16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Winchester game loads and 7/8 reload.
aabradley82
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Is it just me or do the winchester game loads kick worse than the rems/ Shot 2 rounds of 5 stand and boy did they light me up. Also tried some 7/8 (1200fps?) loads in a sportsman 48 and they wouldn't cycle. will increasing the speed make them work or save this gun for making hulls out of mean factory loads?
spr310
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

I've got two 11-48s and now a sportsman 48 that I just got this week. Both the 11-48's will cycle with my 7/8oz reloads. Don't know about the sportsman 48 as I just finished refinishing the wood today. I'm sure that when I get it all cleaned up it will cycle the 7/8oz loads. A little oil on the tube where the recoil spring rides will help. have you cleaned the action spring in the stock?
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:36 am  Reply with quote

I shoot a 7/8oz mid 1200fps reload that runs through my 48's all day long (when I get to go out and shoot).

When you say "wouldn't cycle" did they kick the bolt back and get hung up in the eject port? Or not even kick the bolt and just stay in the chamber?

I agree with what spr310 wrote, sometimes these 48's get gunked up and the bronze friction bearing in the barrel lug that slides on the mag tube mechanism needs some cleaning and very light lube. I use mineral spirits to clean and any good gun or sewing machine oil for lube. Also, the barrel has feet/tabs on either side of the outside of the chamber area that ride in slots/channels in the receiver. These also need some cleaning and oiling once in awhile. When you take the barrel off the feet are exposed and easy to clean and the slots are easilly reached with a Q-tip or the like.

If they are getting stuck in the chamber and the bolt is difficult to draw back; when you reload are the hulls difficult or take alot of energy to resize?

If the gun shoots and feels like it cycles but the hull stayed in the gun; you may want to look at the ejection cam or foot (obviously not certain of the name here) mounted in the back end of the barrel hood. Sometimes they wear down or break and don't kick the shell when it passes by. Also, the eject claw that rides in the bolt and pulls the hull out of the chamber may be gunked up and too stiff or the opposite too loose to do it's job.

Or, yes, maybe the shells just dont have enough energy to properly cycle the gun.

Hopefully this info helps get those reloads out of this 48, Mike

aabradley82
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:24 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I already gave the gun a once over cleaning but haven't tried it since. Didn't clean the spring in the butt stock yet. I'll let ya'll know.