16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Precision Reloading Data
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:03 am  Reply with quote

I called Precision today, to find out when the data I sent in would be ready. The woman that answered the phone said that the loads had been shot and that everyone would be contacted within a few days.

Yee-Haa!! DR16 here we go.

rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

Update,

I got a call from Keith from Precision Reloading. He let me know how the loads I sent him worked out. One was over max by 1000 PSI the other was a nice near max load. Both were over the 1400 FPS mark that I was trying for. and both seem like they have a future if you back them down a bit.

When I recieve the hard copy I will post the results, along with all the components.

JAE 16
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

Good to hear that we are finally getting data back from them!!! Were you trying for max for a base line and what powder????( if I may ask.)

Jason
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

JAE 16

Yes I was trying for Max. then I know where I can go with the next round of test loads.

The 2 Powders were American Select and Universal Clays.

I believe I messed up the American Select 3/4 loads, I was a bit optimistic. Laughing

JAE 16
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

Easy to do!!! Thanks again, can't wait to see the numbers.
Jason
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

Well, not sure I even want to share the load data sheets.

The 3/4 once load is super consistent but 1000 PSI over pressure.

The 7/8 ounce load is safe but really inconsistent.

Back to the drawing board. I will sort it out and give the results when I have good loads only.

kgb
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

Mark,

Did you send any of those loads with primers being the only differences?

Kirk
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Not yet,

I will change the primer on the 7/8 oz. load.

And back the powder charge off 1 1/2 gr. on the 3/4 oz. load

Before I send them back I will chronograph both just to be sure that they are both consistent.

Rrusse11
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

"When I receive the hard copy I will post the results, along with all the components."

C'mon Mark, let's see the results please, even if it didn't do what you expected. I've got a couple loads to send off to Precision, and I sure don't want to be duplicating what has gone before.
I've been running a lot of Clay Dot with the DR wad and 3/4oz, Green Dot with 7/8oz. Any data on these light loads in the 16ga will help us all in load development. They're great to shoot! Ran 200rds on Friday, if I hadn't run outa' shells, could've gone round the course again.
Cheers,
R*2
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

Rich,

I was using American Select and Universal with Federal 209A primers.

rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:46 am  Reply with quote

I was not going to let folks in on these loads as they aren't worth much but, Rich brought up a good point, no sense in somebody else sending in the same junk. Both are 5 shot strings.

THE FOLLOWING LOADS ARE JUNK - DO NOT USE!!!!

16 Gauge Cheddite Green Hull
Federal 209A
23.0 Grains Universal
DR-16 Wad
7/8 oz. #7 1/2 lead shot

FPS 1427 SD 36 EV 98
PSI 10,978 SD 1151 EV 3080

I am gonna leave all alone and substitue a Winchester Primer. Also a Federal hull and possibly a Remington but back down the powder by a grain or 2. This load may not ever really calm down, I have a feeling that 7/8 oz. of shot isn't what the Universal powder wants. The Remington hull may actually help this load. The big issues for me are it needs to be a LOT more consistent and it still has to operate my 1100.

CAUTION: OVER PRESSURE LOAD - DO NOT USE!!!!!

16 Gauge Cheddite Green Hull
Federal 209A
20.0 Grains American Select
DR-16 wad
3/4oz. #7 1/2 lead

FPS 1474 SD 4 EV 10
PSI 12,462 SD 300 EV 690

Just gonna take 1.5 grains of powder out of it. This is a great load, look at how nice and low the SD and EV figures are, breaks my heart that is it over pressure. This load will not operate my 1100., That is ok, it shoots great in my Model 37.

THE ABOVE LOADS ARE JUNK - DO NOT USE!!!!!

kgb
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:30 am  Reply with quote

I've wondered about pressures when it comes to cycling a gas gun, it seems the peak really isn't as important as some other aspect. Maybe these loads peak before the gas port and the velocity reduces the "area under the curve" that the port sees to where the gun doesn't cycle. A lower peak pressure that is maintained longer, or a load where the peak is a little further down the barrel and drops slower would (to me) seem needed but I don't recall seeing any test results on that. In general the suggestion is for heavier shot loads, but no specific cause is spelled out.

I'm big on American Select, look forward to one that'll work.

kgb
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:06 am  Reply with quote

Hello Mark :

I suspect that a change on the 21 gram load data in swaping out the Federal primer for a Cheddite or Winchester would do the trick but a reduction of .5 grain on the powder in combination with the primer swap will yield a wonderful load , the consistancy is the important point .

Your 24 gram load has the velocity but your right the consitancy leaves a lot to be desired but , it still meets factory criteria so considering that ??? Who knows some would be happy with it , I and yourself would not but others ??

I was thinking you might substitute a Fiocchi primer for the Federal and resubmit the test , it just might calm things down and make a good load ?? We have witnessed this in the past with many loads and it just might do the trick .

Regards Charles
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Nick,

On the 3/4 oz. load I want to leave the primer, taking a bit of powder out should leave it about 11,000 PSI and the velocity I believe will stay over 1400. It seems that American Select likes the Federal 209A primers as I have had great luck with this combo before.

The whole issue with Universal is cycling my 1100. The fast powders just won't cycle that gun. I have the same problems with it with Red Dot, Clays, , 700-X and the like, they just don't generate enough powder gas no matter what the pressure is for my 1100. I was hoping that Universal would work, but I think it is a bit slow for a light load. I have had good luck with Winchester primers and Universal. Fiocchi primers are almost impossible to find in these parts.

kgb - The whole issue is a combination of pressure and a certain volume of powder gas. The peak pressure is always well before the gas ports no matter what load you use. I have no idea how much gas volume or what that pressure must be.

I like American Select, really clean, really consistent. I am glad the 3/4oz. load is going to be a good one. Maybe I can get a 7/8 oz. load to work, you never know.

kgb
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, I got high pressures with Am Select in the Remington GL hulls, but in a 2.5" Winchester straight hull there is at least one good 7/8oz loading at 1100-1200fps using Gualandi wads plus a 3/4oz loading I like as well. I figure you'll get there soon, it'll be good to have the variety.

Kirk