16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Here's one for you really old guys, W29934 Rem. wads
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

A friend gave me a partial cardboard box with about 100 or so Remington W29934 Power Piston 1 1/8 oz. wads.

Are there any loads for these wads or should I just keep them for memories of days gone by? I have been reloading since about 1971 and I have never seen wads come in a cardboard box, always in plastic bags. It looks like the box currently used for the 250 round flat.

Does anyone have a guess as to the age of this box and wads? I would have posted photos but I'm not sure how to do it.
huntNnut
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

W29934 are SP16's, they are the same as current manufactured SP16. The boxes were mid to late 1960's vintage.

The number is still printed on the case of SP16 wads. It is printed very small but it is there.

I am really not all that old just 48 on Saturday!!

It wasn't all that long ago.

Just another bit of trivia, Lyman First Edition Shotshell Reloading Manual, refers to the Remington Wads by this number. W29932 were/are the R16 wad.

The numbers are also noted on the Remington web site under Components.

Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

That was too easy. The next time I'll ask a really hard question, thank you huntNnut.
DDawg
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

Art, What do you mean "really" old guys? Now my buddy is a really old guy. He was born the same year I was. Dang, I am old enough to remeber when the plastic hulls replaced the paper hulls. I remember loading; or I should say, trying to load the fiber and card wads in the plastic hulls. I am sure some of the wads had at least 150 lbs of pressure on the to get them to seat. Now really, but it was a job to get the wads in those plastic hulls. I still have my chart that converts the old wad numbers to the new fangle ones. So, watch out who you are calling "really" old guys. LOL. If they are still flexiable they are good to use. Or the "box" and wads can be sold on ebay to the young whipper snappers that have never seen them before. I think I will keep mine and brag to my greatgrand kids, that I am a "really old guy". Thanks for the laughts. Take care. DD
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

DDawg, if you were around when Roosevelt was President then you qualify to be an old guy.

Teddy, not FDR.
DDawg
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:05 pm  Reply with quote

I think I resemble that comment!! LOL