16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Looking to Buy Used CZ Ringneck 16 G
2fewdaysafield
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:52 am  Reply with quote

Certainly not on my part.

I fear that Mr. gun dog is living in the past. Certainly, there was a time when the Huglu products were clearly inferior. No doubt about that.

There's a fella on another board....used to use all the popular derogatives to describe the Huglu guns. "Boat anchor, tomato stake, handles like a fence post, made by cave men" etc. Yup he used them all. Then he saw a newer example of an SGr. After examining it in some detail, his verdict was...."Looks like the Turks have learned to make a pretty decent gun." His usual comment now is that Huglu makes a pretty good field gun. His still says, which is quite fair, that while of clearly better quality than in the past, it is still to be seen if these guns can stand up to serious high volume clays shooting...25,000 rounds per year plus....but that for field use and casual clays (less than 5,000 rounds per year) the Huglu guns represent a very good value for $ spent. This is coming from a guy that has more "B-guns" than I have shotguns, whose preferred skeet gun is a K-gun and who shot his first skeet 400X400 last spring. In short, a fella that knows a fair amount about shotguns.

Times change...and the quality of brand names does too. I remember when "Toyota" was considered to be junk. When everything "Made in Japan" cost $0.10 and was made of plastic. I remember when Spanish shotguns were considered "junk".

If Mr. gun dog wants to go on living in the past, that's certainly his perogative. But its a shame when people by clinging to outdated "knowledge" steer other people away from a perfectly good quality product.

All that said, I trust nobody will interpret what I have written as suggesting that Huglu guns are $10K guns at 1/5th the price. But in a world where the cost of doubleguns is increasing faster than the National Debt, Huglu makes an excellent quality entry level double.

Regards.....2few