16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16ers Kansas Hunt
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

OK gentlemen-here's the plan but READ THIS DISCLAIMER FIRST: 16G. Society does not sponser/endorse/have anything to do with this. If you get shot, don't sue me or the 'site admin' 16g (but I hope he comes along Laughing )
We're going to meet at Montezuma, KS (between Liberal and Dodge) Mon. evening Nov. 13 and hunt with B&R Guide Services Tues. Nov 14. This is a family operated service, mom cooks, dad, Tom (a pharmacist in town) organizes, and son, Tim, coordinates the guides. We stay in their home in a large basement area which sleeps 8. You can check out their website at: www.brguides.com or e-mail: brguide@ucom.net or call Tom Brown at 866-413-2202 or their home in the evenings 620-846-2385. They have in the past hosted groups from the PGCA (Dave M Wink) The cost has gone up from that listed on the website (surprise) and is $250/man/day for the hunt and lunch in the field PLUS $60/man for room and supper and breakfast.
RULES:
1. The first (and only) 8 guys that get their deposit in to: B&R Guide Service Box 128 Montezuma, KS 67867 for $310 (one day room/board and hunt) are in.
2. EVEN 16GG, sissy-tori shooters, or (gasp Shocked) 12g. philistines are welcome.
3. B&R welcomes the use of our dogs BUT obviously 8 guys and 12 dogs can't all hunt together. YOU need to talk with Tim to figure out how we can best have a good hunt while using your pups. It may be that we'll have one group spending time with the guides and their dogs while another uses their personal dogs on K&B property and others may end up doing both. I wouldn't want to inflict my (by then) 1 yo setter pup on anybody but DO want to get him in the field for an hour or so watching a dog that knows what them dirty running pheasants are all about.
4. YOU may certainly organize more days hunting with K&B after the 14th OR maybe stay with them @ $60/night while hunting LOTS of good walk-in property in the area. I found some very good hunting around Meade last season. I know some guys plan on heading to N. Central KS after our hunt. I'll be on my way home from hunting KS and S. Dakota and likely stay with K&B both Mon and Tues night then drive on to Phoenix Weds.
5. Please direct any questions/concerns/special requests to Tom Brown-not me.
6. After sending your deposit-please e-mail me (NOT PM) at revdoc2@cox.net and give me your full name, personal e-mail & phone #. I'll use everybody's personal e-mail for sending out group updates/infro. You could certainly call me at 623-825-5353
7. If you want to fly out-your options are into Wichita then renting a car but it's another almost 4 hour drive OR fly to Denver then shuttle to Garden City and rent a car then about a 1 hour drive.
8. Be prepared for anything from 75 and S. wind to 50 and blowing rain to 30, sleet, and N. wind at 40. Also, that early in Nov., unless a big snow/cold event has occured, the hunting may be tough.
9. You WILL need a KS license. You can order that, and a map of walk-in property, from www.kdwp.state.ks.us
10. IF Fin and TJC are in, we'd just love to show you A5 boys what a 16g. Sterlingworth can do.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something but again please direct any questions to my personal e-mail rather than a PM.
Looking forward to hunting with you fellas. Laughing (even 16gg Wink)
Drew (Rev Drew Hause MD)
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:25 am  Reply with quote

As of this am we've got 3 guys in. Each has their own dog (only one un-identified 16er with a dog with class so far Wink) We'll probably end up having the lab guys hunt together and the pointing dog guys hunt together in the am then have a group hunt in the afternoon with the guides and their dogs to fill out any limits (or ALL the limits for the lab guys Laughing)
We know this is a long way out but do try to make decisions soon.
Drew
hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

Drew, you and your lab jab's are almost as funny as TJC talking about his wife hunting shoes. I'll email on the side after getting ahold of tjc. See what else us east coast boys can do to amuse ourselfs, as it's a longass drive for a days shooting, not that meeting all you guys wouldn't be worth it, but a hike none the less.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:06 am  Reply with quote

We now have two guys with their deposits in to K&B and 3 more very likely's. Looks like this may turn out to be a Merkel Mad vs. Sterlingworth Very Happy shoot off. Sissy-tori's still welcome Wink No Parkers yet Dave M. Rolling Eyes
Brad6260
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:33 am  Reply with quote

Ok Drew,

The Parker contingency has spoken. Me, my DHE 16 with my two labs in tow are 95+% committed.

Unfortunately it looks like Dave M has committed to taking his son on a deer trip so we should probably cut him some slack.

My plans as best I can see right now are to meet up with you guy's the 13th and hunt that area for a day or two depending on the bird action and then either drop a few hours south to the Black kettle area of OK for quail for a couple more days and/or work back to the NW to my beloved Beloit area for a few days there which is still my favorite area for spectacular public pheasant acreage. Or stay put wherever the public acreage is good and the birds are flying. Anyone that wants to try and coordinate anything beyond the 13th with me is welcome to drop me a line and discuss the possible scenarios.

