16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Tales of the Square Load
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:04 am  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
KolarDan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:16 am  Reply with quote

I will look at home for the article that was in Shotgun Sports I believe a few years ago.

A "Square Load" has nothing to do with the height of the shot column. But rather "The Length of The Shot Column" in relation to the bore diameter.

This is what m,akes the 16 and 28 bores superior in performance taking into consideration the reduced bore size and less payload deficiencies.

Hopefully, I can find the article (which was written by a ballistician). If and when I find it, I will post it on this site. Wink

To make a long story short, the 16 bore's shot column length is shorter in relation to the bore diameter, than say a 12 Ga.
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

Slide,

We have had our head to heads and gotten over them. We are normally in more or less agreement but...

I don't understand why you insist that you can get perfectly symetrical pellet coverage past 25 yards or so.

Take a 1 1/8 oz. load of #6 shot, that is 253 pellets. and evenly distribute them between the 2 areas(21.2" core and the 21.2 to 30" outer ring) in a 30" circle for a 90% pattern at 40 yards. That leaves 228 pellets. Then divide that in 2, and put 114 pellets into each area. Not good my friend.

rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

KD

I really hope you are joking.

....Kinda like the phone pole laying on the ground one guy goes to measure it and the other guy says I don't wnat to know how long it is I want to know how tall it is...

top_cat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

You guys are all full of hooey!! A square load is when the fit of the gun is square on your shoulder - then you will experience less FELT RECOIL.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

Whew !!!!!! All YEA ALL need to go shoot a bird .

Next Wednesday I leave for Canada , come go along !!!!!!!!!

Regards , Charles
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

.650 X .650 is my load .

Best Regards , Charles
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

Nick,

I didn't know that you drank.

In fact I am pretty sure that you never drink. Only those with beer goggles can get in on this thread. Fuzzy math only applies to folks with beer goggles, hence you are out of here.

The only part the even allows you to be here is that your load can't be .650 X .650, because the wall thickness of the petals on your wad is too thick to make your 3/4 oz. load .650. So basically your statement is a load of horse manure which in itself gets you into the Squareload BS Artist of America Club.

I will be sending out invitations to join this new club, on the first of last year, for this year going backward, but inclusive of the rest of your life for the UNBELIEVABLY low price of, you got it $19.95. Here's how to order!!

rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

Yes

I AM BORED, CAN'T HUNT NOTHIN' IN CT UNTIL OCTOBER. THE SPORTING CLAYS SHOOT ISN'T UNTIL THIS SUNDAY.

THEN NICK COMES IN HERE ASKING TO GO ON A HUNT THAT I CAN'T POSSIBLY GO ON AND TONY STARTS THIS RIDICULOUS SQUARELOAD NONSENSE.

DOGGONE IS IT FRUSTRATING TO HAVE A 16 GAUGE SHOTGUN AND PLENTY OF AMMO AND NOTHING TO SHOOT AT FOR 3 DAYS.

Ok, I feel better now.

This is for real, I got this dumba** neighbor that raises pigeons. I don't mean a dozen, he has got about 5 dozen. He releases these birds and they fly directly over my yard.

That my friends is frustration.

Anybody got some load data for a squareload with mufflers?

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:55 am  Reply with quote

I thought you might catch that Mark , but you know what it truly is not very far off the mark of those measurments for the loads that I do shoot , due to not being able to cut pellets in half in the mill I just cannot get em to come out square , so yep your right I will have to settle on .585 X .647 loads when you count the wad .

Folks the ONLY REASON WE SHOULD RELOAD is to match the timing of the load to our shooting ( but in the case of the 16ga it is to have somthing to shoot ) for those that dont understand what this means .

You have to find a load that places an adiquate ( boy miss spelled that but have not the time to look it up ) amount of shot on the target within the shot string to match YOUR TIMING NOT ANYONE ELSES .

We have holes in shot strings that a dog can be thrown thru and places that it is very tight with pellets that is the location with in the shot swarm that your looking to place on the target , patterning on paper simply will never show you this you have to shoot flying targets to find this out ( ie ; clay birds ) before we go out plowing through the brush in search of game and wonder what went wrong when we find it .

