16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Pump[/autos vs doubles
Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:22 pm  Reply with quote

I very much like to shoot my Model 12 along with my SXS doubles. This past weekend it let me down though- it stopped ejecting and then eventually locked up tight! On taking it apart and cleaning, I found bits of dried grass that had gotten behind the bolt; the gun seems to be fine now. But even though I like the sheer solid "mechanicalness" of the Model 12, I was surprised to find that there is apparently a bit less reliability in pumps than I had thought Confused (I've never had a stoppage of any kind in a SXS). Now I'll have a second shotgun along on any trip I make!

GWP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:25 am  Reply with quote

The only complete failure I have had in fourty years of shooting was my Model 12. The firing pin broke. I have had to get stuck shells out of other guns, plus other problems, but that was the only time I could not continue shooting.
bdicki
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:13 am  Reply with quote

Side by side horizontal or vertical I like having a tighter choke for a second shot if needed.
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

Powderburn wrote:

Quote:
I also always found it sort of patriotic in an odd sort of way to shoot a pump as a sort of tribute to our yank or American heritage and our ingenuity of inventing great mechanical devices.

I don't see the distinction between a pump/auto vs. a sxs/ou as a patriotic preference, but rather as a personal preference that reflects something else in an individual's "I don't know what". After all, Parkers, Foxes, Elsies, Ithacas, Bakers, and Lefevers are all uniquely "American" guns. No one would argue, I would think, that these old doubles are not just as "American" as a Norman Rockwell painting, a Sears, Robuck and Co. catalogue, or a Radio Flyer Wagon.

So, I am not sure what the preference one way or another definitively means, but I can tell you some things that the choice to shoot a pump or an autoloader over a side by side or a over/under is not about. Its not about patriotism, philosophy, political party affiliation, or nostalgia. Its also not about the love or appreciation of mechanical designs, ingenuity, or a well made tool. Its not about craftsmanship, engraving, or good wood. And perhaps more importantly, is definitely not about splendor, extravagance, or status. All of these characteristics --from American ingenuity to fine craftsmanship-- can be found on any gun made in the USA --from the tiniest pistol to the longest muzzleloading rifle.

Rather, something tells me that the preference to shoot an autoloader or a pump over a side by side or an over/under has more to with a particular mindset that appreciates and values power over agility, pragmatism over impracticality, the complex over the simple. Its not that there aren't powerful side by sides or over/unders or petite autoloaders and pumps. There are plenty of both. However, to prefer an autoloader or a pump over a side by side or an over/under reflects, I believe, a basic and perhaps accurate belief that implies "to do more, you simply need more." On the flip side of this coin, fools like me who choose a side by side or an over/under are under the false impression that they can do "just as much, with less." Or perhaps stated another way, as misguided as it may seem, those guys like me who who choose to shoot a double in the field while everyone else is carrying a pump or an autoloader are saying either consciously or unconsciously that "I can do in two shots, what you can do in three or even five shots". And, if there is any arrogance in shooting a double gun, it extends from this very basic and egotistical claim.

And that is why I choose to shoot a double gun! Only in my particular case, as my friends will more than happily tell you, I have been proven flat out wrong time and time again in my "more, with less" attitude. My friends who shoot pumps and autoloaders always seem to shoot more ducks, quail, pheasants, and chuckar than I do. But yet, I still carry my old doubles in the hope that someday I "might" be "right." Some, such as Einstein would have you believe that this is the definition of insanity; "doing the same thing over and over again, with the expectation of different results." Others would say that my love of the double gun is pure "folly." But folly often implies that there is reason in our play and given these two options, I'll choose folly over insanity any day.

You see as I continue to grow older, I find that I am surrounding myself more and more with toys. While everyone knows that little boys need toys to play with, I also believe that grown men need toys to remind themselves of the boy inside them. And without toys to play with just in folly-- I am convinced that a man will forever lose the boy inside him, and as a result, lose a part of himself.

