16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Lyman 5th Edition Reloading Manual
huntNnut
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

I happened to be in the local gun shop today. I came across the latest 5th Ediiton of the Lyman Reloading Manual. Typical Lyman Manual with the usual articles explaining reloading, but the 16 Gauge Data is VERY LIMITED!!

If you want 16 gauge data, I would seriously consider another source. I have all the othe Lyman Shotshell Manuals, the only reason to buy this one is to keep the series complete.

jschultz
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

Reloading for Shotgunners, 5th addition by Rick Sapp has 8 pages of data and BPI's 16 gauge reloading manual has about the same. I've decided that it is not the number of recipes, but the quality of the loads that come out of my barrels. Very Happy
Jim
huntNnut
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

Hi jschultz,

I really don't like the BPI stuff at all, mostly because they are trying to shove their over priced components on you and selling snake oil right along with it. I bought their 16 gauge reloading manual once about 5 years ago. It went from the mail to the trash in about 5 minutes. Some of their loading data is very hot when you start comparing similar loads to the powder companies. BPI admits (the article was in Sporting Clays magazine maybe April or May 2009) that they use computer programs to figure out their reloading data. NO THANKS. I will take the info from the powder companies ballisticians and equipment over some half baked retired salesman and his laptop.

The Lyman loads (in previous editions) are actually tested properly and they have always fit and crimped properly. I was just disappointed in the amount of new information on the 16 gauge.

Who is Rick Sapp? Who did the testing for him? I would be very interested in a good source for new data.

bcpifish
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

IMO, the biggest problem with Lyman's 5th Ed. (other than the very limited number of load recipes) is that they list NO light (3/4 or 7/8 oz.) loads.

I really, really wish the powder companies would do some serious work on developing some lighter loads for the 16 ga.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne