16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Shells for Reloading
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:20 am  Reply with quote

Another can of worms...

I'm not ready to reload, but need to purchase shells and am willing to pay more for shells that I will load another day. Because AA's are not available, I'm looking at B&P. I know there are less expensive shells out there, but if cost were not a concern, what would you professionals buy (with my money)?

Thanks in advance,

Reno

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:51 am  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
aabradley82
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:58 am  Reply with quote

+1 on what ShootingSouix said. the RGLs work great for lighter loads and the ched/feds/fiochis are better for heavies. that said I load lights in whatever I can scrounge up,j ust adjust the loader. The remingtons are probably the cheapest to buy(Wally-world,Bass pro, Dicks). When you start loading do not ever load an old Comp formed winchester, they only make you think new hulls are worthless.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:07 am  Reply with quote

What makes the most sense to me would be to concentrate on a load that maximises the gauge to my gun for the volume shooting. I rarely shoot over 100 clays in a day and I don't compete with anyone but myself. My dove fields though, are a different story. I often shoot more shells in a day there.

If my boys are going to have the opportunity that I had to shoot and hunt as I did as a kid, I will have to load my own to keep out of the poorhouse. My daughter is two and already has a 28 O/U waiting for her.

So, a target load that will dispatch a dove will be the ticket. Lighter the better, (3/4-1 oz.) I use an equal amount of 7.5's and 8's between two chokes and triggers.

Reno

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:15 am  Reply with quote

The Cheddite hull will do everything you need, with the proper wad choice.

KolarDan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

shootingsioux hit the nail on the head Exclamation Exclamation
bcpifish
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

Concur with shootingsouix.

I would add, however, that I think the Federal is the best reloading 16 ga. hull around. I like loading the Feds much better than the blue Fiocchi's or the Black Rem's. I seem to get much nicer crimps.

With 16 ga., a lot of your hull selection is based on availability. All to often 16 ga. shooters are relegated to simply buying whatever is available. Just one of the reasons why reloading is a practical necessity for us.

I've never tried to reload the B&P in 16 ga. My one experience with them in 12 ga. was a disaster. I could not get them to load or crimp well at all. I'd also say the same for the Estate in 20 ga. I have no idea to what extent, if any, that experience translates to those brand hulls in 16 ga.

Welcome to the forum and potential reloading. It's a lot of fun and a rewarding adjunct to your shooting.

Good luck.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
aabradley82
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

Since this thread is about hulls, does anybody else notice a difference in the feds vs the estates. i know they are the same but it seems the federals are thicker and a little cleaner made than the estates. has anybody noticed this or am I imagining things.
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Well, 4 Federal and 4 Estate 16 Gauge once fired hulls gave their lives to science tonight.

The verdict, the wall thickness on both average between .030 and .032 inches, over the ribbing. (You folks into metric that is .762 and .8128 mm.) The paperbase wad is the same and the capacity is the same.

The one difference is the Federal hulls are opaque and the Estates are a little on the transparent side. At least on the ones I have.

aabradley82
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Maybe thats what made me think the estates weren't as thick, I could see through the hull. I had wondered if the estates might be seconds or cheaper made. I don't discriminate between them when loading, just wonderd about appearances(kind of like red,green blue cheddites.) Thanks for the research and sacrifice of your hulls Rerun
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:46 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Dave Miles"]The Cheddite hull will do everything you need, with the proper wad choice.[/quote]

x2

ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:32 am  Reply with quote

Two Pipe, I was in your shoes about 2 years ago.

When faced with what can I purchase to shoot then reload I purchased Rem GL. I was also limited to shells i could find readily in Canada. The Rem GL's were great shooters, and they did a good job for reloading. Over time I have moved to the Cheddite hulls, and Rem Blacks sit in the corner.

If my goal was to build a supply for reloading, knowing what I know now I would have probably just gone directly to the Cheddite, and skipped usinging the Remingtons.

For me at least, the cheddite hulls seem to last longer, and crimp better.

Ajax.
huntNnut
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:11 am  Reply with quote

I agree, while I do use the Remingtons, they dont last very long and are probably the worst choice. The Cheddites are excellent. But my favorite is the Federal, it must be the color.

Of course the best of the best was the Winchester CF, I still have a couple hundred, but they are wearing out fast. They are just a tease anymore.

ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:49 am  Reply with quote

Two Pipe, I just rememebered...

http://www.sportingammo.com/

I bought some high speed steel from the guys above. They came in Cheddite hulls. Looking at their website they also produce lead / custom loads..... so it might be an alternative way to get your chedites shoot em, and then keep for reloading down the way.

I think the Winchester SuperX are also cheddites, but they really kick.

good luck.

AjaxFjr.
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:18 am  Reply with quote

rerundogchaser37 wrote:
Well, 4 Federal and 4 Estate 16 Gauge once fired hulls gave their lives to science tonight.

The verdict, the wall thickness on both average between .030 and .032 inches, over the ribbing.

DC,

By chance have you given us the Remington black hull wall thickness?

I have a tubing micrometer which is by far the best way to measure this. It is also non-distructive to the hull. Only if I need to get full depth does a hull have to be cut. All were measured behind any skiving if there was any.

I miked 4 each of 15 different lots of Federal/Estates (60 total) 1" deep into the hull and found the vast majority mic .022" to .023" wall thickness. The largest reading I found was .025".... Opposite across from it read .020" (hole not centered in tube)

4 lots of black Remingtons miked .030" to .034" wall. Most were out a couple thousandths around the circumference.

I cut a few Federal and black Remington to mic right next to the metal base and found the tube straight walled within a thousandth or two.... I rolled the plastic section out the opposite way on a mandrel (to flatten plastic) and then measured with a regular micrometer. Readings concurred with the tubing mic reading before cut was made.

I am confident that Federal's run .021"-.023" wall and black Remington's run .030" - .034" from a half hour of mic work on the various lots I had.

Hope this helps.

Slidehammer