So whether its two shots or three in an autoloader, a pump, a side by side, or an over/under so long as your having fun with your toys --who really cares?
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

Doctor, at one time I shot a nice Beretta O/U all the time when I hunted. Then I started watching who was, shooting better on both clays and pheasants. So I took some good advice and started shooting an autoloader. I am convinced that there are pros and cons for using both, and learning how to shoot (something I still am trying to figure out) will sort it out better than any other approach. Shoot those double guns and have fun. Learn to shoot and you will have your buddys switching to doubles guns!!!
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:26 pm  Reply with quote

I have no trouble at all doing what I need to do with any of the types of shotguns mentioned. They all fit, all of them that I own are made well, and frankly I have trouble deciding which type, and which gun, to take on an excursion, be it for targets or game.

And, to be even more frank, all of this "gauge " stuff we like to throw around is BS too when the rubber hits the road---with a couple of caveats: if you are professionally competing at a live pigeon, clay target or a sporting clays shoot for money or titles, or hunting geese, the 12 gauge is the gun that usually best does the job. But, on game birds hunted by a reasonably accomplished shot with a conscience, I can use my 20 ga. Beretta Silverhawk or the Merkel 1620 or the Model 12 20 ga. or the Sweet 16 A-5 or the Citori Lightning 16 or 28 ga. and the birds don't know the difference---and neither do I.

As we all should know by now---shoot what you like and can afford, and don't let the bullsh-t spoil your party.

gunsrus
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

Well spoken Dr .
Highcountry
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

The repeater vs double gun debate is a hot topic throughout the different websites on the internet as well as camp fires, and it is fun to debate the various advantages and disadvantages of each. Personally, I have carried them all over the years, in fact about 55 yrs, and I lean towards doubles these days. Not because I am an elitist, but because I hunt prairie birds where the miles walked between shots is much greater than say quail hunters in Texas. And when those precious birds are found, shots at multiple birds are rare. The doubles just carry better for me than repeaters and I prefer the power of 16s and 12s when hunting tough birds like pheasants. When I lived in TX and hunted bobs, I frequently carried a Benelli 20 ga which is very light but just doesn't carry as well as my Merkel 1620 or Jeffery BLE 2.5" 12ga. Both which I believe are a little heavier than the Benelli.

Hunting with old American guns does appeal to me but over the years I traded off my Lefevers, Elsies, and Foxes (all lower grades) for which I need a big kick in the butt for doing. I do have a few old American repeaters (Ithaca M37 16ga, Win M42 '410, Rem 11-48 28ga) that I enjoy playing with occasionally.

But as Dr. D stated, it is really all about having fun, so get out and shoot those guns!

BTW - - HAPPY NEW YEAR!

GWP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

Dr., I think you are overthinking this! Good thoughts, but geez! I think it is as simple as "what you want to shoot".
My brother in law will drop three (max allowed in the chamber here) with three in his auto, or pump. He has switched to an 20 ga. O/U! I think it is because of the lighter weight, plus it swings fast. He is one of the most 'hard core' hunters I have ever known, and he covers some ground during the upland season. He is also one of those irritating people that regularly gets his limit of birds.
I have found that on my first 'buck fever' shots of the season I shoot better with the SXS than any of the other styles I own.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

Highcountry said it well for me.

I like them all, but one other practical advantage for a double that matters to me is the ease of unloading and putting the gun away when returning to my truck. I have two go-getter birddogs, and there are issues involved when unloading my gun and keeping my dogs crated and not getting hit by other vehicles. It's just so easy to crack open the SxS or OU, unload it, and put it away. If I'm near a road I keep my younger dog on the jeager lead, and grab the collar on my other dog if a vehicle comes along. I've noticed the whole routine is so much smoother with a hinged gun. In Wisconsin, if your uncased gun touches your vehicle, loaded or not, you'll get pinched by the wardens, so it literally is a juggling act with dogs, guns, and vehicles. The doubles just make all of that much easier and safer for all involved.

That said, I still use my Rem 11 auto and hunted for years and years with pumps, but this year with a routy pup along, I really noticed how much easier the truck routine goes with my doubles.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

I don't think it's a matter of which is better, or which is more patriotic. I think it's a matter of using the right tool for the job at hand, and the right tool is largely a matter of preference.

But, not always. When it comes to hunting ducks and geese over decoys, I want that third shot. I've dropped a few birds with a third shot after hitting them once or more.

I prefer doubles, but I also own autos and pumps. Why choose one over the other when you can have both?
walt lister
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

"Its also not about the love or appreciation of mechanical designs, ingenuity, or a well made tool."

