16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  ITX & LPG
Redskin57
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

Hi: new to the group and have af couple of queations. I am an old reloader and a 16ga user for 50 years. I have 2 Win model 24s and a model 12.

Anyway a friend got me into duck hunting ( now I'm eaten up). Had to borrow a gun to shoot steel. I saw an ad for ITX and thought I can use my old faithfuls on them. How ever the load paper they sent only has about 10 load and each load calls for a different component. The only powder I can find around here is Longshot. I call to ask about different loads but the kid who answered could only quote the load sheet.

Since I don't load for skeet any more,just for hunting does the LPG have any ITX load data. I just want to know before spending more money.
Sorry to be long winded and Thanks

Redskin57
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

Btw I am not looking for free load data from the LPG. I just want to know if the information I need is there before I spend more money on this endever.

bdicki
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

There is info about one ITX tested load in a 67 mm Chedite hull using longshot powder.
PatrickB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

I only recall seeing a few LPG members who had ITX loads tested but not many and I don't think ITX loads are included in the spreadsheet. Someone might have more details but that is my observation.

Your other option - although more expensive than ITX - is Nice Shot.

Several of us are waiting on Bismuth shot orders through Lund Speciality Products. You might want to e-mail Phil Lund and inquire on current cost and available quantity. lundsspecialtyproducts@hotmail.com
Redskin57
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

Unfortunately I already bought 7lb of ITX . Maybe through the LPG I can get a couple of loads worked up. I have about 1000 AA 12ga and 200 16ga Fed and Ficcohi hulls. I was expecting an outfit like BP who's business is reloading supplies have more infomation than a few loads worked up but if you need something they get to you quickly. Anyway guess I'll be sending RWG a check.

Thanks guys

bdicki
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

ITX discussion. Not 16ga.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=186478
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:48 am  Reply with quote

Nice Shot is more expensive than ITX, (or about any other shot for that matter) but is also very close to the density of lead and delivers more energy to the target at extended ranges than ITX. Nice Shot can also be used using lead shot recipes with the caveat that it generates somewhat higher chamber pressure than an equivalent lead load (see the the Nice Shot web site reloading forum at http://ecotungsten-niceshot.blogspot.com/2007/11/reinventing-lead.html). I don't have any experience with ITX so I don't want to denigrate its performance. Others on this forum who have used ITX stated that it is similar in density to Bismuth and Hevi Shot Classic Doubles. I have successfully used Bismuth on ducks and geese, but prefer shot at least as dense as lead (Tungsten Matrix, Nice Shot, Hevi Shot, etc.).
Beltondogs
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

Guys,

I did extensive testing last summer and followed BPI's instructions to the tee. I loaded #4 with buffer, Multi metal wad (split x4) and the stuff patterned better then anything I've ever patterned. Yes, I'm not kidding. There are some South Dakota pheasants that would agree.

Randy

Hootch
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Beltondogs

Did you find that it patterned tighter than lead?

My patterns with ITX#6 have proven to be a tad less, tight which suprised my some. I have been using the Z-16 wad. I patterned number 6 lead right beside it, and it isn't a bunch, not a whole choke difference or anything like that, and I did not count pellets, I am just looking at pattern and it was noticeably "looser"

Not in bad way necessarily either. My patterns were at 24 yards.
I was satisfied. Have had some tested. I was using 7/8oz.
Beltondogs
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

I would agree that it patterned tighter then factory #4 lead, but I have never loaded lead with buffer and heavy wad and Mica lube......I don't think I would compare unless I did.

Randy