Regards,
Brad

Brad6260@insightbb.com
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds great Brad. As we discussed in PMs, I hope things are set up so each guy can have lots of options either before or after our hunt the 13th. We should all plan on arriving for supper Tues the 12th. I'll probably be able to do some scouting for you by hitting walk-in around Meade (south of Montezuma) on my way to KC the 7th or 8th.
Good for Dave-maybe we can recruit another Parker guy for a Sterly vs Merkel vs Parker shoot Very Happy (I'll lend 3Doc my 12g Trojan if necessary)
Should have plenty of dog power with your labs, hunshatt's lab, and if TJC is in, his two drahthaars. Suspect my setter pup will be pretty clueless even after S. Dakota BUT THEM SETTER DOGS SURE R PURTY ON POINT (sometimes binoculars help Rolling Eyes)
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Since I am one of the sissytori owners I will weigh in here to say I would join you if I did not have to teach class at 11 am on the 13th about 600 miles from your planned hunt (I still haven't convinced the Dean that pheasant field work is job related Smile ). I am envious, but will make up for it on Dec. 15-18 when I am hunting with Last Chance Wings and Labs in Russell KS.

My report from Russell this week indicates that they got 2 inches of rain last week and 6 inches of snow and one of the guides labs (Boomer) won the National Championship. Oh and the birds were running all over the place in the snow. Is it December yet????

good luck.....

Dr. 16 Gauge
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:23 am  Reply with quote

Dr 16g.-now somebody smart as you ought to figure out a way to make a cyborg or sumthin' to deliver the lecture-you think the students could tell the difference?!? Laughing And what ever happened to 'sick days' (as in sick and tired of working) and teaching assistants? And you know we could come up with some bs 'research': 'Myocardial failure following transcutaneous acute lead intoxication in altitude adapted Phasianus torquatus'. Dean not buying it? Wink
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

Hey revdocDrew:

The Dean shot trap before he became Dean - can't sneak one by him. Teaching Assistants are only used in labs here - it is expected that tenured and tenure-track Faculty teach. I'm also on 9-month appointment - no vacation. It is amazing though how much "field work" can be done on non-class days Cool

In regards to pointing labs at Last Chance Wings and Labs in Russell KS - we hunt BIG fields, but dogs are NEVER more than 50 yards away. OFTEN the last 2 trips 4 dogs and myself could have been covered by a 30 yard circle. Know what you mean though - we had an english pointer in AL in my youth and she would point a covey 1/2 to 3/4 mile away while we were still getting the guns out of the cases.

Dr. 16 Gauge
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:47 am  Reply with quote

Kansas hunt update: Talked to Tom Brown at B&R today. Still very dry in western KS-got 10" snow in March but none of the big storms that went through central/eastern KS the last 2-3 weeks.
Good thing we got our date set and deposits in. One of his regular big groups wanted the whole week but he's holding our date for us. We all need to be there in time for supper Mon Nov 13 evening then will hunt Tues. Nov 14. The other group is arriving Tues. evening so we'll need to clear out, which is fine since we're all planning on hunting other areas (and if the Merkels show up, there won't be any birds left in the county anyway-I think the limit in KS now is 20 Laughing) Again, I'll be checking out some Walk-on property around Meade (south of Montezuma) on my way toward KC and S. Dakota the week before the hunt.
3Doc: this probably works out better for us. After the hunt, we can head west as far as we feel like going, Tucumcari or Santa Rosa and spend the night. I can have you at the Albuquerque airport by mid-morning to catch a noon or early afternoon flight to CA.
Right now we have 2 deposits in , 3 more very likely's, and some more 'lurkers'. PM or home e-mail me if anybody has any questions.

Last edited by revdocdrew on Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brad6260
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Drew,
Hunting on the 14th works much better for me than trying to get there by the morning of the 13th.

I'll be heading to hunt public areas North and East after the 14th for those who may be interested.

Brad
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:22 am  Reply with quote

And pray tell which of your sporting arms will you be bringing or just gonna toss the gun safe in the back with the pup and gun trade your way across Ky, Mo,Ok, and Ks? (There's always Neb and Ill too Laughing)
Wife still not buying the living in a double wide filled with M-21s (single trigger only) idea???
Brad6260
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:40 am  Reply with quote

Maybe I'll bring my Grade V Parkerettaworth !
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Update: We now have me, 3Doc, Brad6260 and Hunshatt (or a brain damaged setter dog and 3 goofus labs) Looks like we've got the whole country covered except the Northwest (and Texas-that's another country isn't it? Wink)
Rest of you 'lurkers' contact one of us if we can answer any questions. Looks to be a fun hunt.
Drew
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

Update: There are more lurkers (with hunting buddies) out there now so if you are serious, would suggest getting your deposit into B&R SOON to secure your spot. Again, we are limited to the first 8.
Western KS has continued to be dry but finally some good rain this week. Fin's been dodging twisters around Wichita for 3 wks though.
e-mail or call if I can answer any questions or rent anybody a Sterly Wink .
Drew