16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Shell reducers
powderburn
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:39 am  Reply with quote

Asked this question as a response to another thread but didn't get any answer so I'll try again here. Do any of you know of any literature showing the effect on chamber pressures of using shell reducers such as chambermates ? I would think that given the lose seal of shooting a 20 ga shell in a 12ga borre the pressure would be reduced significantly. Thanks

rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:54 am  Reply with quote

The chambers of any tube set (Chambermates included), are made to SAAMI guidelines. There will be no significant difference in chamber pressure between a shotgun with a tube set installed or a shotgun with no tubes. The design of the tube set either loose or tight in a specific barrel(s) also has no real affect on chamber pressure of a certain cartridge.

The peak chamber pressure is created within the first inch or so of travel of the ejecta. While pressure and velocity are affected once the ejecta has cleared the Chambermate, that initial pressure spike still happens.

I hope this helps.

powderburn
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:10 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, I kind of figured the actual chamber presure would be the same but as far as barrel pressure I wonder how much impact that has . While I am not advocating this would using a steel reducer and firing a 20 ga shell in a 12 ga damascus barrel contain the chamber pressure via the steel reducer and reduce the barrel pressure to a point where the gun could be used w/o splitting/damaging the barrel.

rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:35 am  Reply with quote

For the actual barrel pressures, maybe some of the more mathematically gifted members could help you with that. You have to be able to calculate expansion ratios of the various powders and then figure the addition volume of the barrel. Shocked Confused Confused Confused

I don't have a clue on how to figure that out. Laughing

wildlew
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:46 am  Reply with quote

powderburn saw this on Gaugemates web site ( note not Chambermates )

www.gaugemate.com/docs/ballisticstests.pdf
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:14 am  Reply with quote

Nice link,

I am not much for strain gauge readings without reference loads, but in this case, that is probably as close as you can get, to the real numbers. They seem in the ballpark.