As far as to Square loads , well all loads have holes in the pattern in flight you just have to find less of em to hit where your looking when you shoot a shotgun and find the spots that has more pellets to hit where your looking BY MATCHING THE LOAD TO MATCH YOUR TIMING .

I have just found the more compact loads to have less pockets of no pellets hence they are easier to hit a target harder with , no more no less .

Carry on , I have to go .

Regards , Charles

PS I hope I got this saying said right for I am in a hurry and have not re read it . Whew .
robp
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:24 am  Reply with quote

Short shot string was figured out but winchester 60+ years ago
KolarDan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:58 am  Reply with quote

rerundogchaser37 wrote:
KD

I really hope you are joking.

....Kinda like the phone pole laying on the ground one guy goes to measure it and the other guy says I don't wnat to know how long it is I want to know how tall it is...

rc,

I don't write the articles -- just read'em. This particular ballistician concludes that the 1 oz. 16 Ga. short shot column will put more bb's on the target simultaneously than will a similar load in the 12 bore. Is he correct? Hell if I know? I'm not a ballistican, but I will say this "I have had as much success in clays and/or real birds with the 1 ounce 16 than I have say a 12 Ga. with a 1-1/8 ounce payload. Is it short shot column length or is it recoil or is it both Question Question Who knows Question
Samuel_Hoggson
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:02 am  Reply with quote

rerundogchaser37 wrote:

This is for real, I got this dumba** neighbor that raises pigeons. I don't mean a dozen, he has got about 5 dozen. He releases these birds and they fly directly over my yard.

That my friends is frustration.

Anybody got some load data for a squareload with mufflers?

Not square load data, but you need one of these:

http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/Gunroom/SG_Hushpower.htm

Sam

Slidehammer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:05 am  Reply with quote

rerundogchaser37 wrote:
I don't understand why you insist that you can get perfectly symetrical pellet coverage past 25 yards or so.

Well DC, I think we have an agreement that 1 1/8oz of 6's at 40 yards, even with a 90% pattern is somewhat sparse....

Let's look at your example in some detail though... 228 #6 pellets in our 30" circle.
You come up with 114 and 114 pellets in the 20" core (I'm disregarding your area balancing act) an annular ring and think it horrible. OK.... let's try and visualize this.

Let's take your highly toted 1.7 to 1 aspect ratio for a moment.... Now we can calculate that our "core shooter" pattern displays 143 #6 pellets inside the 20" and the remaining 85 #6 in the annular ring. Sounds like a vast improvement doesn't it??

Let's look in a more visual friendly way at this using area. The 30" circle has an area of 707 sq. in. The 20" circle has an area of 314 sq. in.
The perfect distribution (yeah, I've never seen it perfect, just better!) of our 228 #6 pellets in 30" yields one pellet in every 3.1 sq. in. Your "core shooter" 1.7 to 1 yields one pellet every 2.2 sq. in. in the 20" core and one pellet in every 4.7 sq. in. of the annular ring. To further enhance this visually.... suppose were could project a grid of squares over our pattern? We would see a pellet inside a 1.5" square throughout the 20" core using the 1.7 to 1 load. The annular ring would have a pellet inside a 2 3/16" square.
The 30" even distributed pattern would require a 1.75" projected square per pellet. When you look at your core at 1.5" to even distribution at 1.75".... we're talking peanuts.

Even your "tight" 2.2 sq. in. core distribution will only (theoretically) put one #6 pellet into the infamous pheasant head shot area at 40 yards if we figure the "kill" zone at 5/8" x 3 1/2"!!!!

Almost all core shooting loads tend to cluster shot within the core in my experience. This can make for dramatic kills at times, if you "cluster" a bird; but it isn't a repeatable tool. We know the peripheral edges of our pattern (last couple of inches) are never really even or distributed well with shot either.

With all this info then!....... I would say my goal very simplified is to "break up the core clusters" for better distribution and to "rein in" some annular ring pellets so I have in affect a bigger useable working area with very little loss of density as far as distribution. It doesn't come easy either!

Slidehammer