boilerroom. The norm was they died, but would be a "sailer" more than not!

Yet the same type duck at identical yardage when getting five number 5's in the boilerroom would normally be DOA immediately in midair! The downrange combined pellet energy is almost the same as two 2's!!!! So what's the difference here??

Combined multiple hits create more shock to the bird. I don't know why; but I've seen it displayed many, many, times! Might make a good thread as the real hunters here know of what I speak.... I've never heard it explained only that many know it to be fact!

Meanwhile, let us know how happy you are with drop shot driven fast or slow!.... I'll bet you "drop" it!!!

Slidehammer
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:41 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Tin helps the glob become round and smooth as it falls, but adds very little hardness to the pellet.

Trace amounts of ansenic are added to enhance spherical forming of pellets not tin.

16gaugeguy wrote:
The antimony cools and becomes less dense which allows it to gravitate to the surface of the glob as it falls and hardens. This toughens the pellet by giving it a harder outer shell.

Lead antimony alloys are hard all the way through. With trace amounts of ansenic also in the alloy they can be "heat treated" however by quench. This heat treatment "softens" overtime and is not permenant.

16gaugeguy wrote:
7.5 and #8 shot have the highest percentage of antimony and also are the hardest pellets.

#7 shot size as well.

16gaugeguy wrote:
Tin is used because it also melts at a slightly higher temperature than lead and is a bit harder as well but its very close in both respects.

Pure tin melts at a lower temperature than pure lead! Lead/tin alloys melt at a lower temp than pure lead.

16gaugeguy wrote:
Anyway, that is just about all I know about this matter. Hope the info helps you. Good luck with your reloading.

Get it right GG

Slidehammer
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Wouldn't the range be a factor in the equation? It seems to me that dead soft shot might be useful for close range shooting in lower pressure, lower velocity loads. I've found that lighter than standard for gauge shot loads also have shorter shot columns. they often tend to produce higher core densities and less dense annular rings out at a given range. Set back damage also tends to be less if the pressure and velocity are moderate. I am theorizing that dead soft shot might help distribute the pattern more evenly at the closer ranges such a load is designed for. I've never had the opportunity to pattern or otherwise test any dead soft shot loads, so my theory is just that.

Your assumption that I've never patterned many shot loads is just that, and its wrong. I don't pattern loads much anymore. I've already developed enough useful load recipes over the years so it is not longer necessary for me to do so anymore. However, I'd be sure to if I were to work up a new load. That is common sense.

I'd also shoot test the load on targets before using it on game birds. I've found that patterning gives us only a narrow, one dimensional, and limited view of how well a load performs. Shot columns or strings are three dimensional and also involve the fourth dimension of time. Shoot testing loads at flying targets completes the picture. The observed results can overrule the information pattern testing provides.

I'd then go on to try the load on gamebirds under the conditions I'd expect to use it. How consistantly and how well the load kills the birds it is used on would be the deciding factor for me.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:26 am  Reply with quote

Slidehammer, thanks for the clarification! It's important for people to get accurate information.
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:58 am  Reply with quote

"Are there manuals of any sort out there about reloading?"

jbiss,

Many manuals available, the usual recommendation is "Lyman Shotshell Handbook", the latest is the 5th Edition.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/48451-1.html

Lots of recipes, and step by step instructions on the theory and practice of reloading for shotguns. You can pick up a Lee Load-All for ~ $45 in 16ga and get started with another $60 worth of components. MEC is a much better machine,,,, costs a bit more for a Jr. GET a manual first!

Cheers,
R*2

Last edited by Rrusse11 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:02 am  Reply with quote

GG,

I'd be pleased as punch if you did a comprehensive test of drop shot, chilled shot, and Magnum grade and post your findings with illustrations. It might be going over "old ground" again.... But it would be great to see a modern comparison with more modern ideas like shot column height as you mentioned... I'm serious, test and show us the pictures!

Slidehammer
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:39 am  Reply with quote

smashdn wrote:
If a body was want to produce some of their very own lead shot how high a shot tower would one need to make inorder to get approx. 4-5-6-7 size shot?

My biggest concern would be melting the lead on the top of the house without burning a hole in the roof. Laughing

smashdn,

Making shot from the shot tower dropping process, done correctly, is still probably the finest shot IMO.

BUT...... Getting set up isn't easy or cheap! The bigger the shot you make the farther it has to drop....

Even if you had a 3 story house you would fall far short!

I've attached a aerial photo of Peters Cart. Co. around the WW2 era..... The closest of the two very T A L L structures is the boiler house stack. The other tall structure just behind with the windows is/was Peters' shot tower.... This should give you an idea...

Slidehammer

Rrusse11
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:50 am  Reply with quote

http://www.cityofdubuque.org/index.aspx?NID=712
Very Happy

Last edited by Rrusse11 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:54 am  Reply with quote

In my reading 100 feet or more is mentioned as the tower height so we are talking about a average 10 story building.
smashdn
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:54 am  Reply with quote

When you say bigger, you do indeed mean bigger diameter shot and not larger number (6-7-Cool don't you?

I would have thought just the opposite that the smaller the shot produced the taller the shot tower would need to be. Could the height of the shot tower be simulated in the way that indoor sky diving is simulated or would it just blow hot lead all over the place?

when I get home form work I will try to dig up the copy of Backwoodsman that has the shot making in it. I want to say he was getting roughly 2 up to B sized shot but they were not uniform or round.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

It stands to reason that lager shot, BB, 2, 4 etc will cool slower because of the increased mass than smaller shot. 7 1/2, 8, or 9 and therefore would have to fall farther to form properly and solidify enough the retain it's shape when it lands in the water quench.
KolarDan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

That makes sense to me!