16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  MOST CONSISTENT DROP
Irish Jack
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

Was wondering what everyone's opinion was on the univerisal charge bar vs the standard mec bars?

I have been using the universal for some time now and have in broke-in to the loader,( everything working extra smooth) but I recently picked up a twist barrel gun and have been weighing a little more than before.

Am I over thinking this, or is the standard MEC bar a little better?

THANKS BRUCE
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

Both style bars work just fine. I have been using MultiScale Bars for 15 or so years now with no complaints. Normally I get +/- 0.1 grain drops. I have used the MEC bars with the same accuracy. The only reason I use the MultiScale is I don't like the gaps between the powder bushings. When I want 18.0 grains, I don't want 17.7 or 18.2. Just me being a PITA Embarassed

It is up to you which bar you like the best. I also use a powder baffle with most powders.

Irish Jack
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

On the powder side every thing is great, only diff. is in how machine is cycled ( bounce it around a bit and charge will raise tenth/grain)

I was more concerned on the shot drop, Ihave read and reread the inst. sheet and even called multi-scale, but I'm not convinced that on a small drop (7/8oz) that it is as consistent.

BRUCE
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

Jack,

Be sure to get rid of the round rubber grommet in the shot side of the measure assembly. MEC sometimes puts one on the shot side, but it doesn't belong there and messes up the shot drop. Other than that I don't know of shot drop problems with either bar style.

I shoot a lot of 7/8oz. loads in my 12 gauge, it drops to within +/- 3 grs or so. That is only 3 to 4 pellets high to low with #7 1/2. Not sure about shot sizes larger than #5.

Tijeras_Slim
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:40 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Be sure to get rid of the round rubber grommet in the shot side of the measure assembly.

Great info. I recently picked up a used 9000 with a multiscale that had low mileage. I checked it over and it does have the grommet on the shot side, and occasionally throws a half charge or no shot. I'll pull that out and see what happens.

Could be why the previous owner got rid of it.

Thanks RRDC37.
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:47 am  Reply with quote

TS

The other issue with MultiScale Bars in MEC progressives is this. When replacing the MEC bar with the MultiScale, you have to adjust the bar acuator. There is a nut on the acuator rod that must be adjusted (the rod that hangs down on the right hand side of the machine), so that the screw that holds the MultiScale bar in just touches the measure assembly when the operating handle is at the very bottom of the downstroke.

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:59 am  Reply with quote

I've been using the multiscale bar on 2 Mec single stage loaders for decades. Two thumbs up Exclamation

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:18 am  Reply with quote

Mec puts the grommet there to help prevent any pellet deformity or shearing and to keep the pellets from sticking the bar and/or jamming the machine. It definately helps things along when loading bigger hunting size pellets.

I've never seen that much difference in shot drops for my target ammo. My Grabbers definately cycle more smoothly and consistantly overall with the grommet right where it is supposed to be. I reorient the grommets as they wear and replace any badly worn ones as recommended.

I use baffles with spring loaded drop tubes on the powder side, so the grommet is not needed there. I use the coned brass washer to help prevent powder leakage if it becomes a problem.
Tijeras_Slim
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:42 am  Reply with quote

I'll check the actuator rod, that might be part of the problem too. I can do that first without pulling the shot bottle.

16GG, thumbs up on the powder baffle. I use one on every MEC I have, it's a life saver on the .410 loading WW296.
Irish Jack
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:59 am  Reply with quote

Well to up date; got the bar ajusted to where I wanted it, and before going to town on a couple boxes I took a small jewlers screw driver and a straight edge and made a light scratch across the top of the bar so I could have a an indicator without having to stop and weigh, and I found that It did move slightly after one box.

Also as stated above; after removing the rubber gromet I did have some problem with jamming with the pellets..........replaced that and things are traveling smooth again.

The only thing I don't have in place is the set screws, but the person at MULTSCALE said that should have nothing to do with it.

It seams that most have good luck with this product but thats the way it is for me if there is one bad one I'll get it.

I think what i'm going to do is take it to the shop and make my own set screw that locks the travel of the chambers ........rather than the turning of the dials. In my mind that is what needs to be done to NOT depend on haveing no slop in the threads and movement of any kind.

This may seem over the top to those that have had good luck, but what bothered me was that I had not changed powder lots shot size or brands and had not been messing with the dials.

I like the idea of the universal bar and it does slide very nice in the machine.......... we will see if I inprove it or if it's in the trash in the end.

Anyone suffering from LOW blood pressure ,give multi-scale a call @905-566-1255.......... Very Happy
ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:00 am  Reply with quote

TS, in this following post Mark patiently walks me through the ajustment of the Actuator.... maybe more detail than you need, but it sure helped me.

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8080&highlight=

AjaxFjr.
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

I will only say this once, and then I will leave it alone.

There shouldn't be a rubber grommet in the shot side of the measure assembly on a MEC reloader unless you are using the old style bar without the rubber insert.

Don't have to believe me just look in the MEC instructions for the Sizemaster and 8567 Grabber. On the 9000 series reloaders, a grommet is indicated, however when you look farther into the manual you will see that MEC shows a picture of one grommet under the powder side and instructions about the newer style bar with the rubber insert. The rubber insert is there to stop the shearing of shot. I am also assuming that all the bars we are talking about both MEC and MultiScale have the rubber insert in them. The MultiScale comes with 3 different inserts, you should be using the softest insert, if not than you probably will need a rubber grommet in the shot side.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:56 am  Reply with quote

You are right Mark. The new bars have a white rubber insert one one side of the shot measure to protect the shot and ease the bar travel. The old plain bars without the insert do need the black rubber grommet under the shot bottle. Mec still provides them if anyone needs them.

Most of my Grabbers and bars are the old 76 or 761 series without a bar insert. I also have a couple of new ones including my 16 ga model. It can get a bit confusing because of the design changes over the years. There are thousands of 76 and 761 series machines still in use. Hopefully,we have cleared the matter up for the folks now.
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

Yup GG,

That's why I went back and cleared up my first expanation. I did leave the waters a little muddy.

Thanks for the back-up!!