16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Which scale to buy
mc15426378
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:11 am  Reply with quote

I have decided to try reloading . Have never reloaded anything. A scale will be needed and I'd like thoughts on which to purchase?

Thanks for the info.

Mike
ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:30 am  Reply with quote

Mike, I just have an expensive balance scale, I got it from Ebay, with a couple of check weights. It has served me well.
This is not the one I have, but it looks similar.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25215/catid/7/Dillon__039_s___039_Eliminator__039__Scale

Good luck. AjaxFjr.
megafatcat
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:59 am  Reply with quote

An inexpensive scale is fine. Use the savings to buy a set of weights to calibrate it. I use a RCBS 505 beam scale.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:07 am  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:11 am  Reply with quote

mc,
Balance beams are the way to go IMO, gravity works ALL the time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lyman-Acculine-Powder-Measure-Shell-Reloading-Scale_W0QQitemZ160364286973QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item255674d3fd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
This will cover anything you need to do with shotshell reloading.
Cheers,
R*2
robp
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:30 am  Reply with quote

I have a pact - I have it on a big solid bench and it needs to be re-calibrated every session it is used.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

I have an Ohaus 505 that I've been using since I started reloading 36 years ago. This is the same scale now sold as the RCBS 505. It's been dead nuts reliable for the entire 36 years and I highly recommend it.

I almost bought an electronic scale when they came out many years ago but I researched them first and never got a good feeling about their reliability. Over on Shotgun World in the Reloading forum there is now a thread about electronic scales and the "solution" for the unreliable readings is to warm the scale up for at least one hour before using it. That's just BS - when I want to reload I just go in the basement and start, it's not a planned event. When shotshell reloading a slow scale is not a big deal because you only weigh the first few charges when you begin a reloading session or when changing loads. I vote for reliable over speed every time. As a previous poster noted "gravity works ALL the time".
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

I have both an RCBS 505 and a Denver Instruments Accurate Load lV. The electronic NEVER gets shut off(it is made to stay on). It has been on since 1996. The RCBS, is I don't know how old, it still has the Ohaus name on it along with the RCBS trademark, 1975 or '76 I think.

I use both. Neither have ever given me any trouble. The electronic is faster. The RCBS is simpler. The electronic was a LOT more expensive.

I have used other electronic scales and they weren't much to be honest. It takes too long for them to stop drifting. If you could leave them on, they might be OK.

My advice, unless you want to by a top of the line electronic scale, that you never shut off(so it stays drift free), buy a good balance scale. Make sure to buy a set of calibration weights to verify scale accuracy, no matter which you buy.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

I use a RCBS Powder Pro and it does ok. I have to zero it fairly often (not calibrate) and I don't use it anywhere it can catch a draft. Check it off and on with a balance beam scale.

Matt
ars1876
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:29 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Ohaus 505 that i bought in the early 1970's and it still works fine.i used it this morning when i opened a new 4 pound jug of "Unique" which I use in my favorite .16 load.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:06 am  Reply with quote

I have both types: A Lyman-Ohaus M-5 balance beam I've owned for 38 years and a Dillon Precision D-terminator electronic load cell scale I've owned for more than 10 years. Both will do the job at hand. But I haven't used the balance beam since I fell in love with the Dillon. As I got older, I appreciated the BIG digital numerals on the Dillon...a whole lot easier to see than which notch the 3 poise are in on the Ohaus. I find the Dillon really shines when tare checking shotshell powder and shot weights; especially because I have the popular adjustable powder and shot bars. So checking isn't a once and done deal...it needs done over and over, working up to your target weights. The Dillon's big platen and 1200gr capacity make it a pleasure to work with, along with the tare feature. Why? Because you weigh the whole shotshell. You can't do that with the balance beam...each powder or shot charge must be dumped into the pan and then hung on that hook. Not a problem with shot BB's, but sometimes flakes of powder static cling to the inside of our plastic hulls...thus not giving good weighing accuracy. Then you have to tap the open hull mouth on your reload bench, scrape up the recalcitrant powder and get it on the pan where it belongs.

So, if you're short on funds, a balance beam scale will suffice. But I found using one a real PITA. I'll wager you will too. As someone said, it's the 21st century; why use a 15th century tool? Only one reason--price.

mc15426378
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:52 am  Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the info. I'll go with the Dillon digital. My eyes need all the help they can get & I hate reading glasses. Laughing

Mike
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Mike, I wasn't exactly pushing Dillon's scale; just load cells in general. In fact, you can't buy the D-terminator I have. It was the very first model Dillon offered for sale and was dropped years ago. So I cannot vouch for their current scale. Although I have never heard bad reviews of it. And Dillon's no BS warranty has not changed. I just looked over their product page: http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25213/catid/7/D_Terminator_Electronic_Scale Two changes I see compared to mine. A check weight is now included, and the max weight is now only 900 grains, which should still be plenty enough capacity. Even 1200 grain capacity isn't enough to weigh one of my 10ga magnum 2.25oz turkey loads! Here is the product page of CED who makes Dillon's current model: http://www.cedhk.com/show.php/Object483 And last but not least, the latest instruction page: http://www.brianenos.com/dnld/dillon/d-terminator_scale.pdf That should give you enough to make an informed buying decision.