16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Looking for Fiocchi GT recipe
Colt1917
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

I want to load 1 ounce lead into Fiocchi GT hulls with Win 209 primers and Universal Clays powder. Anybody have a recipe? I've got a ton of the DR16 wads but I'm going to get rid of them and focus on a good one ounce load for skeet. So the wad (which i'll have to procure) is the only real variable along with the amount of Universal.

Am I asking too much?
mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:57 am  Reply with quote

You may have a problem with 209 primers in a Fiocchi hull their primers are oversized. I always use the 616 primer in the Fiocchi hull. If you deprime a fiocchi hull and insert a 209 with you fingers you'll see what I mean.
spr310
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:21 am  Reply with quote

Here's a load, but I would use the fiochi primer unless you have the tool to resize the primer pocket.
Fiocchi 16 1 oz. Universal 21 WW 209 Rem SP-16 1291 9,300
top_cat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:33 am  Reply with quote

Fiocchi makes two primers.... The 615 & 616.

The 615 is euro-sized and is about .005 larger than a WW209. Used in an AA or Federal paper, the 615 will expand the primer pocket to the point that a WW209 can be seated by hand. Sometimes a WW209 will fall out of the primer pocket.

Th616 is american-sized and is about .001 larger than a WW209. You can
interchange Fiocchi 616 and WW209 in the same hulls and not encounter difficulties due to primer size. Of course the two are not interchangeable (they are close) in the same load.

The WW209 has a taper to allow easier seating in a reloaded hull whereas the Fiocchi 616 does not. This causes higher initial resistance in the part of the 616 when seating - something that may or may not be detectable depending on the loading press being used. I can sense it on my 600jr, but cannot sense it on my RCBS Grand.

Tom
RLR390
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:27 am  Reply with quote

My experience has been that the 616 opens the primer hole and a 209 will fall out in many cases.
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:52 am  Reply with quote

I have been using a 1 ounce shot, 19+ grains Universal Clays, Ballistic Products sportiing 16 wads and Win 209 in Fiocchi hulls with good success on targets for quite some time now. This load could use some filler in the shot to get a really good crimp and the Win 209 primers fit loosely in the pocket on occasion but even the ugly crimp and primers set by hand have never seemed to detract from the performance of these loads on the target range. Of course if you intend to carry these loads in the pocket of a hunting coat all day you should probably "condition" the primer pocket with a tool made for it for a snug fit and experiment with the proper filler(s) to get a good crimp.

The recoil is light enough to require that some model 11s (maybe A5s or sweet 16s also) have the spacer rings set in the light load position. This load breaks clays nicely but does leave more unburnt powder residue in the barrel and action than most loads IMHO.