16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 Gauge Low Pressure Reloading Group
16ga.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:33 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin
Site Admin

27feb06

This is long overdue, but we are pleased to recommend the Reloading Group to any 16ga. Society Member, or guest, for that matter, who seeks more information about the data related to loading for our 16ga. guns.

The group, headed by Russ Gray in Ohio, has tested and published a wealth of information regarding reloads appropriate for any 16ga. gun, regardless of age or game sought. They charge only $20 to cover their testing costs, and it is well worth it.

If you reload now or are thinking about it, you should contact Russ. He is a member of The 16ga. Society and available on this Forum by the Username of RWG. Find a post and send him a PM, he will surely hook you up.

Onward and upward, --16ga.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,this is twenty dollars VERY well invested by any reloader of the might 16 ga.You will not be dissapointed in any way.The only way to miss out is by not joining.I am a veteran reloader and find this site to be a wealth of information.It is possible to teach a old dog new tricks.Do yourself a favor and join our group.
RWG
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the announcement. I would just like to add that the 16 ga. reloading group is a membership effort. As a group we develop, test and share lower to moderate pressure 16 ga. loads for use at clays and in the field. We do not sell reloading data. Nor is this a "for profit" operation. We welcome new members into our ranks daily. New members bring new ideas, wants and needs which motivates the group develop and test new recipes. We all benefit from the combined efforts of the membership. We look forward to welcoming more new members in the future. Thanks again. Russ
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:02 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the invite..one question, why only low to moderate pressure loads??? It seems with newer powders being developed all the time, some very good high velocity loads can also be developed for the 16 or is not the intent here??? Just curious thanks for any replies.
Bobshouse
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:49 am  Reply with quote

Do you accept Paypal?

Bob
RWG
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:59 pm  Reply with quote

16GAwaterfowler wrote:
Thanks for the invite..one question, why only low to moderate pressure loads??? It seems with newer powders being developed all the time, some very good high velocity loads can also be developed for the 16 or is not the intent here??? Just curious thanks for any replies.

Some members of our group have developed high velocity loads of moderate pressure. But that is not our group's focus. Longshot is a good powder for hyper velocity loads. I, for one, believe you get better patterns from lower pressure moderate velocity loads than the hyper stuff. High velocity (over 1250 fps) is just overkill in most applications. Just more recoil and blown patterns. But that's just my opinion. Russ
RWG
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:59 pm  Reply with quote

Bobshouse wrote:
Do you accept Paypal?

Bob

yes
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:41 am  Reply with quote

RWG wrote:
16GAwaterfowler wrote:

Some members of our group have developed high velocity loads of moderate pressure. But that is not our group's focus. Longshot is a good powder for hyper velocity loads. I, for one, believe you get better patterns from lower pressure moderate velocity loads than the hyper stuff. High velocity (over 1250 fps) is just overkill in most applications. Just more recoil and blown patterns. But that's just my opinion. Russ

Longshot is one powder we have conducted tests on in 3 different gauge's with hyper velocity loads. In 10, 12 and 16 ga loadings it does not blow patterns even at very high speeds. I ran some of the 1500 fps 16 ga Longshot loads over the chrono at the range and got very close to listed velocities.I also patterned many of these same loads at the range and get excellent patterns out to 45 yards with them.
I know where you are coming from about the low pressure loadings however modern firearms should take advantage of modern powders and components, what few we do have for the 16 ga.
I use mine for duck hunting with both steel and Hevishot, to know the joy of using a 16 on ducks again is really great. I don't think shooting big mallards with 1550 fps steel and having them fall down like you hit them with lead is overkill. Anyway thanks for the response.
RWG
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:28 am  Reply with quote

16GAwaterfowler wrote:
RWG wrote:
16GAwaterfowler wrote:

Longshot is one powder we have conducted tests on in 3 different gauge's with hyper velocity loads. In 10, 12 and 16 ga loadings it does not blow patterns even at very high speeds. I ran some of the 1500 fps 16 ga Longshot loads over the chrono at the range and got very close to listed velocities.I also patterned many of these same loads at the range and get excellent patterns out to 45 yards with them.
I know where you are coming from about the low pressure loadings however modern firearms should take advantage of modern powders and components, what few we do have for the 16 ga.
I use mine for duck hunting with both steel and Hevishot, to know the joy of using a 16 on ducks again is really great. I don't think shooting big mallards with 1550 fps steel and having them fall down like you hit them with lead is overkill. Anyway thanks for the response.

You are absolutely correct. When it comes to steel loads, hyper velocity is not overkill. In fact, its almost a necessity for high retained energy with steel pellets. My comments were directed towards lead, TM, and bismuth. These are the only shot I handload (TM rarely as I have to salvage it from factory shells). I keep my bismuth handloads at about 1200 fps. They work great on decoying ducks and geese. Most of my 16s were made prior to 1924 I do not load steel shells. Bismuth works just fine for me. And it gives me good one shot kills on game (if I do my part with the gun). A tad expensive, but worth it, to me. Russ
Haiwee
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

I just joined the low-pressure group, and all I can say is WOW! It's going to take me a couple of weeks to digest all the information, and my wife may never see me again because I'll be in the garage trying out all the new recipes. I would urge anyone who is serious about shooting their old 16's to join the group -- the information is invaluable.
Sage-grouse Guy
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:25 am  Reply with quote

Hello All:

I'm having second thoughts about whether it was smart to send my $20 to the low pressure group 6 weeks ago or not.

Mr. Gray cashed my check and promised (twice) to send a CD-full of recipes, and I've seen nothing other than a much smaller e-file of loads I mostly can't use.

Meanwhile, I've got a vintage shoot to attend next weekend where I was hoping to use an improved load for my Damascus 16 ga., and instead I won't have didly.

Thanks,

Disappointed in Montana Crying or Very sad
Utah Shotgunner
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:06 am  Reply with quote

Sage-grouse Guy wrote:

Sage-grouse Guy,

Patience will be rewarded. The low pressure group is not a professional endeavour for RWG. He has a full time job and a family.

He WILL get the information to you.
RWG
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

Sage-grouse Guy wrote:
Hello All:

I'm having second thoughts about whether it was smart to send my $20 to the low pressure group 6 weeks ago or not.

Mr. Gray cashed my check and promised (twice) to send a CD-full of recipes, and I've seen nothing other than a much smaller e-file of loads I mostly can't use.

Meanwhile, I've got a vintage shoot to attend next weekend where I was hoping to use an improved load for my Damascus 16 ga., and instead I won't have didly.

Thanks,

Yes I will get it there this week. My apologizes (again).

PS Did you register with the chatroom and receive the download of test sheets and spreadsheets? This is the fastest way to get the data. The CD is just a back up copy and all the older test sheets and photos. No need to wait for the cd. If you need a new invite to the chatroom just pm me. Russ
RWG
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:12 am  Reply with quote

Sage-grouse Guy wrote:
Hello All:

Thanks,

Please check your PM inbox. Russ
John Davis
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

Russ, would you please contact me at jndavis@sowega.net with information on how to get/join the 16 ga. reloading info. Thanks, John Davis