Dr David, I can't let this quote of yours pass without giving you another perspective on the matter.
I was talked into buying a 16ga model 12 in 1967 or so to go along with the 12 and 20 ga S/Ss I had been hunting with.
I am a retired tool and die maker with 48 years in the trade. As such I do have a sense of appreciation for machinery having worked with it for so many years. I was then and am now convinced that the model 12 (and other pumps and I suppose automatics also by association) are much better representation of Americas mechanical genious than all the Parkers,LCs etc ever made. The S/Ss for all their beauty and grace ( I own several) are but a continuation of designs laid down more than a century ago in other countries. Pumps and autos on the other hand are quintessentially American and owe nothing to anyone other than the geniuses who designed them. It IS possible to appreciate them for not only their firepower but for their unique mechanical design and execution as a massed produced fine TOOL for the activity for which they were designed. Every time I clean my model 12s I am struck by the fact that this wonderfully durable hunting TOOL was made in the millions at a price that almost anyone could afford. I went out last week with a 20ga Model 1912 that was made in 1918 that cost under $40 then and took a few quail. I carry it with every bit as much pride as I do my AYA rd body 16 or new 28ga RBL.

Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

Well said. (even though my 12 gave me a problem lately, I still like it for the reasons you said)

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

Walt, that was simply a great post!

When I really want to hit something with my FIRST shot, I grab my 76 year old Remington 11. You're right, it's not always about the firepower.

Great perspective on the design and American heritage too!
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:06 am  Reply with quote

Walt,

My point here was not that the pump or auto isn't an amazing American design, but rather that American ingenuity is not limited to, or necessarily solely represented by, the pump or the autoloader. American gunmakers have a lot to brag about! What is often overlooked by some, is that American design and ingenuity also played a very important role the invention of the modern doublebarreld breechloading hammerless shotgun as well. Think, for example, about Dan Lefever.

While I am no expert, I believe that Daniel Myron Lefever is one of two authentic geniuses in the history of American gun design and manufacturing. The other of course is John Moses Browning. And just as John Browning's contributions to the repeater forever changed our vision of the shotgun, Dan Lefever launched a revolution that not only transformed American gunmaking, but his ideas about the breechloader also played a major role in the development of the modern hammerless shotgun.

As others more knowledgeable than I can explain, Lefever started building guns in 1856 before the European breechloading shotgun was even in its infancy. In 1872, Lefever and his partner Dangerfield were assigned a patent for a thumb operated bolting system for a break action gun. Then, by 1875 Uncle Dan was actually advertising his own breech loading doubled barreled shotgun! It wasn't until a full year later when W.W. Greener came to the U.S. and won a prize in the Continental Exposition for a hammerless breechloader (built on Murcott's 1871 patent). In the same Exposition, John Deeley from Westley Richards demonstrated his invention for the first hammerless breechloader that was cocked using the leverage created by opening the barrels. While these guys were busy showing off, Lefever on the other hand was at work designing the rib extension or dolls head to help keep a gun closed and was continuing to solve other problems associated with the action of modern breechloader. In 1878, Lefever exhibited a breechloading gun at the Sportsmans Association and took home the only two gold medals up for grabs; one for the best American breechloading gun and the other for the best breechloading gun in the world! Now, some have tried to claim that like Greener, Lefever used Murcott's design as a point of departure. But this is pure nonsense and any close inspection of Lefever's action reveals that it is clearly very different from Murcott's. Finally, as testament to Lefever's ingenuity, H.A. Linder of Germany began building guns using Lefever's patents and later exported them around the world under the Charles Daly name. There is more, but I hope you get the idea.

Thus, when it comes to the shotgun, as an American I believe we have much more to be proud of than just the pump and autoloader --amazing and magnificent accomplishments as they are. Dan Lefever was right there from the beginning and didn't just build upon or enhance a European design for the modern doublebarreled breechloadering shotgun. Rather, contrary to what many believe about the development of the modern double barrled shotgun, Dan Lefever actively participated in the creation of the side by side, and his "Automatic Hammerless" is a true masterpiece.

So, I hope along side everyone's appreciation for the Model 12, the Model 31, or the Model 37 you all save a little praise for the fine and uniquely "American" doubles that Uncle Dan invented and built. Besides, don't you just hate when the English or the French take credit for everything?