16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1 1/4 wads
spr310
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:43 am  Reply with quote

The old activ wads 1628 1632 are now cheddites. The gualandi 1 oz wad is the same as BPI's SG16. Bpi's Z-16 is a Baschieri and Pellagri TUWZ2M16.
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:09 am  Reply with quote

spr310...I don't know if you are a member of the LPG, but the new data file has a section that refers to the G28 as the SG16 (in the wad identification page). I think this is incorrect, and if so, how do we get the LPG to correct this?

Perhaps this is not the correct place to ask, as the LPG is a seperate entity. But, I know a lot of us belong to the LPG.
spr310
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

The BPI SG 16 is a Gualandi wad. If you go to Precision reloading's site you can see the picture of the wad. Also the SG16 wad even has Gualandi written in the cup. Also see the Band P wads. You can see that there 16 gauge wad is the Z16 wad of BPI. Also Grafs and sons has the cheddite wads. You can see by the picture that they are the same as the old activ wad. Close to the B & P wad, but a different base. On the speadsheet on my websites I have the wads cross referenced. I think I will also post some pictures of the different wads.

I posted pictures of the wads in the components section of the spreadsheet that you can link to on my website.
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:15 am  Reply with quote

bowbuilder wrote:
spr310...I don't know if you are a member of the LPG, but the new data file has a section that refers to the G28 as the SG16 (in the wad identification page). I think this is incorrect, and if so, how do we get the LPG to correct this?

Perhaps this is not the correct place to ask, as the LPG is a seperate entity. But, I know a lot of us belong to the LPG.

There is indeed confusion here and a problem that needs clarified in LPG's data.

Perhaps the Gualandi wad was used during load development and in that case should be listed as such. To say the wad is the same as the Active wad or Cheddite wad is fine..... IF CORRECT.

Does anyone have some of the 16ga Active wads (either 28 or 32) still in the Active bag??? This may clarify this if that poster would post, with picures, the actual Active product.

Please post "bag" pictures of the Active wads if you have them!

Thanks, Slidehammer
mike campbell
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:36 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
spr310
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

mike campbell wrote:
Some of this has been discussed before...

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=28531&highlight=#28531

I consider these 3 identical. I've never been in a position where I felt I could appreciate the difference between the "tabs" and "fingers/pins".

That is not an activ wad in front of the activ sign. If you look in Lymans 4th edition you can see a picture of the activ wads.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
spr310
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Images deleted

Last edited by spr310 on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Citori_16
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:45 am  Reply with quote

SPR310,

Where is that information that you scaned on the Active wads from? I'm curious?
spr310
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

Citori_16 wrote:
SPR310,

Where is that information that you scaned on the Active wads from? I'm curious?

That was from Lymans 4th. I will try tomorrow to dig out some more of the older manuals. When I quit reloading I put everything in boxes and they are out in one of my sheds. I don't understand what is so hard about telling the difference between the gualandi wads from the activ and the cheddites. If they want to call the gualandi wad the activ wad it's okay with me. Apparantly that was from BPI. I wouldn't trust to much from BPI after trying a couple of their loads.
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:01 am  Reply with quote

spr310 wrote:
I don't understand what is so hard about telling the difference between the gualandi wads from the activ and the cheddites. If they want to call the gualandi wad the activ wad it's okay with me. Apparantly that was from BPI. I wouldn't trust to much from BPI after trying a couple of their loads.

Well...... Isn't this a can of worms!

Lyman's Shotshell Reloading Handbook #4 definitely is describing the current "Cheddite" available wads in their listing of the Activ G-28 and G-32. Right down to the depth of slits in the shotcup being the same!

Some thoughts.......

I would believe Lyman correct before I would BPI.

Is it possible that both Gualandi and Cheddite wads were used by Activ?... Within different time periods perhaps? You would think Activ would change the number designation if that was the case...

Is it possible the dimwits at BPI just "bagged up" Gualandi's as they "fit" the same as the Cheddite? This would be a bad thing!

I have used both wads and ballistics are not the same for me.....

Slidehammer
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:28 am  Reply with quote

I got a sample bag the new WW16AA clone from Claybuster last spring. The shot cup turns out to be even deeper and roomier than the SP16 wad shot cup.

The Claybuster's OAL is longer, but I think the wad can be shortened by trimming away the center and using solid card wads between the shot cup and the base for some superior 1-1/4 ounce loads. This will require a careful approach and some thorough testing, but it is one possibility.

I also have some of the old 1-1/8/1-1/4 ounce 16 ga Herter's wads on hand. We discussed these wads last spring. They work well unmodified for my 1-1/4 ounce shot loads in a Fiocchi hull with plenty of room for a safe charge of Blue Dot and a good folded crimp.

I won't offer my data since it is not published, and the wads are not made anymore. I also advise using such a potent load only in a stout, modern shot gun. They are not for older SxS guns or pre-WWII vintage repeaters either. The recoil alone might prove too much for old wood. Any 1 -1/4 ounce load out of a 7 pound or lighter shot gun is going to have an effect at both ends. If anyone is recoil sensitive, look elsewhere. They ain't for you.

I advise anyone interested to proceed with caution. This is advanced reloading for the experienced. Newbies need to stick with safe published data for a while. Choose a strong once fired hull from among the roomiest ones available. (The Fiocchi 2-3/4 inch hull is a good candidate.) Pick only from the slowest powders known to be safe enough for use in a baby magnum 16 ga load (I picked Blue Dot, because I'm familiar with it and have used it safely and successfully in published 1-1/4 ounce loads). Reduce the powder charge to well below what has proven safe and has worked in a similar published load. Work the charge up slowly and carefully from a safely reduced starting point, and have the loads pressure tested along the way to see how it's going.
wildlew
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:42 am  Reply with quote

Here are my pics of my G-28, bag and info book

Last edited by wildlew on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
wildlew
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:43 am  Reply with quote

well i guess i don't know how to post pics
If anybody would like i will Email
spr310
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:51 am  Reply with quote

Here's one of wildlews pictures. Apparently I was wrong. The activ wad in this picture looks like the Gualandi wad. They don't even have the G32 shown so I quess what was sold at Herters years ago was wrong. I know Activ changed hands once or twice. The Activ hull was one of the best for a 1 1/4oz load because of it's capacity. If you still have some of the Activ hulls and want to load 1 1/8oz loads or 1 1/4oz you'll have to use the Rem SP16. Probably a loose fit, but oh well. I had some Activ hulls but they all went to the recycle bin. Had a couple split on me while shooting at some clay pigeons. The Cheddite wads still look like the Activ G32, but I'm not sure anymore.
[img] [/img]